Thread: Field Target airguns

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target airguns

Hi All,

Iím new to this forum and hoping to get some advice on FT rifles.
    We have no power restrictions here in New Zealand so not interested in 12ftp rifles.
    We also have very little back up as far as sorting problems goes so the rifle needs to be as good as possible out of the box.
    I guess the two main candidates are the Steyr and the Walther from what I read the Walther is very temp sensitive and has regulator problems, has this been overcome yet? I havenít heard of to many problems with the Steyr, do they have any?
    What ever I get Iíll have to import my self so canít really try one first
    Any advice would be most appreciated
    Thanks
    Paul

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Paul , welcome to the site .

Jump on a plane , come here for a week , try every type , talk face to face with the guys , buy an Air Arms S 400 , go back and have fun for years .

Where are you in NZ ?

I have shooting family andshooting ex cop and soldier mates there .

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

shooting family and a shooting ex cop and soldiers? I thought NZ was a calm place...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for that

I'M in Hawke's Bay
    s400 they certainly seem popular
    Pity they don't have a HP version of the EV2

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Paul,

In terms of the Walther, from the factory no the problem has not been addressed.

Although you live in a country with no power restrictions, I would not so readily discount using a 12 Ft.lbs rifle. Consider SA as an example, they have no power limit, but a limit on calibre. For FT they have chosen to go the 12 Ft.lbs route and at their second attendance at the world championships they came second overall as a team and Jason Guthries took 3rd place using his S400.

Should you wish to compete on the international scene, the majority of countries use 12Ft.lbs rifles, the obvious exception being the USA, who have a limit closer to 20Ft.lbs, however it is very noticeable that when they compete outside their country at lower powers they are disadvantaged.

The above is worth considering. Power just for the sake of it is rather pointless.

On the rifle front, if you currently lack much in the way of back-up service then I would be inclined to suggest go with a comparativley simple rifle such as the S400. It has the same accuracy potential as the Walther etc, but with an action that is easy to work on with a little research.

They can also be easily adapted into a full-on FT rig:

Deadlinks_imagefiles/njs400ft5.jpg[/img]

See here for details: deadlink/content/content.php?content.43

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A good read Dale thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

...and the best advise you could get this year.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I agree with Dale completely. If you want to hunt then you need to find the most suitable level of calibre, power and accuracy. For FT, I would stick to an FT regulated rifle with 12 Ft.Ibs preferrably and not more then 20Ft.Ibs for HFT. Alot of folks have 2 rigs, 1 for hunting and the other for FT. If you have no restrictions on calibre then I would choose .25 or higher for hunting. Only problem with higher then .25 is availability of ammo cause then you will be needing 9mm, 308, .457 or .50 slugs.

The S400 and S410 are great quality and super accurate rifles for FT and I'm sure there are many others. For hunting I would recommend either BAM, Talon or Ultimately the Sumatra which comes in 177, .20, .22, .25 and 9mm calibre...

ps: My Sis lives in Wellington........

Happy shooting and be safe...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1158317678=pauln]
    I guess the two main candidates are the Steyr and the Walther from what I read the Walther is very temp sensitive and has regulator problems, has this been overcome yet?

[/quote1158317678]

Hi pauln, the problem we encoutered with the Walther's sensitivity to temperature fluctuations have been resolved with a small, very simple mod and the rifle performs exellent in a wide temperature spectrum. One of our Walther owners did a couple of tests with a variety of different FT rifles and most if not all were temperature sensitive to a certain extent. With the mod on the Walther it is now very temperature insensitive and for temperatures between 12 deg celsius and 43 deg celsius the spread in velocity variations are now in a very acceptable 12 - 14 fps.(784-798 fps) !amazed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input Guys, most appreciated

For hunting I have a .22 40ft Air Wolf which I am pretty impressed with.
    Accurate and with Daystateís new big carbon fibre silencer very quite.

I have the urge to get race gun, not only to use in the pretty limited FT competition here in NZ but to also shoot bench rest out to 100yds
    This is were I see a big advantage for the HP performance as opposed to 12ft which would be fairly challenged at 100.
    And as I have a bench in my back yard this is probably what I will use it for most
    Regarding the Walther modification is this done at the factory? As we donít seem to have an active importer here in NZ I hope to import directly from the factory.
    Also is this modification on the 21j version
    Havenít heard back from Walther as yet regarding importing, but have from Steyr and they are happy to sell direct to me at a very good price I might add, considerably less than the importer in my part of the world.

Regards

Paul

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

see my post Deadlinks/forum_viewtopic.php?24164[/url]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

y not use ur current air wolf for long range shooting and get another 12fpe rig for ft.

a 12fpe .177 don't stand a chance in 100m league if compare with .20 and .22.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido thanks for the link, been following that one.

Boondock may do that, the Wolf is certainly a keeper
    but recon a HP .177 using the new JSB Exact heavy 10.3 might do ok at 100

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido ,
    my mates that went to live in NZ went there for the peace , but as we all know , there are wierdos who need some one to wield a big stick and that keeps every one calm and peaceful .

A couple of them shoot Service rifle competitions , brother in law hunts .

The law there licences the MAN , the fire arms just gets registered . If you are a good guy and are licenced for a semi auto , you can buy one or two if you want to .

No handguns !

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Sounds like paradise...