Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther LP53 Air Pistol

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Walther LP53 Air Pistol

This break-barrel pistol belongs to a friend of mine, I told him I can fix airguns and he asked me to have alook at it for him as it took 2 shots to get a pellet through the barrel, he inherited it from his late father-in-law. First off it needs a good clean-up and an o-ring seal where the barrel seals against the compression chamber.

It weighs quite a bit, feels nice and solid in your hand. It has a wooden grip that plugs into the end of the barrel so you don't hurt your hand when cocking it (its a break-barrel springer). The mainspring is inside the grip, it is compressed by the trigger guard when breaking the barrel to cock.

I thought it was quite a neat piece of kit and of interest, I wonder how old it is and what its value would be?

I don't want to damage it by forcing anything, has anyone else had experience with these before, how do I access the mainspring and seal to check their condition?

cheers
    Martin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

American selling a mint one for $400 (R2,500)
    [link=hyperlink url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976717098.htm[/link]

Looks a little different to this one:

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/photo-library/photos2.asp?dir=%5BWalther%5D&pic=6[/link]

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Sorry Huffnpuff, I have been through all the books that I have and found no exploded views. My advice, take it slow and if you can not remember how the parts go back in, take digital pics at each stage.
    Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for looking to help, the gun cocks and fires OK, I think the problem is only the o-ring where the barrel seals that is the problem.

I'll also give the compression chamber a good squirt of silicon oil, I'm assuming that it has a leather seal and a good soaking in silicon oil should get it sealing properly again and not cause any detonation when firing.

If it fires OK with the oil and new o-ring, I won't look any further, I'd prefer not to try and fix whats not broke especially as its not my gun.

Still curious as to what's inside it though, but don't want to damage it to find out.

cheers
    Martin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thank you for the links ds, I'd like to find out the age approximately, but my "sprechen sie deutsch?" isn't that good, most of the google hits I've had are German.

The serial number is 005347.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This Walther is very low velocity,purely target shooting and will not really do more than 300fps with light target pellets,,so if it is shooting in that range there is nothing wrong with it,accuracy is described as being 0.16 inch ctc at 10m if the shooter does his part. Recoil will be upwards since the spring is moving upwards and as far as I know the gun was originally made to almost simulate a .22lr walther pistol that was very similar in design.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You guys have books I should have?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I love the info from this guy,really informative interesting stuff on a wide varity of products/guns, check it out:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/...nd-airgun.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Aha! More information than I could google out, thank you!

He was wanting to take pot-shots at mynahs with it, but at 300fps I'm going to advise him against it, he needs something bigger that will be effective over greater distances and have enough power to penetrate properly.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Oi, hate it when links like the one to gunsamerica.com get posted... Too much temptation or what do you guys reckon?
    Spend enough time Googling as it is and then links like these come up to threaten the bankbalance even more, tch-tch-tch.
    Thx a lot ds, but then really thx also.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

I bought one in 1961--gave it to friend in Pta--LP53 ceased production in 1975--recoils like firearm --most probably first quality target air pistol ever made.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I got an o-ring for the breach seal yesterday and sprayed the gun liberally with silicon oil, and also inside the compression chamber.

It shoots really well now, I stood about 10mm from my pellet trap in my garage last night, and using a rest I put a nice 30mm group together into the wall above the pellet trap...

Will take some getting used to but I'm sure I can improve on those groups, and as for the wall...300fps has its advantages...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pardon me but a 30mm group from a 10mm shooting distance is nothing too brag about

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey its my first time with a pistol! I only had about 20 shots, I'll improve with practise, but then I'm going to have to give it back to its owner...bummer!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1149156219=AirKing]
    Pardon me but a 30mm group from a 10mm shooting distance is nothing too brag about
    [/quote1149156219]

:rofl