Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What to do?

I am rather new to this game of Field Target shooting.... and still haven't purchesed a air rifle yet due to the fact that I'm not sure what to buy. Sure, you can buy a Walther for R15000 but to some, thats not an option. I have had My eye on a CZ 200s for a while now, it feels comfortable, has excellent write ups, but when you go to a shoot everybody seems to stick there nose up at the idea and push the Air Arms s400. Is the CZ really that bad? would i as beginner be nuts to even think of the idea? PLEASE Help. Are there valid reason why not to go for the CZ? :1zhelp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

S200 is good.........but the S400 is better.

CZ's Avatar CZ

THERE is NOTHING wrong with the CZ200s as i have shot rabbits at 60mtrs plus and they drop with the first shot... :rocker :rocker :rocker :rocker :rocker

THE CZ 200 IS NOT CALLED A ONE HOLE WONDER FOR NOTHING...BELIEVE ME

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Dear Slimey
    Whatever you decide, get into airgunning as soon as possible and find out for yourself what works and what not..... When you look at past threads on the Forum, you will see how all of the members moved on to what they believe is the best in the world..... Even as recently as 1 year ago, I was still sold on the accuracy of a springer and still shoot it as a matter of fact, but lately I get more plinking pleasure out of a PCP, especially for distances longer than 25m....
    Get the CZ 200 and don't get pressurised into what the crowd says..... Just go and enjoy yourself and get out of the game as much as you can get.... You can draw a parallel between airgunning and golf any given day, it is not always the guys with the best, the latest and the most expensive equipment who wins the day....., somewhere there is dedication and familiarity with your equipment that will also start to count.....
    What does not make sense to me at the moment, is when someone uses heavily expensive equipment, like a scope, on a rifle that cannot produce the consistency necessary to perform...... Sure, my spring rifle can also obtain single hole accuracy, but that is where it stops....., by shooting one hole at a time.......!!!!!

Malan

CZ's Avatar CZ

COULD NOT AGREE MORE MALAN

When i went to buy my cz200 is was told it is to smal bla bla bla and was shown all the BIGGER guns but i stuck with MY cz and i am not looking back ...belive me it is not as bad as everyone thinks and for the money you pay for this gun with a decent scope on will shoot as good as almost any BIGGER guns

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Go with your heart, the CZ has an OK resale value if you decide to upgrade later. I've my eye on a CZ for the same reasons, I've not heard of anyone complain about accuracy and the price is more affordable than anything else available locally, other than possibly a tuned BAM.

colsen's Avatar colsen

Slimey - I have have also found that if you arrive at a shoot without a R10 000.00 rifle, the attitude towards you is rather negative and the guys kind of Snobish/Elitist (granted not all). But in general unless you have a rifle that costs the earth it is very difficult to start a conversation with anyone and you feel like you are scum. Maybe we should start a budget rifle club.

I feel that no matter what you shoot, it is taking part that counts and not the rifle. The idea is to have fun as well.

I arrived at a shoot once and there was a couple with chinese springers. They were ignored by everyone as they were seen as outsiders who did not take the sport seriously. I never saw them ever again. I really felt sorry for those poor buggers.

To grow this sport we should accept anyone who is prepared to shoot, no matter what the rifle.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The 200 series rifles are pretty good guns for the money. They have proven themselves accurate.

From my perspective I find them a little bit on the small and light side for FT and the shot count can be restrictive with only about 40 good shots per fill in .177. I find the trigger is adequate.

The S400 IMO has greater potential for modification than the 200's when used for FT and features a better two stage trigger.

At the end of the day as I have said to other people it is your money and your choice and go with what you want to own, but consider all pros and cons first to make sure that what you buy is the right thing.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have heard this opinion expressed once before by someone who pitched up at a shoot with a BAM51, but the key to having a good time is to persevere.

Its human nature to judge people by outward appearances first, and you get treated accordingly until they get to know you. Forgive them.

I suddenly had lots of people interested in me when I bought my Merc a few years ago, I hated this attention based on what I drove, rather than on who I was. I sold the Merc.

