Thread: Cannon 737

User Info Menu

Default Cannon 737

I am planning a camping trip and would like to bring a air rifle along to bag something for the pot. I can't really shoot a springer well and don't want to bring a a scuba tank along. I am thinking of getting a multi-stroke pump (I used my toy pump master once but i had to get within 10m for a clean kill, might as well use a springer) and am looking into buying a Cannon 737. Has anyone used one? How good is it? does the brass barrel last?

User Info Menu

eekk...rather get a PCP and take along a pump

Dale is offline Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The Cannon 737 is based on the old Sharp Innova, which was a highly respected air rifle. Lightweight, compact, recoilless and accurate with no reliance on external power sources.

I bought one from Hennie's shop off Zambesi Drive in Pta back in May as a present for my host's son, it struck me as a well made copy capable of decent level of accuracy. the brass barrel should be fine, Benjamin/Sheradin use brass and bronze barrels to good effect on their rifles.

Give it two pumps and it was fine for plinking, put 10 pumps in and it has quite a belt for hunting. If you don't plan on firing huge numbers of shots then it will be fine. A good little rifle for the price (about R1000), add a small scope and mounts and it will be a nice little 'camp' gun.

Dale

User Info Menu

Gerry's got one.........i've had a few shots with it........exactly as Dale described above. it should make a nice 'camp' gun.

personally i would rather get a pcp pump........no need to find a new scope/learn the characteristics of the rifle/find the right pellet/learn the trajectory........etc b4 it's ready for the field.

User Info Menu

So instead of pump it 10 times/shot I pump it 800 times to get to 180bar...... Ouch.

So the Cannon 737 is OK then? One reason I don't want to bring my PCP/CO2 rifles is that they are too bulky with scope (one has a 10-40x50 and the others 12X44AO and I don't feel like taking them off) and the mag is too high. I was thinking of getting a Cannon or crosman 2100 and mount a 4X32 for hunting out to 30m plus lots of plinking with my climbing mates (who I trust with my life but not my PCP).

User Info Menu

rather get a cheap springer..a BSA lightning perhaps..

The Professor

User Info Menu

If I had a choice between the Cannon 737 and a Lightning ............. hmmm........ I would go with the Cannon - my experiences with Lightnings to date is not favourable (and they aren't 'cheap&#039, now if we were talking an HW99S then that would be a different matter, but the HW would be way more expensive.

Comparing Cannon to the Crosman - the 737 is way better, fitted with a little 4x32 I think it would be spot on for what you have in mind. For the occasional hunting shot give it 8-10 pumps, for plinking 2-3 pumps is perfect and requires very little effort. To give you some idea the one I bought was a birthday present for my friend Nic Roets's 7yr old son who was able to easily put in 3 pumps!

Dale

User Info Menu

Springer crossed my mind but I think it is easier for my buddies to make a clean kill with a pump up than a springer (otherwise I could just take my cheap B-2 and make them suffer). So Guido, why are you against the pump ups, it that anything I should know?

BTW 1 other reason againtst PCPpump is that my climbing mate have never touched a PCP and that means I will be the only one doing the pumping.......

Just how much is a BSA lighting anyway?

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    There is another little champion in the making. I saw him shoot a pistol and rifle at Brits with his dad and mom.

User Info Menu

How about a nice HW40 pistol ? Very packable.
    Just keep your shots inside 15M.

The Professor

User Info Menu

Personally I don't see there is any problem with a decent quality pump rifle, provided you are not needing to take a large number of higher power shots in quick succession.

When I talk about a quality pump up rifle I would mean the Sharps/Sheridan (also Benjamin if still available) rifles - the current Crosman and Daisy rifles are mostly cheap plinkers nothing more.

As the Cannon is a copy of a good design and is pretty well made I would rate it as a good little rifle, no it is not the equal of an S400, but then it is not designed to be.

Gerrie, I agree in respect of little Nic, give him a few years and I reckon he will be very good.

User Info Menu

My Cannon is a great plinker , not pile driving accuracy , not the greatest trigger , but for all round fun its great .

Not much point of impact variation between 3 & 6 pumps up to
    20 metres . So if you're fooling about in the back yard , 3 pumps is all you need .

It takes a fair bit of strength to get it up to 8 pumps & you'll only do it once or twice in an arvey . Problem is your arm muscles take so much punishment , you gotta wait for the muscles to stop shaking before your high power shot .

Then I wonder if it was my arms that caused the lack of accuracy or the extreme speed of the pellet .

All in all I like mine , but its never going to be a replacement for my S 400 .

I got it to carry in the bakkie behind the seat , so I could do my vermin eradication thing while out & about at pump stations ( taking out indian mynas )

However , due to my imminent move to UK , I dont believe I can bulldust the authorities into believing that I'll never get it above the 12 f/lb limit , ( without serious arm shake ) so it'll have to remain behind in SA. I think the UK authorities are a little more switched on in these issues .