Thread: Dinged my stock.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Dinged my stock.

Yep, damaged the underneath of the foregrip chequering on my S400.

Tears, heartache, sorrow, cursing... sigh. Well it's done now - like they say - the first time is the worst.

Thing is, it wasn't dropped, bumped against a tree or manhandled, I put it in the case, didn't do all the slide locks up and it chafed some of the tips of the chequering off whilst travelling 200m down a gravel road in my cab.

Yep, I'm a 'nana alright.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sorry to hear...........think of it as character building.
    it's characters like these that makes ur setup unique and different to any other s400.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

strip the varnish off the stock , sand the chequering off [it's machine pressed chequering anyway and looks crappy] and get the stock stippled then oiled.

Anytime you ding the stock after that it is easily repairable in a few minutes and looks better overall

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

guido my carpentry skills are non existant at best. How much would people charge for this kind of work? Just a ballpark is fine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my connection in CPT, he charges +/- R500 for sanding, stain, oiling.....to the classic london finish.

and iirc, R180 per panel of stippling. ie. the fore end = 1 panel.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

stipple the grip too...it will look really cool.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've seen pics of an S400 stippled, then the stippled area has somehow been 'blackened'. Very effective and pleasing to my eyes.

Hell, I might sell a kidney and get the Tawnado stock instead.

8)

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I just brushed some woodstain into the stippling with a toothbrush

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have the stippling job done, then go to local hardware store, purchase i bottle of raw linseed oil and steal the misuss's teak oil. Mix 1 part teak oil in volume to 4 parts linseed. Apply liberally with a brush, while wet take 1200 grit and sand the wet oil till it makes a sludge, leave overnight to dry, next day wipe clear with a soft rag, repeat process up to 12 times. Beautifull silky finish that highlights the character of the wood. Takes a lot of time but is cheaper and oh the bouquet of frshly oiled wood!

G'luck!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ta for the advice.

You guys don't rate TRU-OIL any?

I think I'd best get a second hand stock for my S400 or do the Gamo's stock first to see how I get on.

Kinda nervous about making it a total disaster.