Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better pellet traps

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Better pellet traps

I used to just shoot air pistols and airsoft but ever since I have got my rifles, the pellet traps got chewed up like crazy, I have replaced two traps in the past 3 months and the third one is about to go. It is not even funny that there are holes in the wall (I didn't know my first pellet trap was gone until I started to see paint and plasters chipping under the trap). I tried two different makes and don't seem to find a difference.

I figured even if I only use a 6 ft/lbs gun, 25shots a day, I would have pumped 9000ft/lbs into the center of the trap in total within 2 months, and the has to hurt.

Am I not supposed to be using this kind of pellet, are there stronger ones. What do you guys use? [br][img:width=200&height=175]../../Deadlinks/public/1152166004_357_FT0_trap_.jpg[/img][br]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There is a trap made of 3mm steel angled so that the pellets is deflected down and then trapped.Will last forever, saw it in the Magnum,will get a number for you tommorow.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

2 mm mildsteel plate angled at seventeen degrees from vertical or seventy three degrees from horizontal will solve your problem and absorb most of the energy to prevent richocet.
    In Potch---look up profile cutter business in your Ind. area---decide on the area of backstop needed---about R70-00 in your pocket--day later you have back--build it into whatever you fancy or just hang it up retaining the angles as above.

These specs are used when making our own traps for our range and we bombard them on a daily basis with quite heavy stuff too. Most of the schools have adopted this design which by the way was prescribed for us by a ballistic expert from the SAFPSGoing for thicker material or even hardened steel like rocktuff either makes the trap heavier or lighter and more expensive-- the secret is in the angles used --too much and the energy is not used up --meaning you have to make elaborate retaining provision or no angle which could cause schrapnel.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

TS had traps like that made from much thicker steel.They are made for the shop buy somebody else.It should last a long time.Give them a call .I am not sure if they still have them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a similar trap, mine is an Industry Brand, cost me about R70. I have brazed along the welds on the cone, and put in a piece of 3mm flat bar at the back, there is a bend in the flat bar to deflect pellets downwards. Should last a lifetime now.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Airking, this month's magnum? I got it last week but haven't read it yet.

Thanks guys

BTW, do FT targets last?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In time any metal target should wear through eventually as the lead abrades the surface away. Some pellets would be more abrasive than others, depending on the alloy used to make them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This month Koos Barnard tested adjustable pellet traps made by a local guy,adjustale for height so you can set them for prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, and jusmping shooting,whatever you prefer. The ones I talk about is not adjustable in height so they will be cheaper, i think it is in last months or the month before's Magnum,will let you know. I think they cost in the region of R150?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Airking, the magnum with the Ruger Blackhawk in 44mag on the front page?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Airking, nevermind, now I know it is in the June issue (I happen to have my copies in the office), went through march to july except June (I was in OZ), nothing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stopper,I will look it up this evening and give you details tomorrow morning.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I found the metal pellet catchers to be a bit noisey, particularly when used indoors. For the 10m shooting I've used a simple wooden box with a front slot sized to suit the most commonly used target card. Into the back of the box I packed duct seal (also known as electricians putty). It soaks up the pellet energy brilliantly, and virtually eliminates noise. The higher powered HFT and FT rifles might require more seal / putty, but the effect should be the same. It really is amazing how it soaks up the pellet energy!

ps: . . . After a while the spent pellets begin to pack into a solid lead ball in the putty. When this happens all one has to do is pick them out with a spoon and re-arrange the putty again.

Regards, HILTON

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I found warping some old clothings around the metal trap keeping the noise down to acceptable level. Maybe I should try duct seal as well, this should keep the lead content of my house down. It is not even funny how much lead dust the thing gerenates. heck how badly the pellet break up on impact![br][img:width=200&height=200]../../Deadlinks/public/1152180444_357_FT21719_pellet_.jpg[/img][br]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My pellets mostly disintegrate into dust as well.

I think the putty trick works only for low energy 10m airguns. There are some ballistics posts on this forum with pics of pellets shot through plasticene (kids "play dough"), IIRC more than 90mm penetration can be obtained with the higher powered airguns.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, probably the quietest and easyest pellet trap can be made form a few simple materials. Get an old ream paper box (the box bulk photo copy paper comes in) put one or two old phone books in the bottom (depending on rifle/ pistol), then pack the rest of the box with "balls" of news paper untill slightly overpacked. Now press the lid on and run box tape arround to hold the lid on. Pieces of cardboard box can be taped on to the front of the box as it wears. These traps are cheap and very quite.
    The duct seal idea is used in some comercial traps. Lead dust in inclosed areas is very dangerouse, if shooting indoors rather use a "silent" trap as it reduces or totally prevents lead dust.