Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point of impact

CZ's Avatar CZ

Default Point of impact

I have got one more thing i want to ask... if i am setting in my gun by DIALING in and i go up to max magnification while doing this and i bring back the magnification to minumun ... DOES THE POINT OF IMPACT CHANGE IF IT IS SET ON MAX MAGNIFICATION AND I SHOOT ON A LOWER MAGNIFICATION PLEASE HELP!!!! :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :screwy :screwy :screwy

I HAVE GOT A NS 6X24X44 SCOPE
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It should not change.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I read in Magnum (it must be a few yr back) they shouldn't, but they do. The better the scope, the less POI change will be noticed. variable magnification scopes are usually less strong than fixed Mag scope of the same price too.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I found with the lynx scope when new there was a small shift.After a bit of use its spot on.The Hawk scope I had was not reliable when changing magnification.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The only way to find out what your scope will do is to take it to the range and play with it. Shoot of a good bench rest to be sure of your shots.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Always range find at maximum and ALWAYS shoot at a set magnification. That way you will should not have a shift in POI.

CZ's Avatar CZ

SO gerrie if i set in at 24 mag and shoot at about 16 will that be ok

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I range at the max mag, but only shoot on a lower mag. I sight in with the same lower mag aswell.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, if you ask me, that is fine, but always, consistently do that. Most of us do it Avion?s way, some guys range AND shoot at the SAME mag, high or low. Just bear in mind that you will FEEL more stable at low mag. It is an illusion. Remember that the high mag also magnifies your movement by the same number as you set it. So you are still moving around on the target, but you don?t see it, it has a psychological effect on you, when letting off the shot. That is why I can?t believe it when I miss the kill zone. I think I was spot on but I was all over the place at 10x mag.
    Some of the guys I know:
    Hennie: Range 50x Shoot 10x
    Herman:Range 16x Shoot 8x
    Jason: Shoots and range at 30x(I think)but it was the same the last time I looked.
    Dale: He says: At the highest mag I can find.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

In an ideal world all variable scopes would experience no detectable POI shift when the mag is changed, however this is not the case.

By and large wandering POI when zooming is far less common now than it used to be, but it is fair to say the better the quality scope the less likely you are to have a problem.

FWIW I would be inclined to say that you should learn to use the maximum magnification as much as possible. It may seem difficult to start with but you will quickly become accustomed to it.

Now with My Mk4 (fixed 32x) and my T36 (fixed 36x) I hav no noption on mag, but even my 20-50 very seldom gets moved off the full 50x magnification.

Dale

CZ's Avatar CZ

ONE MORE... does it make a diff if i set my gun in in the shade or must it be in direct sunlight :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

What I found is that now that i shoot at 50 mag I cant go back to a lower mag.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

CZ,

If by that you mean calibrating your range markings, then yes light levels can make an appreciable difference. I always try to set up my range markings on a day when it is 'bright overcast conditions' so that the light is not extreme for glare or shade and I find the range markings are more stable across light conditions than if done in extremes of conditions.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue May 09 2006, 01:41PM ]</span>

CZ's Avatar CZ

Thanks your advice has helpme a LOT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did you guys know that with a change in temp your POI changes a little. With a big rifle like my 30-06 the change can be as mutch as 2 clicks @ 100m ?