Thread: Shooting with moderator... Field Target

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Shooting with moderator... Field Target

I`ve recently bought a silencer for plinking in my garden, what is the advantage/disadvantage of shooting with a silencer, i`ve been told to either always shoot with it on or shoot with it off, i`d rather not have to keep adjusting my sights each time i remove it for FT....is there any loss in velocity/accurancy or long term danmage to the barrel if I keep it on ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pixie,
    I have a home made silencer on my BAM, witch works well keeping the sound down, but as it is still not a permanent fixture, it tends to turn and move around a bit, witch changes the point of impact drastically.

I have found the POI to be very consistent, once youíve found the right position for the moderator / silencer, but it does take some time and effort.

Just something else I found. Cleaning the barrel when the silencer is permanently fitted is not as easy as before, so I wonder if I do want a permanently fitted silencer or just a screw-on, that locks at the same place always.

Good luck :rocker

Swannie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks swannie,
    I have an s400 and bought a air arms silencer, it reduces the noise very effectively and groupings so far seem excellent, would it be a good idea to leave it on for FT?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No Pixie, you can shoot with it on or off, it will not damage anything on your rifle. It is personal choice. You will find that normally your rifle will shoot a bit lower due to the slight weight of the fitted silencer but it will not affect accuracy at all, from shot to shot, once the rifle is zeroed again.
    The bought silencers normally have a cap screw and if you put it back at the same spot i.e on the bottom or top of the barrel you will not have problems. I never take my silencer off because I seldom clean the barrel. I donít find any benefit in it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

GerrieF,
    Het jy nog nooit gehoor van 'net gaan loop skoon maak' nie?

Swannie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ja, maar myne het nie sandsuiker in nie.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"n Stof-wolk"

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I find it easyer to shoot with a silencer fitted.Less movement .Less noise .Only a small drop in POI.As GerrieF said always put it back in the same position.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My Silencer has been on my AA S 400 for 2 years & not been off , so I really cant comment about changed PoI . Dont know .

I do like the silencer , its quiet when plinking , no one gets irritated by the bang bang .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerry,
    You should try to explain that to my neighbour. He recons the noise the pellets make, hitting the target makes his doggy cr@p himself, then he scratches the R1000-00 back door. He would appreciate it very much if I don't shoot in my property any longer. I told him to call me the next time it happens and I will personally kick it in the arse for him. I wonder why the fool donít speak to me any more, I was only trying to teach his doggy some good behaviour.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I found the slip on ones giving less accuracy if not tightly fitted as it may mess with the barrel movement. The scew on one usually work ok. Well, shoot it if the accuracy satys the same or improve (well fitted supressors adds wt to the barrel), then keep it on. I shoot in doors and while neighbours don't have a problem, I $hit my self.