Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulator for S400

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Regulator for S400

Is it possible to fit a regulator to my standard s400 classic and will this be beneficial for me.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Neal, yes it is possible, but expensive. Allan asked me something similar by email and I copy my reply here:

"Right, first the Taylor regulator, it is not a case of I don't like them, it is that it costs around ?200 to have fitted. To put in perspective that is equal to around 100 fills of my 12 litre 300 Bar bottle. Now from each fill of the bottle, I can fill my S400 at least 30 times. So as you can see, given that I get at least 80 good, highly consistent shots per fill there is a minimum of 2400 shots per fill of my bottle, so 240000 shots without a reg for the cost of the installation. Also without the reg the rifle is easily serviced by me. So it is a simple economic decision i.e air is cheap."

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice.

Dale

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

I Have a press fit regulater in the drawing stage for the BAM and S400/ 410 and am just trying to find a machine shop that will do a small run at reasonable cost. Its the setting of the rifle after the reg that takes the time. I will also make an off rifle jig to set the pressure. It will not be held in place by screws but rather by the back pressuer it the tube.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A regulater makes the rifle a bit more accurate doesn't it ? Because it allows only the same amount of air to go into the barrel each time, thus your spread of the velocity between shots are a lot less ?

Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

not so enzace... an S400 has no regulator, but from 150-110 bar you will get approx. 60-80 shots that are accurate enough, see S400 thread...
    regulator will just increase shot count... although i chose to shoot last years worlds with a S400 because it has no reg. wich can cause trouble... i know of a couple of people around us that have reg. problems... and hear stories of guns breaking in world events due to regs too....

so in my opinion its a waste... i shot 67 shots today at a patch the size of a 5 rand coin at 45yrds, and not one shot went out even with the slight curve of the speed variation... +- 12fps....

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    ... i shot 67 shots today at a patch the size of a 5 rand coin at 45yrds, and not one shot went out even with the slight curve of the speed variation... +- 12fps....
    Jason what happened to "I dont practice"

2ndly why 67 shots ?

As Dale said I asked him tha sme sort of question,If I just had the B&^ls to send my gun for a reg I would have 1 already.Dales argument makes good sence.i think I am a bit too technically minded.I would like all my shots to be on the button as far as speed goes.Not that i think I could drive my gun all that well.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just to throw an extra variable into the equation, I used to own a Pro-T (regret selling it) which was regged. The shot to shot consistency was actually not as good as the unregged S400. The same goes for my BSA S10 (regged) and both of my GC2's.

A reg will increase shot count, but at a cost and to me air is one of the cheaper aspects of this game. Reliability and servicing are also an issue to consider. The Pro-T / EV2 regs are easy to access and service if there is a problem. In fact if I suffered an O-ring failure at a comp with the Pro-T, I could have serviced it in the field and got it up and running again without having to upset the zeroing of the scope. If the same thing happens to one of my GC2's then I am screwed (fortunately things like this don't happen very often, but they will generally happen at the least convenient moment).

Now don't get me wrong regs can be useful, particularly if a rifle has a limited shot count eg. my Daystate Huntsman FTR Mk1 made in about 1989/90, about 40 good shots without reg to about 100 with. However taking the more efficient 400 series action, my long action rifle gives over 80 shots from a 150 Bar fill with a shot to shot variation of <8fps and ES <20fps - a reg is not going to offer much improvement on that other than giving more shots and as pointed out above at a cost of around ?200 that equals nearly a quarter of a million shots if the money spent on a reg is put towards refilling my bottle. As the maximum FT course is 50 targets that gives a 30 shot surplus on every fill for zeroing/ chronoing and so on.

Still at the end of the day 'you pays your money and takes your choice' as they say.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed May 17 2006, 08:53AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Warrick ,

Go & see Alex Mcdonald at Alpha McDelta in Suffert Street , Pinetown , opposite the Electrical wholesalers . Tell him I sent you , so that he can bad mouth me & get it off his chest , then he'll talk to you .
    Good old man !

Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

oh yes, forgot to answer you questions allan, 67 shot... with my big cylinder, funny hey? i dont know what the story is, apparently the valving systems are different, and i must have a 67shots valving spec

when me and marguitte first ran her S400 "claasic" through the crony, we filled to 170 bar, and started the shooting, i think it started at +-768fps, rose to about 780fps at 150 bar, AND SQUEEZED through 91 SHOTS until it got to 110 bar.....

basically what that does, is confuse the cack out of my pip!!!!!
    and then there's me, with my super long tank shooting 67 shots... lakker...

dale do you know if the valving system is deffinatly diff. between new and old 400's...

Regards practicing allan, i DONT!, that was a once off!!! but im staring to now, especially after the last fun shoot... my socks are slowly slipping down, so i must give them a little bit of a "TREK", and start practicing again.... especially for poland!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

But all the 10m olympic rifles have regulators and they are the most accurate rifles you get, aren't they ? So whey do they fit a regulater when it doesn't help ?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Enzace , I also thought that the 10m rifles would be a good buy for FT.Then all the blokes told me.10M 100% any futher than that they suck.So for now I will play with my S400.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

10m rifles are very accurate,no denying. Yet i still say take any Ft racegun like the Steyr, Ev2 etc. and shoot them at 10m. The accuracy will be the same as a dedicated 10m gun, or as near to the same as to make no difference. You could even take a good S400 and shoot it on 10m and you'll get 1 shot groups most ,if not all the time. If you look at an example of the groups that are achievable on 50m with some guns I think you'll agree.

The dedicated 10m guns are just that, they have all the adjustments to suit the shooter shooting the 10m targets . That is their strong point. Just my opinion...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

True, but I don't think that you will shoot so good with a s 400 because the haven't got all the settings like te 10m guns. The balance is also very important and that is where the 10m rifles are very very good.

They also shoot low velocity so if the pellet has a small chip or something it won't go so far out of line.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree, as I've said the 10m guns do have all the adjustments to suit nearly any person.Balance is also very important if you consider using the airgun for other things like Ft not just 10m shooting. That is also why we have all the different kinds of airguns. From your match 10m rifles or ft raceguns up to the cheap springers sold at fleamarkets.To suit each persons pocket as wel as shooting style.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Look at it this way: You can shoot 10m with a S400 as well as with a 10m rifle BUT you can't shoot FT as well with a 10m rifle, as you could with a S400. This statement has been proven at the 10.9 shoot, some time ago.