Thread: DIFFERENT PELLETS

TAZZ's Avatar TAZZ

Default DIFFERENT PELLETS

HI ALL

WE WENT HUNTING PIGEONS ON SUNDAY THE ROCK PIGEONS THAT WE MANAGED TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHOOT (30 METERS) ALL FLY AWAY AFTER YOU SHOOT THEM. THATS SHOOTING THEM FROM THE SIDE OR FRONT
    I KNOW HEAD SHOTS IS THE BEST BUT NOT ALWAYS POSSEBLE, THUS MY QUESTION: I CURRENTLY USE A CZ200S @ 784 F.P/S WITH ULTRATECH PELLETS (8.5G),
    IF FOR HUNTING I USE A HEVIER PELLET SAY 10.5G THE HITTING POWER WILL INCREASE THUS A CLEANER KILL.
    BUT I DON'T WANT TO RE DO MY SETTINGS EVERY TIME I SHOOT A FT COMP. WILL THIS CHANGING OF PELLETS HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE SCOPES SET-UP.

EG. 8.5G PELLETS SCOPE SET 30 METERS (DAILING IN)
    10.5G PELLETS SCOPE SET 30 METERS (ZERO)

WILL MY P.O.I. CHANGE AFTER A HUNT IF I GO BACK TO THE FIRST SETTING FOR THE 8.5G PELLETS??

:1zhelp

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Tazz the way I see it going for 10.5 gr is the wrong move.The 8.4 gr will fly flatter and faster giving to my mind a better kill.Your POI will change for sure .The longer shots should drop more.Up to 30m with my AA S400 I have not seem reason to worry when hunting as far as POI goes.

I am not a big hunter as most know by now.I however found when hunting I had to compensate for elevation shooting into the trees.Once I did that the birds fell .

Hope that helps I can only contributr some thoughts as I have not played with 10.5 gr all that much.

A good tip I recieved from an old hunter was to go for shots from the bach.Against the grain of the feathers .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't shoot if you are not sure of a hit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

well.. 12fpe is 100% enough for 30m pigeon hunt if the pellet placement has take care of the vital organ... otherwise a 784ft/s pellet just means a quick hair shave.. of coz the pigeon will freaks out and took off... leave u wondering in the field..

i had exactly the same experience as u..

but since i started hunt with .20cal... it's totally different story... they die too easy... as we know a pigeon shot with .177cal.. not much blood u can see.. but u can ask ice how much blood spew out after his new .20cal hit a pigeon... it's too scary to talk about it...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A 8.44g pellet travelling at 540fps is fast enough to fully penetrate a pigeon at 30m. Shot Placement is EVERYTHING!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Rock Pigeons are a bit tougher than the ring necks & laughing doves around town. But my S 400 was taking them out easily at 30 to 40 m . Admittedly a few flew , but all crashed to earth within 30m or so . The Indians , well they are also toughees , but tend to run if they can , or they just lie on their backs staring at you with hate in their eyes . You then have to give the coup de grace ! or as I learnt when we were lighties & pellets were rationed , Stomp on his kop .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh I meant to mention , I use Air Arms Field Diabolo pellets , same setting as for FT , shooting about 804fps on my chrono. I dont change , I dont like learning new trajectory for every pellet , stick to one , learn it & keep at it .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tazz

At 784 F/S you have more than enough power to penetrate your quarry. Last weekend we went hunting in Harry Smith. I had some spare time to do some airgun hunting as well. Using my S400 at 770 f/s with AA Field I took my first two rabbits. One with a head shot, pellet went straight thru and the rabbit dropped on the spot. The other with a body shot right behind the front leg as you would a buck. The rabbit jumped away but dropped stone dead after about 25m. The reason for my shot placement on the second rabbit was to see what would happen it was shot in the body vitals. My Father took some rock pigeons in the trees around our camp. With his AA 200T with AA-Field pellets at 740 f/s all birds shot dropped. The staff at the camp cleaned the birds to eat and on inspection all shots had gone thru the birds.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

When I body (lung) shot mynahs with 10.6gr H & N Baracuda's they almost always fly 10-15 m before dropping, I believe a lighter pellet will kill better at closer ranges(30-40m) because it will lose/transfer its energy quicker to the animal whereas the heavies will penetrate too quickly and exit the quarry. That is one of the main reasons .177 is not that great for hunting because the pellet exit too easily thus not transferring your guns killing power. In my eyes .177 equals .223 in the hunting field ,to fast and too light a bullet. .20-22 equals .308 etc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would say shot placement is everything.We have a lot of the red eye "bosduiwe" on the farm.Even with the .22 with subsonics we have seen a few times how a bodyshot in the chest,pigeon flies for abot 100m before going down.When we get there you look thru a the size of a R5 coin and the pigeon is still alive.Looking at you with sorry eyes but still hopping along.
    Seen this weekend 2 shots from the side thru the chest and the pigeon still took of and flew about 50m.
    Head shots is the only sure way,or remember,bigger is better.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

cut a pigeon chest open u will c .. no vital organ side.. only thick muscle and big food bag.. and small lungs... shoot them at lower body is much more effective...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pigeons are best shot from the side if you aim just below the spine, in the thinner flesh closer to the tail and not where the bird looks biggest. The idea is to slip the pellet through the body in between the spine and the large pectoral (breast) muscles. Where the bird looks biggest is breast muscle and crop, you need to aim a little further back. The last one I dropped penetrated right through and broke the wing on the other side, but then I was using my manic Hatsan 70 which is very powerful.

It dropped like a stone on the spot, it didn't even flap once.

Study some bird anatomy pics to get an idea of where the best place is to put your pellet.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yeah, yeah, we lika study birds anatomy, especially the part where...
    Ooops, I'm on the wrong forum again.