Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pellet weight revisited...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Pellet weight revisited...

I dont work really hard so I have a lot of time to think about stuff:

There is a general concesus that heavy pellets have more downrange hitting power and are less affected by wind than lighter pellets.
    But is this true?

Most of the time heavy pellets have a higher Ballistic Coefficient than light pellets and so they lose their energy slower than the light ones.Thus most of the time heavy pllets will be the better choice for long range shooting.But what if a light pellet has an equal or almost the same BC as the heavies,will it not be better than the heavy pellet that is more affected by gravity?

I dont have empirical data only theoretical data from Chairgun on which it says that the Crosman Premier Lites (7.9gr)have a BC of 23 and the CP Heavies (10.5gr) have a BC of 25 and that at 12fpe the lite 7.9 gr pellet will have about a fith less energy at 100 yards than the heavies BUT the light pellets will drop 10 inches less than the heavies.

So isnt the CP lite pellets then more effective at long range than the CP heavies?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Are you setting em off at the same speed or out of the same rifle?That would make a difference. How much I don't know.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

On the programme every variable is the same except pellet weight(different pellet), and muzzle velocity (for the heavy 712 fps and the lite 824fps) but muzzle energy is the same at 12 fpe. Even at 50 meters the lites point of impact is 2 inches higher that the heavy, a big difference in hunting and FT terms.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That is true, but your settings will be for either heavy or litre pellets...so it does not matter in this case, but if you can launch a 10.6g at 824fps you will see a great diffrence. It is also said that the heavier pellet will be less effected by wind. The likes of Jamie,Dale and others are still shoopting "lites" at the end of the day. Why?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The biggest problem with high BC pellets of low wt is that it has to be very sharp (ie long) and there isn't much material to make that point, also sharp point moves the center of mass further back and the pellets might not be stabilized, to make matters worse, the thing will have very short skirt (the lead for the point has to come from some where) and the wind drag might not be enough.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ok lets say that both heavy and lite pellets group the same out of a given rifle and that both has a very similar BC and that both are launched at 12 fpe then will the heavy or the lite pellet be the better one to choose?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Light pellet (I presume it is not R400 a tin pellet)!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also agree on the light pellet, the Crosman Premier Lites cost only about R65 per tin,the same as the heavies.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I still have to see a sharp pointed pellet that is ACCURATE at ranges up to 50-80 meters. The closest I got to that was the CZ Boxers, believe it or not.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So CZ boxer is OK? CZ and Kovohute the same thing? The Kovohute is like R25 a tin.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't know Kovohute but even my Gammo 1000 loves the Boxers. They did very well in my S400 also.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

AirKing, it depends what you want to do when you shoot, surely..... If it is killing small birds at short distance, I would go for something like a wadcutter up to 15m, if it is FT I would have to get accuracy up to 50m with JSB's or AA Field and if it is going for rabbits up to 70m, you better pack up your 12ft.pound rifle and get yourself a boondock converted .20 BAM with the 24 grain pellets.....!!!
    The argument again is horses for courses and what works for you might not necessarily work for gerrief.......

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerrief, does the CZ boxer look like that? I have always known them as Kovohute but it does say CZ and some people call them CZ.[br][img:width=200&height=190]../../Deadlinks/public/1148381150_357_FT20163_kovohute_.jpg[/img][br]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Those are the ones I was talking about. All the people I know call them boxer but it is the one I meant. I understand you get them in 8.5gr and 10.5gr ,but it is a lucky dip, I'm not sure of the weight part, though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I guess it is like Dynamit nobel and RWS both names are correct for the same stuff. I don't even know 10.5gr boxer exist. Just the other day, the guys at VLT told me there is a 10.3gr gamo TS-10 (I think the usual ts-10 is 10.5gr) which was very good but didn't have any in stock. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.