Thread: Magnification needed for range finding

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Magnification needed for range finding

My ego got badly bruised after getting a score of 5 out of 34 on Saturday. I need to blame it on something, the first on my list is the scope. With the 4-12X40 AO , I couldn’t even tell the difference between 30 and 40m, I think I need a scope with higher mag. I need to know what is the min mag I need in order to use the parallax adjustment for range finding. I am looking into buying a N/S 6-24X44 or 8-32X44 with side wheel and sun-shade, would this be enough for now? Or am I supposed to get a really big scope like the 10-50X I saw on the range. I was convinced that I wouldn’t have any money for a new scope but it is strange how one single club shoot changed my mind.

I think I need to practice range finding and shooting at an angle as well ……….so much to do, so little time (I want to at least drop 10 targets at the next one).

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

In respect of mag for r/f use, I would say an absolute minimum is 20x (provided you are willing to put in the practice getting familiar with it), generally the more mag you have the easier it becomes to rangefind.

Realistically if you want quick results go for a minimum of 32x, but buy quality not gizmos, consider the Bushnell 8-32x40 as used by Spyker on one of his rifles, or the Lynx / Nikko Stirling 10-50

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stopper,
    I'm sorry I didn't know who you are on Saturday, I walked past you a dozen of times. In my experience I found that getting what you need the first time out is cheaper than gradually building up to it. I was told that 24x was the absolute minimum so I went for 32x. It was a nice scope but it was not completely up to it for me. I had to spend the money in any case and get the big Nikko. You will find one or two guys with much lower mag scopes shooting dust in your eyes but that is the exception to the rule. One of our new “prominent” shooters just discovered the same thing also reasently. IMHO get the big scope now; you are going to save money in the end. Rather save for a month or two longer and get the equipment you require. Secondly, don't worry too much about the angles, learn to read the wind.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

BTW - shooting at angles, i would worry less about this than about canting the rifle, a spirit level is an extremely useful and comparativley cheap item to add to your outfit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There you go Dale, I wanted to say that as well.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yikes, 4-12 is asking a bit much for longer distances, but I don't think your scope was responsible for the low score, as even the lowly 4x32 can be used to good effect once you get to know it.

Did you spend much time with sighting in before the shoot and were your shots going where you aimed on the paper targets?

I had a Tasco 6-24x50 before I got the ZOS 10-40, I found the Tasco worked very well for ranges out to 35m but didn't get much chance to use it beyond 35m.

The ZOS I have used up to 50m and it rangefinds wonderfully, the image coming quickly into an out of focus making the position of the side wheel more precise.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nope, not much time sighting in, I was abit late.... I know about knowing the gun and stuff, it is just that I only have access to a 10m lane at home and the range (Permier shooting range) I go to is closed until the upgrade is done.

Excuses, excuses........

I think I will go to the club early next time to sight it in and write stuff down on my cheat chart.......

you guys still got ZOS 10-40X50 left?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Even 5 minutes on the range is vital before each shoot, in case a bump may have upset your scope a little. Then also, if you don't have a "cheat sheet", where your gun shot on the sighting in range will be fresh in your mind when you shoot the FT course. Worked well for me at my first shoot, I'm not clever enough yet for dialling in, so I worked out what my hold-over should be for the longer shots, and I didn't miss any of the long shots.

Call me on the ZOS, 0825505272

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Stopper:- I also walked past you a dozen times without knowing it. I used a RWS with a Leupold 4.5-20X scope for my first couple of FT competitions. It is a very good scope wrt optical clarity, turret adjustment, repeatability etc, etc, etc. I soon realised that 20x is not enough magnification to rangefind accurately, especially the longer critical distances ( 35m +). I then bought a Lynx 10 - 50 X60 and my range finding improved drastically. With the Leupold I could easily range 45m instead of the true 50m for instance which was a definite miss (to low). with the Lynx the range finding improved to such an extent that the missis are now more on a horisontal line mainly due to the wind ( I have to blame something for the miss shots).

Imho I would suggest that you go for as big a magnification as you can but try not less than 32X. With a 50x you can rangefind to less than 500mm accurately and with the 32x you should be able to range less than 1m accurate.

At the end it comes down to personal choice and the money in your pocket.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

hey stopper i told you that you would not beet my record of 2 hits for your first shoot. get the biggest scope for the money that you have.

it was only after i put the zos on that i could tell the difference between the 24x and the 40x.

there is only one person who i have seen that is able to range at 16x.

stopper give us your real name and you better be at Leeukop on saturday.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Errol , I think you got it spot on.Buy the best you can or want to afford and then make the most of it.

I remember Avion used to shoot with 12 x mag and still kicked my butt.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sent another zos to uk a week ago.. here is the comment:

Received the scope today, very happy with the way the deal went, the scope was as described ( very good )
    I have owned a number of scopes with a much higher price tag and this one competes with them all .
    Thankyou -geoff

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Stopper, I went the route of buying a smaller magnification at first. I coped very well with it, but if some of your targets stand in the shade, and some in the clear sunlight, I battled, but only on the longer ranges above 40m.

I now have a big Lynx on. (first outing at Wonderboom with it) The range finding improved dramatically, but I found it difficult to at first find the correct target in the scope with scope still out of focus when ranging on high mag. I now developed methods to overcome that problem.

I had a look at the ZOS on Errol's rifle on Sat, and must say I was pleasantly surprized at the clarity and range finding abbility. The field of view on 40 mag is just very small, but would not bother when you get used to it.

In my oppinion, I think the ZOS is the best vallue for money scope on the market in S.A for FT today.
    At less than half the price of the big N/S or Lynx, I think most will agree that it is a good buy.

I agree with Gerrie that on the long run the big N/S and lynx is probably the best, but if your budget does not allow that sort of money, go for the ZOS
    Errol is very happy with his, and his scores speaks for them self.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, looks like i am going to buy a ZOS, waiting for end of month! At least I can stick my 4-12X on my industry AR2078a and shoot HFT with.

Errol, the name is Jon, I would love to come shoot this week but can't, with IPro-SportC and arms fair happening, next time I can come shoot is the next wonderboom shoot.

With the cost involved, I know why my friends would rather go home and spend time with their play station......well, not getting rid of me so easily..........