Thread: Newbie - Just bought a CP99. General tips pls

Marius's Avatar Marius

Default Newbie - Just bought a CP99. General tips pls

Yo fellow forum oakes,

Yep, just bought a CP99 over the weekend and it seems to be a fairly good all rounder air pistol. I really have'nt been into formal target shooting that much, but hey, now is a good time.

Some help regarding the proper care of such a CO2 pistol would be great from the "experts" out there. I noticed that the pellets go into the little magazine rather tight. Is this normal ? I bought the following pellets to test the airgun. Gamo Match, Gamo Pro Magnum, Scorpion Sting and S

I've read here and there that one should wash and then lube a new box of pellets before use. Is this common practice ?

I saw a picture on the web with the CP99 fitted with a laser. Looks cool, but the shop where I bought the gun from, seem not to be capable of getting one to check out and maybe buy. I think it might be just for the look of things, but maybe it is worth it to get one?

Hoping to hear from you. :lurk
    Marius

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Marius, welcome and thank you for posting, its always good to get some fresh blood on the forum.

Generally the cheaper the pellet the more likely that they will be of inconsistent sizes and weights, and they will be full of little lead flakes. This is no good for accuracy.

I have washed pellets before to get all of the bits off, but its much easier buying better quality (read "more expensive") pellets like JSB or Air Arms or H&N.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The CP99 is a great all rounder. Very important though is lubrication ie valve maintenance capsules which contain silicone oil. Also you might want to give it a spray (internally) one in a while with silicone spray. The mag can get stuck occasionaly - feels like the trigger is sticking - once again lubrication - you can try a heavy silicone oil on the ratchet of the mag - some-one recommended Prolong but haven't tried it - anyone know?

Have found it prefers flat head pellets like the Geco & JSB air pistol pellets - light pellets do seem better - around 7.4g.

The laser is great - have one on mine but only really works in low light - forget bright sunlight - wife loves it though - she can't miss

Hope that helps.

Marius's Avatar Marius

Thans for the replies, it helps to get the low down from experienced users. Now to get some silicone oil and find a shop in Centurion or surrounding areas that sells airguns and accessories - like the laser and maybe a nice scope for later on.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Marius , I had a CP 99 for a long time , great pistol , regret selling it in a fit of stupidity !

The lazer sight , ( ibought mine from Andre at Hillcrest Guns ) works great . I used to take min CP with me to work ( in sewerage pump stations ) it was great for culling rats & mice & gekos , they poo all over the elctronics !

It did like flat light pellets . I also found that my shooting was better if I manually cocked the pistol , rather than shooting double action .

The laser sight , you have to choose your distance then zero it . Mine was 6 m , & it was so easy to put the pin on a geko or mouse & let him have it . Also , in my case the light down there is poor .

Enjoy the little gun , use lots of silicone oil & greas , & buy oil type co2 bulbs .

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Also got one of these - I understand the need for the maintenance canister but AFAIK the Crosman canisters contain oil, so do you still need to use the maintenance one if you're only using Crosman canisters?

Must say, I'm really impressed by the quality feel of this gun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Perhaps use the oil they use in paintball pistols. You get static free oil that does not combust. I bought from www.dyehard.co.za for when I still had my QB79's.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'vwe got Crosman Pelgunoil, not sure if it's the same? It's recommended for Co2 guns & rifles.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

According to the Pyramidair blog, just put a drop of pellgun oil on the top of each cylinder just before installation. Sufficient to keep the internals of your pistol lubricated.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Excelent, thanks for the info! That should save a bit of money because the oil-less cartridges are R5 vs R8 for the oiled ones. Doesn't sound like much but it'll add up after a while.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

where are you getting Co2 for R5

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Looks like I've had a blond moment. It's R55 for 5, not 10 on Bidorbuy. In that case I'll stick to Crosman at R8 each.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

R5.70
    http://www.wezs.co.za/paintball%20pricelist.htm

Not sure if it's including VAT or not.