Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: most powerful air gun on earth?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default most powerful air gun on earth?

currently looking for a good pre-charged airgun for hunting propose. i hav noticed this new condor in 0.177cal, Velocity: 600-1300 feet

is this really worth to buy or there is something else can beat it on overall performence?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The Condor is not worth it in .177 cal.
    It is too powerful and wastes quite a bit of air.
    It was designed to shoot heavy .22 Barracudas or 26gr Dae Sungs.
    The best one for our purposes is the standard Talon with the 18" .177 barrel .
    I have modified mine quite extensively and feel it is definitely the best hunting rig available...light, rugged and accurate.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

here are some pics of mine....

let me know if you need more info...
    I know these Talons pretty well.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

BTW...for the most powerful airguns check out this link..

http://www.glbarnes.com

650+ ft\lbs in 57 caliber

http://www.glbarnes.com/predator_class.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

is that a scooby-do?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

guido, wow! those mod have done so well on your talon. it's truely one of kind. btw,what do u think about talon ss? also beside of diving bottle, is there anything else available locally can be use to refill talon?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The SS has a short 12" barrel and has a built in shroud for silencing.
    It was really made for the USA market where silencers are illegal...rather go for the 18" barrel version.
    It is more accurate, you get a higher velocity and you can add whatever silencer you like.

You can get a pump to charge the cylinder....check out MAC1 airguns in the USA for good prices on Talons and accessories...I strongly recommend the bipod too.

see http://www.mac1airgun.com

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thx, what accessories are "must have" when obtain a talon?

i didn't find talon price (in 0.177cal) on MAC1 site. where is best place to buy?

can talon shoot pointed pellet as well? (some rifle can fit with pointed pellet)

ice's Avatar ice

Quote Originally Posted by boondock
    is this really worth to buy or there is something else can beat it on overall performence?
    Yep, my glock and R5, would beat it hands down.

Had a Talon with 18" barrel in .177. Puffed out 10.6gr pellet @ 1000fps for nearly 24ft/lb. Struggled to keep the velocity down, without affecting shot to shot consistency. Shots per fill was disappointing to say the least, not the easiest gun to quiet down.

Talon is not easy to shoot because of buddy bottle, if you like to tinker and don't mind big bore to scope axis, uncomfy cheekweld, crappy trigger, then go for it.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

MAC1 will supply the .177...email him.
    I really recommend him [Tim McMurray]...he is very reliable.
    The bipod is a must.
    You will need high mounts for any scope you fit since the bottle sits quite high and the scope needs to be mounted high enough to give you a good head position.
    It shoots any pellets...works best with Barracudas.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ice, so what other airgun have the better package than talon but without compromise the velocity and within the same budget?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey!

I think before you go any further with this discussion you should ask the question:
    'What do I want to kill?' Mother in law, I would agree with the Glock or R5. But there are airrifles around which are used in Australia for hunting wild bore. So define your exact intensions. Hunting what? Hunting only? no FT?

Personally I would look at the HW100, and that is not because I own one, but simply because it is an outstanding, powerful and accurate piece of equipment.

I also went through the same process and initially looked at the Condor and the Talon but was put off by the single shot, and the excessive power causing pellet wobble and therefore poor accuracy.

Finally, I would ask a second question. Why am I hunting? To blow something to kingdom come [Mother in law]? Or do I hunt for the thrill of the hunt and the outdoors? The latter meaning skilled field craft, accuracy and a fairly powerful rifle....like the HW100.

Chew on it and you decide.

:cowboy:

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The HW100 is not more accurate than the Talon by any means.

I have the Talon shooting quite consistently at 900fps with Barracudas and have hunted very successfully with it.
    Gets about 70 good shots at that power level.
    At 12ft\lbs you get about 300 shots!!!

Power is very easily adjustable so I do not understand the excessive power theory...maybe in the Condor which I believe the local agents should not even be selling in this country since it was designed for 22cal only.

With high scope mounts it is very comfortable to shoot.

It is a LOT lighter than the HW100 and more rugged.
    It is also half the price.
    You can fit a whole bunch of accessories on it.

Both nice guns but very different.

For the price of the HW100 I would buy the Steyr HP...hehehe but then I am biased!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I...LIKE...MY...CONDOR. The 24" barrel comes in both .177 and .22. Its as noisy as Hell but can be brought down to reasonable levels. Most of the noise I now here is the ding as the striker hits the valve stem. You definitely need a Cylinder to charge it up or you'll bust a gut with the hand pump.
    www.talonownersgroup.com have some nice movies of Airforce rifles in use. I like the "Pidgeon at 48yds" one.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with the Condor...it's just that you can achieve the same results with the standard Talon.