Thread: BSA Meteor trigger

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA Meteor trigger

I have become spoilt by the superb triggers on my Air Arms S410 and Theoben Eliminator. I recently picked up my BSA Meteor (Mk5 I think) for a bit of plinking and found the trigger to be terrible by comparison. Is there an aftermarket replacement trigger available? Alternatively, has anyone successfully reworked the Meteor's trigger?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This weekend I shot a bit with my old gamo 440 and was horrified at how much pressure the trigger needed to release(I did manage to drop 4myanhs though), accurate shooting much more difficult. you can get a replacemet for the gamos horrible trigger from america but I dont know about the BSA. Even if you get work done on the BSA it will no were be near the triggers of you S410 and Elliminator(ENVY!).Good luck

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The BSA meteor trigger is crap and will stay that way no matter what you do, well my MK6 did after numerious attempts.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It can probably be improved by polishing the surfaces on the sears that slide against each other.

Do this with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper on a piece of glass. The edge of the glass comes in handy where you need to get into a corner to polish.

I usually then lube the surfaces with a small dot of CV joint (moly) grease.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AirKing View Post
    This weekend I shot a bit with my old gamo 440 and was horrified at how much pressure the trigger needed to release(I did manage to drop 4myanhs though), accurate shooting much more difficult. you can get a replacemet for the gamos horrible trigger from america but I dont know about the BSA. Even if you get work done on the BSA it will no were be near the triggers of you S410 and Elliminator(ENVY!).Good luck
    The "GTX200" trigger available for Gamo's in USA IMO is a poor attempt (sorry Charlie!)at 2 stage. IMO when the second stage is engaged on a 2 stage trigger, the effort required to pull the trigger should increase, as the speed at which the sears disengage increases as you are applying pressure with the 2nd stage closer to the fulcrum. With the GTX200 trigger the effort decreases and the sear movement slows down as the 2nd stage applies pressure further away from the sear fulcrum.

The GTX200 trigger does not replace the sears, it just adds another contact point during the pulling of the trigger.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Most Gamo triggers can be set quite acceptable if the little setting screw is replaced with another that is just a little longer. (2-3mm) It even works on a mod 70 Hatsan to reduce the trigger pull. Don't go too deep, else the sear wont engage on cocking. :claphead

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Putting in a longer screw can be dangerous, as the Gamo trigger is not a true 2 stage. The first stage is a spring, and the sears only begin to move when a pin inside the trigger touches on them. This means that if you set a very short "2nd" stage, there is not much overlap on the sears, and a sharp bump can cause the rifle to fire.

The same applies to the Hatsan, but the Hatsan is a little more dangerous as the sears do not lock up consistently in the same place each time you load, and the recoil is violent enough to shift things around so that each time you load the sears have a different overlap.

On my Hatsan I machined a bit of the plastic away on the trigger and put in a 2nd adjusting screw in front of the original screw. The first stage is when the front screw is in contact with a lever which moves the sear, and moves the sear to a point (adjustable) just before the trigger breaks, which is when the rear screw begins to touch the sears.

I have mine set so that when the 2nd stage is felt the gun is right on the point of firing, and all it takes is a little more pressure to get it to fire.