Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is effective range for your air gun?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default what is effective range for your air gun?

i did a test with my cheap spring airgun (QB36-2 @1000fps) by put a coke can 100m away as a target. after few tries, some shots with normal pointed pellet still hit the target hard and penetrate through the coke can, surprisingly, pellet drop really can be ignored.

is this powerful enough to take down pigeon or bigger bird at 100m away? does people really hunt at longer ranges?

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shooting any animal/bird past 50 meters is foolish. You WILL wound some and that is really not the way to go. Stick to coke cans past 50m. Great fun at 60 + if the wind is whispering.

ice's Avatar ice

My gun can kill most airgun quarry at 70m +

My ability to shoot straight stops at about 45-50m depending on wind and last nights party favourites.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Boondock,

As ice quite correctly says in terms of pure performance most of the better quality rifles are capable of producing kills at quite long ranges.

However the real limiting factor is the skill of the shooter. Get yourself a knock down field target and set it out at various distances and establish the maximum distances that you can knock it down with every shot. If every shot from the standing position knocks it down at 25 metres then make that your maximum distance when standing, if you can achieve the same result at 40 metres from a sitting FT position then that should be your maximum distance from that stance.

Don't try to substitute power for accuracy when hunting with an airgun, given the sort of accuracy I have seen from some of the guns that claim to achieve 1000fps they only allow you to miss much quicker.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Why does most people suffer from the longrange sniper syndrome ?

ice's Avatar ice

'cause my sniper have a longer range than yours! Unfortunately i cannot test it's true abilities cause i have a big mountain in my way!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, fully agree with u.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

it's started with a thought: use a hammer smash a chicken in front of u is easy. coz it's too close to u. most of people can do it. i agree use airgun to do hunting is based on short range. but what IF your rifle CAN shoots 100m+ and still carry massive power to take out a animal Instantly without suffer wound. will that add more challenge facts to the game?

sounds maybe stupid. but technically should be done.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I dunno, my effective range seems to be around 5m today.

Neeeeeeeeeed a sugar fix methinx.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lots of airrifles have enough power at 100 meters to kill an animal. The shooters ability to put the pellet in the "kill zone" everytime is the problem. Animals/ birds don't die when shot through the legs.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Avion
    Pic a few leaves on the left for a "fix" :beer:

ice's Avatar ice

Boondock, a 30-35m headshot on a pigeon is very satisfying for me and to most shooter, would proof to be quite a challenge. I'm not into uber long shots, because i'm killing with precision, not trying to hit the target.

Satisfaction for me is reading the wind, getting near enough for a certain one shot kill, and not the distance. I've had 20m shots that was a big challenge - wind, sun, no rest, up hill and so on.

You have enough things against you as it is, hunting with an airgun - 7-10gr pellet coasting at 700-1000 fps. Don't complicate matters, just enjoy.

Happy "short range" hunting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i have a dream. one day the airgun can shoot the same power as the real gun.

hehe. keep dreaming

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"Real gun", that's exactly what I thought an airgun is, if not ... define a real gun ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boondock
    i have a dream. one day the airgun can shoot the same power as the real gun.
    why?

these days you can get big-bore air rifles thats capable of crazy (for an air gun) ftlbs. ie greater than .22 rf's. do you consider .22 lr....etc a real gun?

back in the old days......ie before gunpowder.........armys (don't know which one.......in eu i guess) had these monster "air guns/cannons" thats again capable of crazy energy levels.

if you want a "real gun"...........then go get a "real gun".