Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-round scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default All-round scope

Hi all
    I would like to get some comments on what would be the best all-round scope for field-target, hunting,10m and so on?
    ¤¤¤

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Neal,

If you want a good scope that is capable of doing a bit of everything then look for something around the 5-20, 6-24 or 8-32 magnification ranges - just make sure that it will focus close enough before parting with any cash though.

In the UK I would say look at scopes marketed as Opti-Mate, although I believe that in SA these same scopes are offered by Lynx. Nikko Stirling scopes are also worth looking at as well.

One thing I would always say is try and buy the best you can afford you will notice the difference.

Dale
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There can never the an ideal scope for your "unique" requirements. (we are all looking for that one).
    FT = high mag
    Hunting = low to med mag
    10m = peep sites, no scopes allowed
    When shooting FT you want relatively high magnification, not for the shooting but for the rangefinding, the higher the mag the quicker the scope will snap in and out of focus, making rangefinding very accurate. 24x mag in FT (not HFT) is really "entry" level, ideal is the 32x, 40x and 50x (the higher the better).
    In hunting you want the "lower" mags to have a wider field of view, IMO 10x is now enough, meaning that you could actually go for a 10-50x.
    Research on the internet is the way to go here, I can't tell you what to buy.
    Like I said, look at the 6-24, 8-32 and 10-50 and then make your choice. Oh yes, check the weight of the scopes !!
    When looking at scopes ... you get what you pay for !
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nikko diamond sportsman 6-24 X42 is really good but pricy............
    the best compromise imho in ZA is the nikko platinum tactical/nighteater 4-16 X 50 30mm tube.
    excellent optics, really bright/sharp, nice and small md's, saddle focus......and the price is really competitive. my mate and i both got it on our s410k's..........he's so impressed with it, he's gona get another for his S10. parallax from 10m-infinity too............
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus,
    what's the price on the 4-16x50 ?
    ¤¤¤

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

mmm..this 4-16X50 with the sidewheel focus sounds like the Leapers [USA] or AGS {UK¤¤
    Does it have brass finger turrets and a small sidewheel?
    It sells for $140 from Natchezz and about 200UKP in the UK
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nah............not the ags/leapers (they are x56)
    this one's got the small side wheel, same style as the open type sniper turrets (1/8th)......
    nice mil dots (small on thin cross hair) 6 on each side.
    one downside though...........they don't come with any covers and the objective end is cut in an angle. and no one's got 30mm mounts in ZA at the mo, i had to bring some in myself.

afaik, they retail for around R1500..............

ha neilg, 5*'s i see..........so i guess guido's next.
    AGS brings them in...........2 versions though............
    10 to infinity and 25 to infinity.
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This would be a very nice Benchrest scope ...
    I don't like 1/8th clicks for FT.
    EXCELLENT price ! VERY GOOD OPTICS 4 DA PRICE !
    ¤¤¤

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Remember to get a mill dot or similar reticule (spelling). This helps with aiming off for wind etc.
    30/30 reticules are a waste for Air rifles.
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice.
    Ok, now all that scope talk made me go get a scope. I got myself a Hawke 5.5-16X44. Get home, take off old scope, fit new scope. S*#t, new scope does not fit on the one piece mount.
    Will any pair of good quality mounts do or is there something specific you blokes would recommend.
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Neal,
    (vely impotant) what gun ?
    Just a note : nikko platinum tactical/nighteater 4-16 X 50 30mm tube is still a better buy (IMHO)
    Nikko Optics MUCH better than the Hawke !
    Why not give it back 2 da dealer and ask him to order the Nikko 4 u. (it's worth the wait and the price for the 2 should be about the same)
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i assume you've got a springer......and there's not enough clearance with the old mounts.
    i would suggest hawke match 1 piece high mounts. or if you've got the bucks.......those dampa mounts.
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

neilg/urabus
    I have a 200t, the scope was touching the mount at the turrent ball (if you can call it that)
    ¤¤¤

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

sorry Urabus
    The AGS scopes and Leapers scopes are 4-16X56.
    Reviewed in the August issue of Airgun World or Airgunner if I remember correctly.
    The objective on those scopes is straight but I am sure they are made in the same factory in China.
    Good price at R1500...
    ¤¤¤

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

oops.........

i guess just high mounts then??????
    i suppose any 2 piece will do............
    almost forgot.......guido's got posts on 1-piece mounts and s200..........best dig it up and have a read.

and guido..........yeah, most likely they're all from the same factory.

¤¤¤