Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Target's Future in SA

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target's Future in SA

Do you believe / want FT in SA to become a sport where you can get Provincial and National Colours ?
    Are you willing to join a National Body to make this happen ? (with membership fees that must be paid)
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I believe it can & should happen . We ( SA ) must affiliate to an established body such as Uk , their advice & assistance could help . Then , its all up to the drivers out here . Any sport in the world has to be paid for by the participants , its reality .
    I say we go for it .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

SA will affiliate to World FT Association, that's a given, it's busy happening as we speak.
    What worries me is the lack of support in SA. If we can't show numbers we will not be able to get provincial and national colours as SASSF (SA Sports Shooting Federation) will not take us serious, nore will SAARA (SA Air Rifle Association ),.
    Strength lies in numbers.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh well , thats good , but how do we get more people to actually take out their money ! I just cant understand people . to get credibility & financial aid from SA sports federations we need to run a program for all the ( non ) disadvantaged too . Maybe we can approach sam ramsammy for financial aid & guns & land & cars etc etc . They seem very free with that sort of thing for soccer .

Realistically , all of us had better start thinking about it & recruiting .

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

the future is in our hands,if we want support we need crowds of people.the best thing to do is to start hft in a big way,everybody can shoot dont need fancy equipment.with hft we will get more people to shoot ft and thats what we want

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What about local Fairs/Events? We all seem to want to promote the sport but how are we going to go about it? Are we prepaired to put a little time into maybe setting up a small FT range at a Fete somewhere even if we have to beg, borrow or steal the necessary equipment to do it. Are you prepared to let someone handle your precious to try it out? If we dont move our backsides we'll just tick over as we are now....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good point Brian. It's all fine and dandy to have the FT shoots at the Shot Show and PTA Game/hunt show once every year, but the people you find there are mostly like minded to us which is sort of 'preaching to the converted' really. Maybe more of this, but at 'normal'(if you can call it that) shows/fairs/events will introduce the sport to a wider audience or at least tickle their fancy enough to find out more about it. During our stay at Weston Park in England I met people at a stall that are from Fochville (no less) and they asked about the sport but did not know where to go or what to do to get the school kids introduced to the sport.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Can you imagine Refresh or Allan letting anybody, except MAYBE their wifes, shoot with their rifles?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I may be talking out of place here, but I was very involved in archery and the situation was exactly the same. I'm afraid, but these kind of sports are inaccessible to the majority of South Africans, and thus would get no government support etc. I would strongly suggest that we come up with a "base" FT starter kit consisting of a springer and scope, that would suit the needs of a newcommer to the sport. We all know that equipment in SA is way over priced (won't get into the details of who adds the mark up ), and thus money is a huge barrier to a newbie to the sport. I would suggest that the "starter" kit be sold at cost across the country. The resulting interest in the sport would easily generate the sales of upgrades etc to cover the "potential" loss from dropping the price. Perhaps we could say that anyone who buys the kit, gets R500 back after competing in their first FT shoot? I recon that would get the interest of any Joe Soap walking into a gun shop and asking for a recommendation on a pellet gun.

my 2c

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

i dont think any of us will let other use our rifles,but what if we get them to shoot there own rifles in HFT.

Any rifle any scope goes,8-40yds not allowed to touch the scope,standing,kneeling allowed.

we saw this in ENG,there is more hft shooters than ft shooters,maybe this is the way to go too introduce the sport,

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Breyt and Lewis (other post) about getting HFT going in SA.
    I really can't see why the other clubs are dragging their heels on this issue. The only real change is rules, no extra equipment or altering the range exists.
    I honestly hope that SAAFTA doesn't have issues with this along the same lines as the UK FT vs HFT governing bodies. Surely SAAFTA can handle HFT aswell?

I also hope that this doesn't get shot down by the 'powered elite' once again.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Would love to see HFT come into SA. At our last shoot, we had a few family/father-son(s) combos with entry springers. It was great to see the fun they had. We used HFT scoring for the "Fun" class which we have now renamed to "hunter" and will run as club league as there is no reason that one cannot be serious about competing just because you don't have the big bucks equipment.

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

well thats the main thing "bucks"in the end if they like this sport they will convert and i think that is how we will get more people to shoot ft

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My 2c worth would be that two things will make a difference.
    1) Affordability
    2) Over regulation.
    I don't think that anybody should be penalized for having more money available, for better equipment, than others.In any sport you buy the best equipment you can AFFORD, even if it is ONLY because you CAN.
    I saw a guy last week walk away with a brand new rifle, fair scope,divers bottle with all fittings, pellets and a full tank of air to get him going so long for just over R5000-00.That is less than what I paid for my scope! What do I want to do with it if I can't use it? If this guy want to range as well as me, he has to buy the equipment. How else will he get there?If he decided to shoot with an open site springer, he is welcome, so long as he doesn't bleat about me or you who spent our money on a PCP with all the bells and wistles attached. I can't afford, or am not interested in spending the mullah on an EV so Hennie and Hardy and Brian(John haha) or anybody in "Steyer Land"(Cape Town) can't shoot their rifles against me? Does this sound right? I think not. Let us sell affordable rifles and let people use it in any SAFE manner to HAVE FUN!
    Somebody that doesn't enjoy shooting will not shoot if you GIVE him a rifle for free.The serious guys spends money and the rest, like me, shoot because we enjoy it and can't hit the side of a barn, most of the times, no matter what equipment we have or how expensive it was.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Try standing much closer to and/or inside the barn Gerrie! !ill