Thread: Beware cheap rifle bags!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Beware cheap rifle bags!

I bought a "special" combo in December, a springer with scope and bag.

I have been using the bag to carry my HW97K. Last weekend I was walking with the bag over my shoulder on the sling, and the stitching let go on the loop which holds the sling at the top. The bag toppled over backwards and the tip of the barrel hit the floor. The barrel bent. This on a gun only 2 months old and fired only 1500 pellets.

I have managed to straighten it and accuracy is not affected, but I'll never feel the same about the gun again, its like driving a car thats been panelbeated, it just never feels the same.

Hope to see you all at the next Provincial with my panelbeated springer...I got 19/30 at Leeuwkop on 29-7-2006...if I do worse next time I can use my "the barrel's bent" excuse, hehehe

Hey, when are we getting our signatures back and the new turbocharged website?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Hey huffnpuff , sawe the same thing hapen to a guy a Leeuwkop when his sling broke.Cant rremember who it was but he caught the gun in mid air and made his own day .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, i remembered that................iirc it was the leeuwkop worlds fund raising shoot last year........and the dude that pulled off the crouching tiger hidden dragon move was no other than DSF. smoothly done..........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My friend was hunting with my gamo 440 once and we were about to cross a "train spoor" with very steep embankments when he slipped on the grass and started running down the slope uncontrollably, at the bottom the gamo's barrel was first to hit the rocks with my friends weight pushing on it. I thought there would be damage but there was none except to the plastic muzzle brake/sight. Maybve it was just luck that no serious damage occured.

huffnpuff,I did not think that a barrel can bent that easily?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The HW97K is no lightweight as it is, and with a big scope and in the bag, there is quite a bit of combined weight.

It was like it sort of tipped over, pivoting at the bottom, like a tree falling down, only with the bottom of the pivot point raised above the ground (thank goodness or my scope could have been damaged too), so the barrel had quite a bit of speed by the time it hit the floor.

I knew I should have taken up Kung-Fu-falling-gun-catching-lessons....