Thread: Ripley AR4 "Silhouette"

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default Ripley AR4 "Silhouette"

I have been wanting an old steel action Ripley AR4 for a while now as IMO these were the best of the Ripley's, so no sooner had I arrived back in the UK than I found this little gem :love

Deadlinks_imagefiles/ripley_ar4a.jpg[/img]

Deadlinks_imagefiles/ripley_ar4b.jpg[/img]

It is an AR4 "Silhouette" model serial no.005 built in 1991 for a guy called Chris Atkinson, and it has only had two owners from new. The rifle has been recently serviced by regulator guru Nick Murphy and has been reblued by ISP. :blingbling

The only annoying part is waiting until the 25th June to collect it :claphead

Dale

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

That is short Dale.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

does the air tube can last for 15years? any hydra test?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a Steyer to swop if you are interested Dale

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Right, like that would ever happen Lewis

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gee....... that's one ugly rifle...i'm sure it shoots k@k as well...........Dale, i will do you a favour and swop my S400 for it....... :rofl

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boondock,

In respect of the life span of an air tube yes it will last for 15 years (the rifle has its date of manufacture engraved on the trigger block and it is still in full working order, inicidentally it is also listed with a max safe working pressure of 5000psi) and a lot longer if it is looked after. If you refer back to some of my other postings you will note that I have rifles that are older than this and are still in perfect working order. No hydrostatic test required on integral rifle cylinders.

Hardy, swop for S400 - err let me think about this - NO

Cobus - same answer !lol

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale that is one good looking Ripley for the age. I don't really like the look of the new Ripley's but the older ones like the AR 4 I like very much.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Enzace,

I agree, to my eye the AR5 looks as if it has od'd on steroids - everything about it looks overly 'chunky' and it has lost the elegance of the earlier steel action AR4's. I realise that this is a cosmetic thing but it just looks plain odd.

Also I have seen quite a number of reliability problems with the AR5's, whereas the AR4's do seem to be better made. One friend of mine has had his AR4 since about 1992/3 and it is still working just fine and has never been serviced apart from the hammer being cleaned after the gun was laid up for about 3 years. The regulator is still operating perfectly on its original seals.

I am quite looking forward to getting this rifle. Then I will attack the stock with the bandsaw to make the cheek piece adjustable and perhaps shorten the fore-end slightly!

Should be a very nice rifle once I have modified the stock.

Dale