Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP NEEDED!(info)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default HELP NEEDED!(info)

HI guys,I`m new in the air rifle game and at this stage have a Gamo CFX springer.Iwant to buy a PCP now but don`t want it to cost me a arm and a leg.Was thinking of buying a CZ200S,but have been seeing a lot of the BAM 51 but dont know anything about them.The thing is that I would prefer a Little more power because I want to use it for hunting as well.Could someone plz advise me wich route to go,others than these two also welcome.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Goose as I said. Bam's are high power so that will suit you.

CZ is a small gun and wont go past 12ft/lb without a tune up.

Air arms S400ERB also a nice high power rifle with a nice way to turn the power up or down.They are not cheap though.

HW100 is also a nice high power unit.Nit cheap either.

There are a few FX rifles that would suit the job.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan has got to be an Englishman, he's always a head and shoulder infront of me, but so he just might be right, but then again it's strange that hasn't asked you to wait till you could afford an AA400? !grr

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Goose, from the stock point of view, the CZ 200 S is a kid's rifle (Stock too short, too light, foreend not deep enough not enough space for scope with long eye relief), the up side is that the thing is remarkably accurate out of the box and the trigger is more user friendly than the BAM. Also, it is close to the 12/lbs limit out of the box for FT use. You really need to get butt spacers and foreend raiser for it and file off some wood just behind the trigger but that's it.

The Bam, on the other hand, is powerful out of the box (about 20ft/lbs), is based on the Daystate Harrier and very very well built but won't shoot normal (8gr ish) pellets accurately out of the box. down tuning is easy if you listen to what guys (boondock, swannie, warrick and them) say and just do it (took me 3 weeks to learn this the hard way). Apart from that the only complains are the rather "farm tool" style trigger (and it is of the wrong shape), loose fitting stock (I glass bedded it, 1hr's work if you have done it before). Oh yes the thing has lots of extremely sharp corners especially over the scope rail, be very careful, mine has drawn blood a few times........

All in all, out of the box, the CZ is better (plus most of the work a CZ needs is external) and there isn't that much of a price difference (R3500 for a Cz and R2600 for a Bam but you need another R650 for an fill adapter for the BAM). And then you rig it up with a SCUBA tank (u won't find one under R1000 unless you are very luck) and you still need a paralex adjustable scope (most normal scope have paralex set to at least 100m, not very conductive if you are trying to shot a pea size target at <50m ) so don't expect to spend less than R5000 on it.......

A cheaper alternetive is to get a QB79 co2 rifle (less than R800) and have it tuned by Warrick (or buy a tuned one from him) to 12 ft/lbs. Say you spend R1100 on a tuned QB rifle and R130 for a co2 tank (it one cost R1/oz to refill) and you are ready to go. Better, try a AR2078 (or ar2078A) for ABOUT R200 MORE with much better stock, 10m style sights (you even get an open sight as well), barrel weight, fake 2 stage trigger and it can be filled from powerlet and c02 tank (you will need a ASA adaptet for R100). SO buy one for R1000 and play with it to see if it is for you and if you can slways sell it for r200 less easy.....

From a newbie point of view (I only started the whole airguning thing 4 months back), Bam, CZ and qb (ar2078) are all good value for money. On the other hand, I own all of the mentioned rifles I would say I am a happy owner but am saving for a AA S400MPR, so I denpend on whether or not do you just want to haunting/plink rifle (That's what I said when I started)........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Goose/Stopper,
    Close your eyes, take your credit card to the gun shop , buy a S400 and equipment and leave it up to the bank manager to recover the money from you, as and when you have it. +- R10,000. I did that.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The bank manager is still trying to recover the cost for my BAM and Zos scope (did pay off the CZ)........and I am not going to try the micro-loan guys.........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hennie can now sell to you on a 6,12,24x months(?) credit basis. Give him a chance to get back from Poland and phone him. I am not sure if the months for credit is correct, but give it a try.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Stopper
    The AR 2078 is worth R 2000, if you can please correct your statement above...... We must first find out what goose wants from an air rifle before we give him seven options to choose from..... If he is in the market for a 12ft.pound one, then there are a few options and even the CO2 one's suggested might only be able to give you say 9ft.pound, unless Warrick gets hold of it......
    That is why the BAM is the right entry-level I would suggest for him, because of the variation in power once you get to know it..... The BAM will shoot 150 shots at ~9ft.pounds, 100 shots at 12ft.pounds and 50 shots at ~23ft.pounds after very little tinkering..... If that is not enough after a year's playing around, upgrade by all means and get yourself something more special, but be prepared to pay at least R 8 000.- more for your pleasure.....!!!!
    Keep the GAMO CFX for all practice shots up to 15m, but do'nt expect PCP accuracy out of the springer at longer distances..... PCP's can also be very pellet sensitive, but generally not as bad as springers, although you must keep the speed down to not more than 1050 by weight selection....

