Thread: Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24x56

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24x56

Just a quick first impression. I've been using the scope for a couple of weeks now and overall I'm quite impressed.

The light transmission is actually quite good for a scope in this class and I think Hawke have really sorted out their glass in 2010. This one comes with the SR12 reticle which I'm beginning to like. Holdovers are very nice with this reticle, which is just as well, since dialing in on the turrets is less than perfect. You need to give the turret a good healthy pull to unlock it and then the clicks are a bit mushy.

To be fair it does not compare with the latest big Nikko and it is not in the same league as my Bushnell Elite or Leupold. But at less than R4000 I'm very impressed! The Falcon is probably better but I haven't looked through one yet.

Also the BRC software seems to be spot-on, which is nice for HFT or if you prefer not to dial in on FT.

So - Optics: 6/10 (This is not a scientific test!)
    Mechanics - 7/10 (Turrets could use work)
    Reticle - 7/10 (I like it - but not everyone will)
    Value for Money 9/10

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have the 8-32 and impressed as well and ranging is better for me compared to the Leapers I tested.
    I dial and have not had any issues but that Christmas tree reticle does work well

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default where

where and price

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I bought mine from Hillcrest gun shop for around R3800

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Is there any long term updates on this scope after subjecting them to some use

Currently available at Safari and outdoor for R3500 as per their web site
    http://www.safariandoutdoor.co.za/it...12_illuminated

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sold mine a few months ago - it was rained on but not too badly abused. Worked fine and didn't lose zero. R3500 is a good price!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

have been using my 8-32x56 extensively and am really impressed. the SR12 is growing on me too. as for where - the guys at Safari and Outdoor were awesome - ordered online and it was in durban 2 days later- at my door.