Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weighted Pellets?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Weighted Pellets?

I told you Iím an ex Lab rat. So I got my 4 decimal places analytical balance out of the attic and started weighing pellets and with a thread thatís going on at the moment about pellet weights Iím curious as to who weighs their pellets? And if you weigh your pellets, when does the differences become a real matter? Is it 0.1 grain or 0.01 grain?

I weigh to 0.1 mg that is 0.00015grain.

I weighed a sample of 29 pellets from a cheap tin of pellets and found the weight to be 0.3 grain more than advertised. 18 Pellets weighed more than the average weight of 7.11 grain and of course 11 weighed less.

The standard deviation is 0.066 grain. That in real terms will be 0.1 grain, so is this good enough for you?

Now, if you want me to dig deeper please let me know. You supply the tin off pellets (I keep the pellets so it has to be a full tin and the bigger the tin the better) and I provide you with a full rapport and itís your choice to put it on the Forum or not.
    :awais
    Swannie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Do you dry the pellet at 103 degree for 24 hr to dry out moisture and then put in the Decicator for 30 min before taking the wt? Do you get a Soxhlet extractor to remove all trace of oil?Just kidding!!! It is good to know I am not the only lab nerd around.
    I wt my pellets too but only with a RCBS 505 scale (to 0.1gr). Too much effort to sneak pellets into the lab and wt them (people at work don't know I like guns) besides, it is a pain to work out the wt in grains (I think 1g = 15.54 gr).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Correction: 1g = 15.543236grain.

If you don't take a desicator with you to keep your pellets dry, then I suggest you don't dry them before you weigh them, you could however lube your pellets after weighing and weigh them again to see what diffs it makes. :twak

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

which is why I am always hesitant to believe people who claim their rifles have an ES of 4fps etc...

Pellet weights vary by at least 4% in a tin.
    Chronographs are normally accurate to within +- 3%

Do the math...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Gudio. not even the centerfire brench shooter will claim an ES of 4ft/s and their rifle will shoot under 1/2 inch at 200m on a very bad day!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swannie I am sorry for the exact gr to g value but I get into enough trouble for mentioning non SI units these days. My co-worker look at me funny when the words like lbs and yard come out of my mouth!

I think there must be people who wt pellets to 3 deci place pick out the good ones and then lub them and wt them agian to pick out the best. How about pellet length. I measue them some times. to 0.02mm for the hell of it but airgunning is supposed to be fun, not more lab work! Swannie you must know the feeling of doing the same measurement over and over, Eish!

As a matter of fact, the mere fact that some shooters check the sight of the rifle after they move to another area (the same stuff on equator wt 0.1 % less than on north pole as the world on the same scale due to the spinnng of the earth plus the air density) tells us how serious people take things.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't weigh any of my pellets and I still get pretty good groups, I get groups of 38mm @ 100m with my BAM so I am not going to complain. After all that work do you guys really get so much better results than I get ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

at 100M? regularly? how many shots in a group?

I don't want to say I don't believe you but do you get those groups all the time or was it a once off lucky 3 shot group?

38mm groups out of a BAM at 100M would be something for the record books...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quido I shot 4 groups of 3 shots at 100m with my BAM at our game farm. No wind slightly at a upwords angle at 15:00 - 15:30. The BAM was filled to 185 bar and then I shot the 4 groups. The smallest one was 38mm and the biggest one was 47mm, the other 2 being 43mm and 45mm.

I used Baracuda Match 10.65gr pellets with a headsize of 4.50. I also found that if I shoot 4.51 headsize the groups grow with 10mm or more.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The BAM is very accurate, you can also ask Jackal I have taken pigeons with my BAM at ranges of 80m - 140m you just need the right amount of compensation.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yeah,,,those BAMs can be really good once you find a pellet they like...

Long range airgunning is so cool...time to start a 100yrd challenge or similar type shooting event.

Since we are not limited to the ridiculous 12ft\lbs UK limit let us all take advantage of this fact and expand our horizons..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    At first you had it all wrong, but in the end you came right again.

4% difference between pellet weights per can of pellets is way too much, even the cheapies I tested are far better than that. About chronographs, Iím not going to put myself out, as I donít have one yet to test.

Stopper,
    I was pulling your leg in a big way, just to say something. I know what you saying about routine, but if youíre doing it for yourself or interest, it isnít that bad.

The point I trying to make is; do the ďgoodĒ shooters know the difference of the pellets weights of the pellets theyíre using and to the rest of the shooters know that out of a tin of cheap pellets, there are mostly good pellets, but the fliers can be explained?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

errr...I am still missing the point you are trying to make Swannie???

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,

4% error in pellet weight, means that if you have a tin of pellets; say 7.1 grain, then spread would be of 7.046 to 7.178 grain and this is what I weighed and just proves YOUíre right, again. Sorry. As usually I made a moerse calculation mistake.

My Apologies :?

Swannie

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

oh Ok I understand now Swannie...

That weight variation would also mean a velocity variation of approx 4% assuming the rifle was PERFECTLTY consistent which it is'nt....thus a regulated rifle shooting with an ES of 15fps is perfectly acceptable.

I have found that hand sorting pellets can have a remarkable effect on accuracy, especially when it comes to skirt size using a BIC pen as a gauge.
    For BR shooting I would say this is mandatory as would be the weighing and sorting of pellet batches.