Thread: PCP's without sights

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default PCP's without sights

My personal thoughts are that all PCP’s should come with at least a set of open sights, but the trend today seems to be “find your own scope”, a shame really because I enjoy shooting with open sights and feel that all PCP's would perform great in the field with a set of quality open sights and a scope adds lots to the weight. Getting any PCP without sights is bit like getting a bicycle without pedals.
    at

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sure, but superbike don't come with pedals...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

what are open sights?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Swannie , buy the bottom of the range BSA.It comes with open sights.

Lets face it these (pcp) guns are way too accurate for open sights.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Swannie , I too like shooting with open sights . Some how it feels more like " ready to get up and go" .

There are so many different types of open sight too , I'd probably go for a ghost ring rear , with a shrouded pillar front .

It would work well as a general "knock about" gun .

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Have you recently looked through a 4 X 32 scope , guys.....???? This is as close as dammit to an open sight configuration as you will ever see......!!!!!
    It would also work well as a "knock about" gun and not contribute too much to the weight either.....!!!!

Malan

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

At one time Daystates were offered with open sights, also in the early 1990's Air Arms offered an optional open sight for the 100 Series rifles.

The simple fact is that people didn't use them, hence why they have disappeared.

From a commercial point of view they were a waste of time and money to the manufacturers.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swannie, do you want to tell me your eyesight is still good enough at your age to look through open sights. I am about half your age and I am already battling to shoot with open sights. at %-6

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Francois,
    The old toppie only shoots up to 15m. Hahaha Then he gets his binoculars out to see the target.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Because all PCP stocks are made for use with scopes the best and easiest thing to do is for manufacturers to make open sigts that fits onto the scopre rail and amke a front sight that clamps to the barrel by gub screws or whatever. This is a good oppurtunity because the rear sight will fit on all rifles witha scope rail and the front sigt can be adjustable so to suit most rifles. Mkonto?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In the industry brand AR2079 and 2079a box, you get a 10m style sight and another adjustableopen notch rear and a different insert for the front sight, most people I spoke to told me they would arther pay R50 less and not have the sights. But if my AR didn't come with sights I would have to pay R400+ for them else where.....

Most people do not like challenges, they want a gun that shoots accuratly with little effort. What they don't know is a bad 4X scope without paralex is not better off then a good peep sight. Anyway, something tells me that sight will have to stick out like and AR-15/M16 sight if same stock is used, I don't even want to know how high they will be if you happened to have a bull pub stock.....

Speaking of Mkonto, what happened to Spear? I am still waiting for my barrel......

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Please consider these ideas:
    1) The scope magnification may tempt you to take a shot because the Minah are so enlarged that you believe the shot is on.
    2) When the bead is as big as the bird, you know the shot is not on.
    3) Finding your target in the bush is much easier with open sights.
    4) Rim and centre fire rifles are just as accurate and they come with open sights.
    5) If you have only a PCP and you have to teach shooting to your youngster, isn’t better to start with open sights?
    6) I rest my case for now.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

By the way, I have to use glasses for reading and drinking, but without glasses I can still see an ant at 50 meters. x)

Called Short arm sindrome :moon :toocool

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Old age gallops up on all of us , china .

Let the youngsters laugh .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did I say ant, I ment antelope.
    !sad :toocool %-6