Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with mods

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default Need help with mods

I have a B2 at home, that I want to experiment with.
    It seems like the ideal gun to try stuff with, and there are no way in hell that I am fiddling with my BSA

I know how to polish the internal parts, change springs, do some minor woodwork etc. What I want to know is how to shorten the barrel.... make it a carbine.

Please, I need some advise. I know it is a cheapy, but I still want it to be able to shoot afterwards.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have done the following:
    Replace the piston washer with Weiraugh washer.
    Replace the spring
    Polish piston, transferport and trigger.
    Push a pellet into the barrel from the front, just past the mark where you want to cut it of. Take the hacksaw and CAREFULLY cut the barrel shorter. File 100%square. Use a drill to crown the barrel. Finish crowning with a ball bearing and grinding paste.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Farmer
    You will be able to shoot it afterwards, that I can promise you..... But the question to ask is what kind of accuracy do you expect once you have lopped off a piece of the barrel.....???? Especially if you lop it off behind the choked section in the barrel.... If you find no choked part in the barrel, I expect the rifle to be inaccurate as it is and therefore make it as short as you want it.....!!!!!

Malan :crazy :crazy :crazy :nono

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't shorter barrel with the same spring shorten the gun's life? they always say the pellets will have to stay in the barrel long enough to keep the pistol from smacking the action (some smiths claim even very light pellets will lead to shortened service life). Oh well, the b2 spring is n't that powerful....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The pellet will have travelled less than 2 inches before the piston hits the wall and will have reached maximum velocity in less than 25cm. Light pellets (less than 7gr?) will/can shorter life and possibly damage the gun since the air cushion will not be sufficient before the piston hits the wall. Very heavy pellets will also shorten spring life.

User Info Menu

Lewis, you say "Replace the spring" .

Is that the standard B2 spring or is there a more powerfull spring from another rifle that will work?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer , I'll be shot down in flames for this .

Many years ago when the authorities decided to licence airguns , I took my Gecado 25 to the workshop . I was'nt prepared for more hassle with the cops .

I cut off the stock & made a crude pistol grip .

I sawed the barrel , left about 8 inches of it .

I then kept it out of sight from cops , but in the meantime this little spook has fired thousands of projectiles.

Pellets , plasticene plugs , bicycle ball bearings , home made darts , you name it .

When the shops would'nt sell me pellets without showing my licence I bought pellets by the thousand from a friendly trading store in the valley.

I recently put a full stock on it , and it still shoots hundreds of pellets per year . its not a sniper gun , but it fills vrot naartjies and apples with lead .

The spring has'nt broken , and I've not picked up any peculiarities with it .

I suppose blind ignorance is sometimes ok .

So , if you have one of these cheepeelas and you feel like applying a bit of crocodile engineering , go for it . If it works good , if it does'nt you learnt a lesson.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't tell people I did it. I have butchered a B-2 as well.

Deadlinksview=image&imageId=1883[/url]

I painted it black, looked $hit, then I found a some brown cloths and stuck it on the stock before the paint dried, works wonder in the bush....

I also found cramping the slot (where the barrel joint is) with a vice helped alot as it eliminated the play between barrel and action. Not something I would do to anything more than R299.

BTW if you are going to polish the trigger, to save yourself some time, you can keep the spring in the action by reinserting the screw back after removing the trigger and this way it is much easier to reinsert the pin afterwards.

So airging does it mean shorter barrel = better because the less time a pellet spends in the barrel, the less things can go wrong.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

After shortning the barrel by 120mm (no chokes on these cheapies) and giving it a decent crown the accuracy improved a lot, from A4 to 50mm at 40 meters. I took the spring to Hot Powder in Krugersdorp and they gave me a stronger spring, think it was some Gecado spring, but velocity is still below 700fps.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

OOOH , my confession i thought would bring me hot tongues , but instead i've opened the " confessions" page .

My name is Gerry andI'm an airgun Hacker ! !

User Info Menu

:bowdown

Ok, I'm convinced... this chop job will be my short range huting rig.

User Info Menu

Ok, No need for the chop job anymore. Got a new rifle now that is very small and light, so it can stay just the way it is.

I swopped the B2 for another "broken" B2.
    No, I'm not crazy. Wait till you here what was wrong with it... When you put a pellet in it just fell out at the other end of the barrel. :naughty

Well I stipped it down, worked on it for a few hours, and took the first test shots at 01h00 this morning. I were to exited to sleep afterwards.

There is absolutely no more spring sound. The little bit of recoil (low powered gun) that it had before is gone. The cocking mechanism is as smooth as that of my BSA.
    By the way, the BSA still impress me every time I use it.

...and for a low powered rifle it packs a punch!!! Shot a beer can, the hole was about 2cm wide.

This is definately going to be part of my hunting rig.
    I'm going to work on the stock over the weekend. The wood have a very nice looking grain, so I think a good sanding, a few adjustments and finally stained a camo green, with all the metal parts done in a mat finish will do the trick.

:1zhelp Now if I can just find a stronger spring for it, I will be as happy as pig in $hit.

User Info Menu

oops, duplicate post at

User Info Menu

I will post a pic of the completed rifle later. I finished the metal parts in matt black, glossy black stock, brass trigger, red tip on the open sight.
    I am happy enough with the rifle to keep it as it is, so I will stick to the spring that is in there now.
    I sighted it in at our range. Using the open sights, I managed to consistently get 10mm ctc groupings (5 shots) at 20m.
    That is good enough for me for a gun that cost less than 2 cases of beer. :-)

Deadlinksview=album&albumId=40[/url]

User Info Menu

Just some useless information....

A BSA Meteor spring is a perfect replacement spring for the B2.