Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme accuracy

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Default Extreme accuracy

I did sort a tin of 4.52 Air Arms Diabolo Field pellets. On the tin the weight is marked 0.547 Grams, which is equal to 8.44 grains.
    The results:
    22 pellets weighted 8.2 grain each
    23 pellets weighted 8.5 grains each
    4 pellets weighted 8.6 grains each.
    The rest of the pellets were split more or less into equal halves of 2 weights of 8.3 and 8.4 grains.

I made the following calculations:
    8.2 grain at 12ft/lb = velocity of 811.72 f/sec
    8.3 grain at 12ft/lb = velocity of 806.18 f/sec
    8.4 grain at 12ft/lb = velocity of 802.00 f/sec
    8.5 grain at 12ft/lb = velocity of 797.27 f/sec
    8.6 grain at 12ft/lb = velocity of 792.62 f/sec
    A max spread of 19.10 f/sec

Now the question:
    When shooting and using pellets strait out of the tin what is the change of a flyer?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

The chance is low on a good tin of pellets.Buy a low quality tin of pellets and there are pellets that almost fall into the barrel.

Another thing to consider is the diameter.How accuratly are the pellets made.

Airking told me a good way to check them.Let the pelet slide down the inside of a clear bick pen.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

nickswin
    Your observations are spot-on, it shows you that some more preparation must be done before one can shoot FT seriously...... I still do not get the results to prove it, but a good idea will be to analyse and separate the pellets into different groups according to weight and then check the sensitivity of the rifle to the various weights and at long and short shots, for consistency..... As far as skirt size is concerned, some believe that sizing does not matter, but I still feel it is worthwile to just pop the pellets you are going to use on the day of the FT shoot, through the Bic pen to check on roundness.......
    Again it is like playing golf, you certainly do want to start off playing with a round ball, don't you......?????
    If you only get one chance at a shot, you want to make it count when it matters......

Malan !lol !dodge !lol !sad :?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had some very interesting and worrying results with my Diana, I always used the Baracuda Match pellets 4.50mm and they are sorted for headsize and I achieved very good results. When these became sadly(and also worryingly) unavailable I switched to the normal unsorted Baracudas and found that I had a lot of fliers.

At his point I must say that I have not tested all the variables so it may be pellet or rifle or both.

Ian kindly invited me to come and test my gun over his chrony, we did a batch through my uncleaned(dirty as hell!!) barrel and then through a cleaned barrel and also batches with pellet lube and without. Results were shocking! There was a ES of up to 130fps within a single batch of dried pellets,25shots! Some pellets I could feel entered the barrel much tighter that others and on the chrony I could see that when the pellet went in the barrel with difficulty the fps were way low and when the pellet went in with no apparent fricton then fps were very high. After the session I went home and cried for a little while, then I started throwing ALL the leftover 300+ pellets down the BIC pen, the first pellet went almost halway down and I marked that spot witha permanent marker. I then fetched 3 different empty tins and placed the middle(first) pellet in the middle tin and proceeded placing the pellets in the first tin if they did not slide in deeply etc. Some pellets only slid down about 2-3cm and other went down almost to the bottom of the pen. I kept the pellets in the different tins and market each accordingly,I have not had the oppurtinity to go and do serious accuracy test to see what the findings may be. I do feel that I have "elliminated' one more variable so to theoretically achieve better accuracy and peace of mind. The best thing would be if I had also weighed the different pellets and those that were in the same batch.

User Info Menu

Malan,
    The more that we "the shooter" can eliminate no shooters error's there should be an improvement in your score. Then it is still up to the shooter to practice to improve his/her own skill. Thanks for the tip to use the big pen. The longer I am in the sport of shooting I do learn more. Will run tests with the sorted pellets and post my findings.

User Info Menu

Did some more weighting of pellets:
    I took a sample of 50 pellets strait of a tin of Napier Power Hunter.
    Here are the results:
    1 pellet of 7.5 grain
    3 pellets of 7.6 grain
    8 pellets of 7.7 grain
    26 pellets of 7.8 grain
    7 pellets of 7.9 grain
    4 pellets of 8.0 grain
    1 pellets of 8.1 grain

This tells me that if your are shooting out of a tin without weighting the pellets there are a good change the 7.7, 7.8, 7.9 should group close together but the remaining 11 should be fliers therefore out of 500 110 bad shots that are not shooters error.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wow , you guys have got a lot of spare time ? I wish I had the time to prove its not me shooting like a wally !

But actually you are right about the quality of the ammo .

When I was a serious Combat Rifle shooter , some competitions require a coach , some one who lies behind you & watches the bullet track to the target & calls you in . I have personally laid behind very competent shottists , & watched a bullet just veer off into the sky or left or right , for absolutely no apparent reason .
    This is because we are issued ammo & that must be used ,on the range , no rushing home , pulling heads , weighing them & the powder & reloading for consistency .
    The result is that you will shoot a group at 300m of maybe 4 inches , 9 shots , the tenth one wont even be on the frame ? ? Cause for much complaint .

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

nickswin , when I spoke of bad pellets those are the ones I was thinking of.If you check the diameter on them there is a big spread as well.They group ok(not including the flyers).I found 1 in 10 was a massive flyer.missing the kill zone by 15cm or more.

User Info Menu

The problem is that at our benchrest shoots the compititions is getting very tight. The top scores are with in 3% and to try and tostay in the top we must look at all angles and in the club house after the shoot there is big discusion on accuracy and shoot errors. At the last BR league the big guys shooting 6mm PPC the winner had a ave group for 100 & 200 m of 7mm.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I thought Airm Arms field diabolo were sorted JSB exact. I wonder what level of sorting actually takes place.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

sorting? no..

Air Arms field are simply made by a pellet die at JSB that belongs to Air Arms.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've read one or 2 posts that Ultratec universal are unsorted JSB Exact, which made me think that there are sorted JSB exacts out there somewhere. I assumed that these were probably the ones Air Arms used.

Strange bug, this assumption thing, I've been trying to shake it for years...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

all JSB Exacts are sorted into head sizes...hence 4.50 , 4.51 etc...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So Air Arms Field diabolo is not the same as JSB Exact?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

huffnpuff ,Air Arms field are also sorted to size .