Malan :jump3 :jump3 :jump3 :love

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hell guys, thanks a million for all this info. All i have to do now is sit a little bit and work through all of this. I just became a member on this awsome site and already feel welcome.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Malan, typo corrected.....

About a year back , i saw some Ar2078a for R1700 but lately you could get them for much lower...... I got mine from VLT 012 3330170 (speak to joe, say you heard about it from Jon) for just under R1000, I think continental weapons is not selling them (most just buy QB79 ) so they just dump the excess stuff at lowered price like usual (after the new gun-law was in effect, they dumped the surplus M1911a1 for R600 wholesale!). Sadly they don't have any AR2079A. But of box acuracy is awesome for the price although only made 600ft/lbs but then for something like R450, Warrick will do a 12 ft/lbs tune for you. It is not worth trying to save the tune up money by DIY as the QB/AR are not so forgiving compare to the BAM (you actually have to turn the valve and drill a bigger hole by the port). If you make a mistake, there goes the rifle and if BAm was fussy, the QB is hell (you WILL damage the o-rings everytime when stripping unless you deburr the holes first). I am just not too sure how many power shots will the small co2 tube give after power tune but then you must just keep the 20oz tank handy. Say R1000 for the AR, R200 for the 20oz tank (or R130 for 9oz if you think you might end-up buying a QB79 laster as well) and R100 for the asa adapter (it is hell trying to get the factory hose off the uesless factory adapter but you have to do that unless you wanna pay R16 for powerlet everytime) you are ready to go......

You can always send it to Warrick later (note, warrick charges a bit less if you buy the rifle from him tuned) but for a start you can just get the feel of it and decide if you really want more out of it (otherwsie just past it on to the kids) . Again, don't DIY the QB/AR tune, send it to Warrick.......

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

goose
    Stopper's last comments are mostly about CO2's and stuff.... Trust me, you do'nt want to go there.....!!!
    Get yourself a tuned BAM second-hand or buy a new one...., it is very satisfying and forgiving to play around with....

Malan :blueyes :blueyes :blueyes :thumbsup

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip...DON'T go there...

rather get a BAM or CZ200

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There is nothing worng with a good Co2 rifle (except if you try to shoot it at -2 degree like I do) for general purpose plinking and hunting out to 40m (with tune) but PCPs are much better if you don't mind paying for it (at 3x the cost, they better be). In terms of sccuracy, you can expect 1 hole group at 10m and under an inch from 35m from a QB/AR rilfe provided you shoot when it is at least 15 degree and give some time between shots (at least 30 sec)

Still think Co2 rifle is good as a first rifle and a backup rifle, it boils down to what exactly what you want to do. I started airgunning as indoor supplement to center fire shooting and plinking so the QB is way cool in that regard but If there is a remote chance that you might do FT later , buy a PCP...... The guys on this forum warned me about getting a OK CO2 rifle just to buy a PCP later (I didn't listen, now I shoot FT after 4months and paid the price).

I think it would be best if Goose goes to one of the shoots and check out the hardware for himself (he might actually fall in love with a EV-2 and hand over a credit card).

To sum it up Co2 guns offer good accuracy at low cost for people only shoot a tin of pellet every 2 months. And BAM is a enetry level FT/hunting provided you are willing to do some work yourself (took me 3 weeks, could have done that in 2 days if I listened to the guys) and CZ best out of box performance for under R3500. If you get the bullet drop right, nothing wrong with 12ft/lbs out to 40m for hunting for you will stay in a 1 inch kill zone from 15 to 40m and with 7ft/lbs at the far end, more powerful than some street corner springers at the muzzle.

One more thing, it is the CZ 200s and ant the T model we are talking about, it costs R1000 more and makes less than 8ft/lbs out of the box (they should actually make a 12ft/lbs CZ200 with the adjustable stock but no sight for a price half way between the s and t models).

I don't want to open a can of worms but how about a Gas-ram for his Gamo?

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Hi Goose, welcome to the forum and the rest of us windbags. Check your Private Messages.
    Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Warrick,
    Come on now, make public what you say so we can keep an eye on you.