Thread: Bench rest for springers

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Default Bench rest for springers

Hallo everyone,

I am a novice at air rifle shooting :? and forums. I hope this one works. I have just bought a HW97K with NS 4-12x44 Platinum scope, Waiting for delivery, have not setup yet.

Which of the following would be best to help setting up the rifle as i am not an expert shot.

Sand bags
    Bags filled with sunflower seeds
    Sand bags with neoprene (med dencity) on top.

tia

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

IMO any stable rest will do, the only thing to remember ... don't try and hold any springer down. Let it bounce when a shot is fired.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The sand bags will be fine provided you support the foreend with your hand as you would when shooting offhand use the sandbags to support your hand.

Reason for this is spring rifles have a tendency to alter their recoil characteristics if placed directly onto anything and will give you erratic results. By maintaining your normal hold on the rifle this tendency can be pretty well eliminated.

Also as Neil states do not try and control the recoil, let the rifle react "naturally" - the recoil on a 97K will be quite light but it needs to be held consistently to get the best results.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My 97K had very little recoil as opposed to my Gammo 440, however -
    I got a big variation of POI when using a sand bag and then my hand.
    In the end I just used my hand rested on something firm and steady. Got very consistant results with this.

hth

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hmmm, interesting I have not had a problem using hand resting on sand bag - still just goes to showe that what works for one person may not always work for another.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry Dale, my grammar ain't so good. <blush>
    I was trying to agree with your first paragraph in your first post.

If I just used the sand bags, as opposed to using my hand between the rifle and sand bags. I mean to say that so long as my hand is under the rifle it doesn't seem to matter if I'm using sand bags, tree branch, wall or any other firm support - then my shots are consistant.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Would you really rest your beautiful wooden stock on a tree branch and let it bounce around??
    Rather put your hand under the fore-end for every shot and have consistent results that way...only way to shoot a springer IMHO.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Avion,

No problem, my misunderstanding.

Dale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Try and hold the rifle in the exact same spot for every shot. Sounds simple but look at people shoot from differant positions and how their grip changes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

as mentioned above..........
    the key is consistency...........springers are rather hold sensitive when compared with pcp's. try hold/do the same for every shot, and as lewis said it's not easy when switching positions. personally i actually get different POI's for diff. posi's. having said that, the variation is small/insignificant at practical springer hunting range, but the difference is there.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Did you get your rifle ?

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Yes thanks lewis. I did get the rifle. Had an absolute feast shooting with it. I felt however that my stock might be to long. Taking it to John Brussel to measure and adjust, next week some time.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Those fold up camping chair work a whizz, using the back rest.

REP: March Optics & Boyds Blanks

User Info Menu

Guys this thing of resting a springer on your hand and your hand on the sandbag is seriously no hogwash!I tried this yesterday with my CFX and HW97K and if you rest it directly on a bag you might aswell forget getting a grouping.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

WOW some searching , this post is 5 years old.