Thread: Oxpho-Blue Paste

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Oxpho-Blue Paste

Have any of you seen this blueing cream (Oxpho-Blue Paste made by Brownells) or know where I can buy it. I read about it in the Yellow Forum and they say it is really good.
    I've cleaned my CF-30 barrel with some rust remover and remove all the blueing. :rolling

REP: Mkonto Manufacturing

User Info Menu

Cold blue's or creams are an OK method but not great, you would be better served by having your barrel hot blackened by your local AIRSMITH or should that be Gunsmith ?

If you are adament in doing it yourself you should rather do a RUST BLUE or BROWNING job. this can easily be done at home if you follow a few simple rules and keep things VERY clean, wear gloves (fingerprints are a BIG problem).

There are a number of formulas in many publications, I would recommend that you stay away from the EXPRESS solutions as they contain things like Mecuric Chloride, it would be FAR healthier to use a formula like NIEDER'S or even common table salt.

Any browning solution will blacken and vice versa, to blacken you must just boil the browned barrel in water. You can also degrease on a small scale with Acetone or dishwashing liquid.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Spear , putting a barrel through a hot traetment cant do it any good.Dont you get stress relieving or is it not that hot ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I used Parker Hale liquid blue some years ago , & it did a fine job .

Okay , it was a carry pistol , so I was'nt too worried about having show room type blueing , but it was there to prevent rust .

It worked , it looked good .

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Hello Spear,

Nice to see your wit is as sharp as ever (oops sorry couldn't resist)!
    Maybe us "local" airsmiths are not yet upto spec as the industry is still young (and I am not allowed to blue "gun" parts, heavens no!!), but please look up a small time airsmith at www.glbarnes.com and learn something about airsmiths!
    Happy Happy!

REP: Mkonto Manufacturing

User Info Menu

Hi Warrick,

Thanks for the link, very interesting, must be family !

Hot blueing takes place at around 135 deg C and stress relieving, of centerfire barrels, takes place at 535 deg C