Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough power

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Enough power

Hi all

I want to shoot in this coming weekends FT and would like to know if my Norica Krono would be up to the task. Literature states that it does app 195m/s. Fitted to the Krono is a Nikko Stirling 2-7X32 scope. I know the scope ain't right for the job, but do you think I will get allong. Starting off is just part of the fun, or not. !amazed !dodge

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Fun is the name of the game. Go and see what works and what not.
    There will be a Chrony at the Leeuwkop shoot if that is the FT event you are talking about.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi JCG, What is the accuracy and consistancy like on the Norica Krono, whats the trigger like and the finishing?, I have the Norica west and found it to be very accurate and consistant(if I do the job right).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The trigger is not the best but the woodwork to me is absolutly (spelling) beautifull. From 10 meters it will put 4 out of 5 pellets in one ragged hole. I do however think that I need to up my game on the consistancy stakes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JCG, As lewis said;" fun is the name of the game "(for most of us anyhow.) 195m/s according to my reconing is about 640f/sec. My 2c worth will be:This will be sufficiant for most of moderately placed targets,say up to approx.35m but you MIGHT be a little on the light side after that. I once saw a guy at Wolwehoek with a 200 T, which spits out pellets at around that velocity, having a battle with the long shots. Then again, I don't think the National team will be choosen this Saturday yet. Come around and have fun. Your scope is not the best suited but it will do, I have seen guys shoot "Yscor Scopes" better than me for instance, and some of the better equiped rigs.
    Why not fit the jobless Hawke 4-12x44 then?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks gerrief, I will be shooting at Leeukop and I am looking forward to it. The Hawk fits on my Krono but leaves about 1.5mm space between the front of the scope and the breach when cocking the rifle. I am scared that it may come loose and the next thing I now I have a broken scope. Told the wife that if I do OK I would like to buy the AA TX 200 for FT and will then fit the Hawk to that. Will the AA TX 200 do OK for FT? The PCP's are a little expensive.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Rather than the TX200 for FT I would recommend one of the BAMS [Daystate clones].
    If you can get one for R3400 then you will have enough for a charging kit too.
    The TX200 is an awesome springer but not really competitive in the modern FT circuit.
    Good for HFT though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hi jcg,

you must really decide on how far you wanna go re FT before spending ur hard erned........

if all you want, is to shoot FT in springer class then i don't think you can do much better than tx200 outa box.

just look at the UK HFT results...........the top springer score is normally 10 or so lower than the pcp's.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JCG,
    when it comes to springers, I will only recommend 2 guns, the TX200 and the HW97, they are both built with FT in mind. I myself would love to one day own either or both of them. They are very accurate but due to the recoil more difficult to shoot than a PCP.
    Looking at a PCP, sure the setup cost is more, but most of the time worth it. Keep in mind that buying the cheaper PCP's (BAMS) requires work to be done on them to get them to the state of say the Air Arms or BSA Hornet class.
    My recommendation if looking at PCP would be to consider something like a AA S200S, I'm not sure what the exact price is at the moment but they are of a very good quality.
    If you enjoy working on something then look at a BAM.
    Just keep in mind that when you are prepared to spend money on a decent airgun then you should be prepared to also spend money on good mounts and a good scope.
    Hope I helped.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The lesson I have learned, and it was very expensive, is that it pays in the end to buy what you want/need in the first place. Every shot you fire, especially the ones you miss, you think to yourself: If I had the right equipment it would have been different. in the end you go out and buy the what you wanted in the firtst place and you waisted your money on the second best which you have to give away for a song in the end.
    My advise is to take the plunge and get what you need in the first place.
    One more thing. Make sure what you get is going to serve the purpose it was intended for. Field Target Shooting,like all other sports, has rules that everybody have to abides to, end of the picture. If you buy a Ferrari you know the speed limit is 120. I can do that in my 20 year old 850cc Mini, Why do I drive a Merc then? Because it is comfy, it can go 300Kh, it gives me standing in life etc. etc. but the goverment is not goingt to change the law to suite me and my Porche go fast mates.
    This, I think,will be my very last comment on this forum as I have now upset enough people.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

right , point taken... Just had to try my luck

Still ganna push though
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Jan 28 2005, 09:00AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Manipulate the rules as much as you can, push it because I also do, I look at anything in life and see how much of an advantage I can gain without "breaking" the rules. I like living on the edge...
    I live for incomplete and vague rules ....

Oh and Gerrie, you drive a OPEL, not a Merc, anyway, OPEL is better anyway .... ( I also drive 1, sorry make that 2)
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Jan 28 2005, 09:47AM ]</span>

ice's Avatar ice

If you want a secondhand car with 200 000km on the clock, you buy a new Opel.

He he he

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okay seeing as this thread got really off topic... (although I didn't get to see the pre-edited posts)

gerrief:

Please don't refrain from commenting. Your opinions are valued, even if I / we / people don't agree with them. This is a 'DISCUSSION' board - every one has a right to their views, and everyone else should RESPECT that - regardless of wether they agree or not.

0.02c

ice's Avatar ice

Amen