Thread: Anschutz Recall

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Default Anschutz Recall

The factory has recalled a series of aluminium cylinders manufactured up to Dec.2005.

Contact us for details 011--9004477

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is SERIOUS.

I found a cylinder,which belongs to a girl at our club, with 3 visible cracks in it. I immediately removed it from the rifle and deflated it. The cylinder will be returned to Anschutz for replacement.

PLEASE warn everybody you know that owns an Anshutz to check the cylinder or to have it checked.

We cannot afford an incident where equipment failure causes an injury, the "greenies" and the anti-gunners will haunt us...

:awais :awais :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It's amazing how few people actually thoroughly check their equipment before and after each shoot.
    It only takes 2 minutes to give it a wipe down and check for wear and tear, but they just don't do it.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

adrsny
    Surely you found a girl with the alleged cylinder at your club..... It almost sounds as if the girl had 3 visible cracks in it....????
    Please do not deflate the girl as well when you confiscate her....!!!!!

Malan :awais :awais :awais !lol

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

a girl with 3 cracks?
    Yikes...I will keep quiet now...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Semantics.. In die toekoms praat eerder AFRIKAANikko Stirling

Die foto's wat ek geneem van die "krake" het het selfs vir Mike Potgieter laat skrik..

Die silinder was na my professionele mening dae van 'n ontploffing af!!!

Oor hierdie saak maak ek nie grappies oor "cracks" of "crackheads" nie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guys (English so all can understand)

I am NOT victimizing Anschutz.... So I call on everybody to do a thorough inspection of your cylinders BAM, DOM, FWB, Walther, Steyer, EV2, etc etc (all makes).

Safety is paramount :awais :awais :awais

[br][img:width=200&height=143]../../Deadlinks/public/1158355825_161_FT24314_crack_.jpg[/img][br]

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

bloody hell!!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

EEK ! That is scarey , I read some where that a PCP is actually like a bomb , which is let off in a controlled manner .

That cracked cylinder aint gonna be a controlled bomb any more .

I guess we all get complacent from time to time , things like this are good , it makes us all sit up and take notice .

With dive cylinders most folk dont do their own refills , so a third party does that and should give it at least a visual inspection .

With our PCPs we do the fill and only we do the visual inspection .

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Being in the Failure Analysis business--components I must thank Adriaan for his immediate reaction and for publishing photos on this forum.
    The post by Gerry needs to be taken very seriously.Each one of us must make a habit of looking for failure indications every time we are near PCP rifles and High Pressure cylinders like Scuba bottles etc.Also operators of compressors who fill cylinders and bottles need to be lisenced if they fill for the public.We recently became aware of one of our own members who fills this way for his mates and others---he is not a lisensed operator--they are also trained to spot basic failure indications on vessels and that scuba bottles are within there valid inspection period.
    Not only production problems such is in the case of this recall cause failures but there are other signs to look out for: Visible defects like dings,scratch marks heavy corrosion bulges threads that are dirty,oiled or adaptors that screw in and out with dificulty.If anything needs oil it needs to be applied very lightly with a cloth preferably and immediately wiped dry--silica as found at scuba shops is preferable and definetly no petroleum based lubricants.
    One blow up and we as a sporting group have serious problems.

User Info Menu

Here is an extract from the Anschutz website.

Recall of aluminum air cylinders

During product observation and quality control measures the J. G. ANikko StirlingCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KG has found out, that a certain production lot may show material defects at the compressed air cylinders of target air rifles.

This material defect may lead to a sudden failure of the aluminum air cylinder. The manometer or the filling valve may loosen from the air cylinder. Serious injuries cannot be excluded.

For safety reasons a check and - if necessary - exchange by the manufacturer is essential. The below listed air cylinder series - only until year of manufacture December 2005 - may be concerned:
    Check if your aluminum air cylinder is affected:
    Select the type of your aluminum air cylinder, enter the four digit number of the production year (in the picture below blue framed), and the six digit serial number of your cartridge (in the picture below blue underlined), and then click on -Check-.

For a safe assignment, please select the type of your cartridge concerned! Air cylinder, silver, length 430 mm: from 012947 to 016846 Item-No. 711.3415
    Air cylinder, red, length 430 mm: from 002444 to 002527 Item-No. 711.3414
    Air cylinder, black, length 430 mm: from 000006 to 000053 Item-No. 711.3413
    Air cylinder, Junior length 290 mm: from 001632 to 002225 Item-No. 711.3412
    The type of your cartridge is not specified

User Info Menu

Replacement cylinders arrived!Contact Louis.

Air Arms service will be available at Ermelo on the 26th of September the First Day of the National Schools Championships.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Is that service or is it service? Well done Anschutz and Importer.