Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise in scope height

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Default Rise in scope height

hi all

i have heard from the SA team that at the worlds there were a couple of guys who put scope riser mounts on to add +-10mm to the hight of the scope, this is add less dip to the trajectory of the pellet at 40-50m.

i have done some calculations and used chairgun, what they say looks good.

is there anyone who has mount extensions or is it better to put a 1 piece scope riser on the walther???
    if there is anyone in KZN that can help me it will be good as i will be there tomorrow, i fly in at 6 am and fly out at 7pm.

any help will be great thanks

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I agree...you get a much more workable trajectory with a high scope...and it helps with your head position too since it will be more upright.
    This is why I have a Steyr scope rail on all my Steyrs with Weaver mounts.
    Only downside is that canting effects will be more dramatic hence the need for a bubble level..

On the topic of Weaver mounts...I wish all airgun manufacturers would move across to this mounting system...it is sooooo much better!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

but in another hand, when shoot at close range 10m-15m, u gonna apply much more clicks to bring the sight and bore together...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

true Boondock...there ain't no free lunch...actually there is at my mom's house, and you can have your cake and eat it too!!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

I agree with Boondock, you will have to adjust more clicks up at close range, but all scopes gives more clear and accurate ranging at 10 - 25m, so what Errol says make much more sense. Then at 40 - 50m, if you make a mistake by 2 or 3m with your ranging, it will not have such a great effect as it has now with our current scope height. This will give you a great advantage.

I have applied the same principle with a 300m zero on my .25 - 06 rifle when shooting at over 300m, and it works like a bomb.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gents, I don't know, but is it not better to have the scope as close to the barrel as possible, hence the new Leupold scopes with the "cut out" at the bottom that fits over the barrel?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

For ordinary hunting use yes, but for FT the reverse is true to a certain point.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I suppose that is why HFT has grown so fast .

Joe Average only needs 1 gun , not a different gun and set up .

That is assuming Joe hunts and plinks with his gun , an all purpose weapon .

If its for one thing only , then if it were me , I'd do a special set up .

But realistically , 99 % of pellets I shoot are at rats , birds , and targets of opportunity .

Different strokes for different folks .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

try BKL

[link=hyperlink url]http://bkltech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BKL&Ca tegory_Code=600
    [/link]

or try thor engineering, they do custom mounts.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I just wish manufacturers would wake up once and for all and offer airguns with Weaver bases instead of stoopid rails!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Long live Weaver base! But doesn't it cost the manufacturers more to make them as it is cut much deeper and the top of the action must be very very wide. I don't really see why use Weaver base for PCP but surely for springers as the screw of the ring goes into the slot on the rail (only some bases have slot most I have seen are on the tatical guns) and the damn thing can't move....

BTW Guido you said you were going to get some rings that can move my ZOS forward on my CZ, got them yet?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no Stopper sorry...you meant the one piece 30mm mounts?

it would actually be quite cheap for manufacturers to simply attach the Weaver base to the action with screws...not actually machine it into the action.

Steyr is the only air rifle manufacturer as far as I know that sells the Weaver scope rail for their rifles.

Fits quite nicely on S400s and HW100s too!!

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

so does anyone have srizer mounts for my walther?????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry if I'm a nuisance but did Dale answer me or all of you?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie, my answer was to you.

Raising scope height can give a 'flatter' trajectory at longer ranges in FT. However there is no such thing as a free lunch, the trade off being a far more extreme trajectory at short range, also the cheek piece needs to be raised higher and canting can have a much more devastating effect, so a spirit level is a must. One other issue if you are using a very heavy scope your centre of gravity on the rifle alters and can affect stability.

All I would say is some people like it, others don't. Give it a try but don't assume that it is any kind of panacea.