Thread: 100 yard accuracy?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default 100 yard accuracy?

Yesterday I read on airgunbbs forum an old post about Theoben Elliminators(the gas ram break barrel airguns)and according to the first owner he said that his Elliminator is more accurate at 100 yards than his FAC PCP,there were several responses from other Elliminator and PCP owners confirming the first guys post.They said it might have something to do with the fact that Springers/Gas rams directs a higher air pressure on the pellets thereby every pellets shape will be exactly the same(deformed the same way) and this causes the greater accuracy at the longer ranges where as PCP directs a more gradual release of air on the pellets thus not causing deformation..

What do the Pro's think about this?Is this a case for the Myth Busters?

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no...that is one isolated case.

I corresponded with a local chap who had a .22 Eliminator..he said it was a nightmare to shoot at the higher power levels and eventually detuned it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Some of the okes on the post said that it should be tune/detuned to about 28fpe an then most recommended JSB Exacts. Apparantly there was a booklet by Terry Doe(?) supplied with the rifles to teach you how to shoot them accuratelly.
    Please Guido make my day and say that the Gas ram/Springer can be more accurate than a PCP? I surely would love an Elliminator,only saw one at last years AIM Show,I belive the guy from Woodchuks owned it, cant be sure.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In black power guns (or reduced nitro loads for BP guns), they always say you need enough pressure for hallow-base bullets to expand to take up the rifling but I don't think it makes a different in airguns.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here is the page for that article:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/arch...p/t-45610.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'd be hesitant to dismiss it offhand as one isolated incident if other Theoben and PCP owners confirmed it.

Hmmm warrants further investigation methinks...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Airking it sounds like you are really keen on springers!!

I cannot lie to you and tell u that they will be more accurate than PCPs because they are not.

They are more difficult to shoot accurately especially at long ranges off a bench.

On the other hand if you persevere and practice with them you can get outstanding results...just stick to the mid-powered springers though...max 16ft\lbs region.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

springer vs pcp at long range accuracy...

not a chance my friend...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1148046269=guido]

They are more difficult to shoot accurately especially at long ranges off a bench.

On the other hand if you persevere and practice with them you can get outstanding results...[/quote1148046269]

Guido is right, just because a gun is accurate doesn't mean anyone can shoot it accurately. For example, a single shot T/C encore pistol in 375JDJ is more accurate than a .22lr plinker, say something in the line or borwning buckmark or a 4inch Ruger MkI especially during windy days or over long ranges but 99%+ of all gunowners shoot the plinkers better because they are more user frinedly. I know the example is abit extreme but the same principles apply.

With a practice, good result can be achieved but if you spend the same kinda of effort on a PCP of the same quality you might even be better than good.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Must be an April fools post :jester

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

A springer does not produce higher pressure than PCP. The PCP rifle produces a much higher pressure in a very short pulse. A spring or gas ram rifle produces a slower dynamic pulse!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

May I correct U

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan

May
    I correct U
    :toocool

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No chance. I'm sorry but with my BAM I can get 3 pellets in 1.5 inch @ 100m but I have never even had 3 pellets in 2 inches with a springer @ 90m. It may be because the pcp is much easyer to shoot accurate but I can't see that a springer will be better at long range than a pcp.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Swannie , you May :jester

I cant see how this can be true.I battle to keep the springer under control while pulling off a shot.Never mind aiming accuratly.To my mind if you cant control the weapon you dont have a chanse of it being more accurate.Then again I have not been shooting all my life .So I might just not be able to cut the bacon like some.