It is better to overlook the weakness of human nature and participate regardless of any perceived snobbery, once you've been at a few shoots with whatever equipment you brought, you will get beyond the facades and find out that the "snobs" are just human like you, and pretty decent folk at that.

You'll probably find that in time your perseverance with cheaper kit will be your signature and a novelty, and memories of you will be warm, "oh, that guy that used to shoot with the BAM(or whatever)"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Colsen I agree with you...i'm also new to this sport and i have a gamo springer and do not want to buy a R13000 PCP gun before i tried the sport out. My feeling is that if i go to the shoot this Saturday to check things out, i will be treated as an outsider.

The thing is i want to do this for fun and then i'd rather go shooting with like minded people.l

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Renier, I promise I will not treat you as an outsider for I am also quite new to the sport. Although my springer is quite advanced I have no gripes competing with PCP's as I do it for fun. It has not felt to me that I was treated as an outsider,ever. Most of the guys are really nice and once you knocked over a couple of those targets with your "twang gun"they become even friendlier!He He. I will see you there on Saturday, I am dying to take a shot or two with your Gamo 1250 if you will allow me to.EVERYBODY is welcome to take a couple of shots with my "recoilles" springer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hehehe...i will be there on Sa. to check things out...i still need to sight my gamo as it has fired about 10 shots ...
    I did test 6 different types of pellets to check things out and some of it went through the dogs stainless steel bowl

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I find JSB Exact work very well in my Diana springer, they are also labelled as Air Arms Field and UltraTech Universal. My next favourite are Crosman Premier Heavies, but I've read one or 2 posts that voice lead fouling concerns requiring frequent barrel cleaning.

BTW, where is the shoot in Sat?

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

ALL AIRGUNNERS WELLCOME, this should be our motto and maybe our Forum Banner (hint hint Spyker).
    The sport needs all the poeple we can get and those who, through ignorance and snobishness or call it what you will, do not see it that way better wake up and smell the Gov Gazzette!!! We need responsible shooters not just rich ones.
    If some one can afford to buy a 15k rifle well good for him/ her and I for one would not begrudge them thier rifle, all one asks in responce is that they pay the same respect to those who have a more budget priced rifle.
    Fortunately most if not all the shooters I have had the pleasure of meeting have all been realy great guys and gals who realy love the sport. In fact I may be to blame for the vast sums of money some of them have spent, but I will deny it to thier spouses!!!!

I have said the same in a previouse post and at the risk of boring anyone, the CZ is a reliable rifle with a decent trigger and shot count and is upgradable, for a reasonable amount of money, to a ten shot mag! While the AA400's are great rifles and I would own one if I could afford it (along will all the other rifles, it gets as bad explaning and giving just cause and motivation to the wife as it is to the CFR!!), the CZ just offer a bit more versatility at a better price.
    Springers are also very accurate in some hands and its all up to the jerk behind the trigger and this classic line captures shooting very well, "Beware the man who ownes but one gun, chances are he knowes how to use it!"

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

ALL AIRGUNNERS WELLCOME, this should be our motto and maybe our Forum Banner (hint hint Spyker).
    The sport needs all the poeple we can get and those who, through ignorance and snobishness or call it what you will, do not see it that way better wake up and smell the Gov Gazzette!!! We need responsible shooters not just rich ones.
    If some one can afford to buy a 15k rifle well good for him/ her and I for one would not begrudge them thier rifle, all one asks in responce is that they pay the same respect to those who have a more budget priced rifle.
    Fortunately most if not all the shooters I have had the pleasure of meeting have all been realy great guys and gals who realy love the sport. In fact I may be to blame for the vast sums of money some of them have spent, but I will deny it to thier spouses!!!!

I have said the same in a previouse post and at the risk of boring anyone, the CZ is a reliable rifle with a decent trigger and shot count and is upgradable, for a reasonable amount of money, to a ten shot mag! While the AA400's are great rifles and I would own one if I could afford it (along will all the other rifles, it gets as bad explaning and giving just cause and motivation to the wife as it is to the CFR!!), the CZ just offer a bit more versatility at a better price.
    Springers are also very accurate in some hands and its all up to the jerk behind the trigger and this classic line captures shooting very well, "Beware the man who ownes but one gun, chances are he knowes how to use it!"