Thread: Leapers 3-9x50

Administrator
    Rest in Peace Johan - 07/11/2013

User Info Menu

Default Leapers 3-9x50

I recently bought myself a Leapers 3-9x50 from Guido. I almost made up my mind too late as Guido was about to go away. I placed the order and made the payment on the Thursday morning and the scope was in my grubby little paws the next morning. The scope came so well packaged that I spent a good five minutes opening the package with a SHARP knife, no way on earth that the scope could have gotten hurt in transit. So STIRLING service from Guido, his brilliant reputation is well deserved.

Now a bit about the scope itself. EVERYTHING I needed to mount the scope was In the package.

Scope
    Mounts
    Allen keys
    Spare cap screws for the mounts
    Flip up caps
    Sun shade
    Lense cloth
    Scope cover
    Literature
    Two batteries for the illuminated reticle one of which is a spare.

The level is NOT included in the package.

My previous Leapers experience wasn't great. Not that the scope was bad, it was in fact a lovely scope with great optics. I just didn't get on with the eye relief. I took the chance on this scope because I couldn't get the Gamo scope I was after and it wasn't huge money if the scope and I didn't get on.

So popped it onto my QB (The HW50S that the scope is destined for is still with MZE) and had a play. It worked for me and I was most satisfied. Not too long after that I got my S200 and the scope found a temporary home until the budget allows for a bigger scope for the S200. The 3-9 was bought specifically for PC and is not my first choice for the various activities for which the S200 is intended.

I've used the scope and rifle for bench rest PC and over the past weekend for an FT night shoot. It has done everything I've asked of it very well.

The scope is clear and focuses well at all the ranges I've used it at. Between about 8 and 50 metres.

The light gathering ability is just awesome, I was doing some rodent control a few weeks back in the late afternoon and I could still see targets through the scope long after the naked eye couldn't. It also accounted well for itself at the FT nightshoot, easily aquiring the illuminated targets. The detail visible on both occasions was more than adequate.

The illuminated reticle which by the way I thought was just a gimmick has proven to be so useful in those low light conditions. Having the variable settings for it makes it easy to get just the right level of light on the reticle without destroying ones night vision. The reticle has both green and red Illumination.

The turret locks are a bit cumbersome as one needs an allen key to lock or unlock the turrets. This is no issue when the scope is used for the intended task of PC as one sets it up at the desired zero and lock the turrets. Clear easy to see mildots make short work of compensating for different ranges.

Setting the Scope:
    Use the supplied allen key to loosen off the cap screws in the turrets. The scope can now be adjusted as per normal. Undoing them a bit further allows one to set the turrets to zero. Then hold the turrets down and retighten the screws and the scope is set, zeroed and locked. The turrets are clearly marked and easy to read.

The scope holds zero perfectly.

The lense caps that come with the scope fit well and close very positively. The larger one can be a bit awkward to open and close properly with just one hand, but one soon learns the knack of doing so.

Likes and dislikes.
    I really like the low light ability of the scope.
    I like the way it focuses, you could probably do some fairly accurate range finding, it's that good. (I'm just not sure how far out this would work.)
    I enjoy the ease of use of the illuminated reticle
    It's nice to be able to fit the cap to the Sun shade as well.
    The chunky control's are a breeze to operate too.

I don't like the hassle of needing an allen key to unlock and lock the turrets.
    I'd like a finer reticle for bench use, but the reticle is acceptable for the intended application of PC.

There are some more photo's here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thank you for that Johan. It looks like a really nice scope and at a great price!

Administrator

User Info Menu

I doubt that you could get better for the money.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

nice review, well done!

MRP

User Info Menu

Price?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Albatroscem View Post
    Price?
    Contact Guido in the post above your's. I didn't include the price in the review because the prices are always changing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Johan, waar het jy die klein "waterpas" op die teleskoop gekry ?
    Kom dit saam met die teleskoop ?
    Dit pas so netjies, langer skroef op die mount ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DEE View Post
    Johan, waar het jy die klein "waterpas" op die teleskoop gekry ?
    Kom dit saam met die teleskoop ?
    Dit pas so netjies, langer skroef op die mount ?
    I've been waiting for this question

No it doesn't come with the scope.

It's a SportsMatch item available as a special order item from Robbie. (Item no SP3) https://www.airrifle.co.za/showthrea...953#post256953

It has a special replacement screw that it mounts onto. It really works well, just make sure that it does in fact mount level. I'll do some photo's in a separate thread when I fit the new scope to the S200.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I shot a club event the other day with just such a 3-9x50, awesome budget unit. I actually like the locking turrets because once set up, they don't move which is a plus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I shot a club event the other day with just such a 3-9x50, awesome budget unit. I actually like the locking turrets because once set up, they don't move which is a plus.
    I'm going to have to get more of these for the kids. They love them.

An 8 and 10 year old who often battle with sight acquisition have no trouble with this scope. The chunky manification/zoom and focus ring's works well with their fingers too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nice review Johan, I think one of those will go nicely on my TX200HC 5.5

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't forget the 4-16 x 50.
    Works really well for me for PC.
    12x is very nice mag for me to PC on.
    Same telescope, just bigger mag.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Johan, nice review - I have the same one, also from Guido and all I can do is confirm all you've said - great service and great scope for the money. It will be doing duty on a new acquisition - sorting out a few teething problems and will post in near future...