Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring guns are accurate..........

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default Spring guns are accurate..........

They are just harder to shoot.

This is a 5 shot group that I shot at 50m on Friday evening (the calm before a very stormy weekend) at my club using my newly serviced Venom HW77K fitted with my Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari-c scope. This was shot from the FT sitting position not off a bench. I have included a South African coin for scale:

Deadlinks_imagefiles/100dspict0085_pict0085.jpg[/img]

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Yikes!!
    I see you had to use the macro function on your digital camera to take the pic...

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Great shooting, Dale
    Now before anybody gets excited about only 5 shots used in a group, this is what works for Dale and I personally believe it is enough to start measuring....
    Imagine you tell a serious darts player you do not believe in his groupings, because he only uses three darts.....!!!!

Malan :awais :awais :awais !lol

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Malan,

My own feeling is that 5 shots is sufficient to show that it isn't a fluke.

I just wish my technique was consistent enough to be able to do this all the time! :-)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is the exact reason I wanted the FWB124d , Robert Hamilton in the US has one and is able to shoot 5 shot groups with JSB's at 80 yards that measeures less than an inch to 1,5 inches. Something very interesting is that he glass bedded his springers the,FWB124d 12.5fpe and his Beeman R7 6fpe(which does 1 inc 60 yard groups) and it improved accuracy quite abit. The bedding is called Accubedding.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Dale what are you complaining about. 10c piece at 50m is +- 11mm. the kill zone is 40mm so you shouyld never miss.

i am waiting for you, i recon that you will have a difficult time at AGF shoot. the targets are camoed. 50m targets were the strings is also camoed so there is now way of finding the target.

LOL it will be nice to see you again,

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I doubt it was the Accubedding that created those small groups...I think it was the person behind the rifle..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido, No doubt about it, that rifle had the full tune,maccari kit,russ best did his part etc but he did state that the groups shrank significantly because of the accuglass bedding. Robert hammilton and Tom Jue wrote a very nice paper on airgun pest control, I will try to load it,look at page 51there he talks a bit about it :[br][file=../../Deadlinks/public/1159787116_355_FT24960_airgunhunt.pdf]1159787116_355_FT24960_airgunhunt.pdf[/file]

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Dale well done.

I could not have hoped for a better demonstration of how good German guns and scopes are.

If you did that from the FT position then you have my respect.

AFA groupings go when I shoot my guns in 3 shots is good enough for me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The best I've done with my (stock) HW97K so far is 4 shots into under 20mm at 40m off FT sitting position, am I ready to take on the big boys yet?

BTW, after 2000 shots my ZOS is still holding up well on the HW97K. I'm sure the scope killing recoil is mostly absorbed in the weight of the combination (its very heavy).

BTW I shoot similar groupings with a Gamo CFX believe it or not, we bought it 2nd hand looking rather abused with a broken spring, the spring I bought to fix it was a little too long and we had to grind a bit of the plastic away at the end of the trigger end top hat to get it to cock, then greased it up with a little moly and its been shoting sweetly ever since.

I'm beginning to wonder if these fancy 2 stage triggers are worth it...if you know exactly when the trigger is going to break, with a springer you also then know exactly when to flinch.

With the CFX trigger its pull, pull, pull, pull some more, ...take another breath..., pull, pu...BAM!...ll...works quite well for me!

Sorry to have been so quiet on the forum lately lads, this new job keeps me busy, I hope to get 3G at home soon and can post at night.

Well done SA TEAM, NEXT YEAR WE"RE NO1 FOR SURE!!!!

cheers
    Martin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh, and good shooting, Dale!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This a a 10 shot group that I shot with my Pro-Sport at 20m from the FT sitting position. The 2 flyers was me and not the rifle.

[br][img:width=200&height=190]../../Deadlinks/public/1159814133_181_FT24960_Pro-Sport_group_.jpg[/img][br]

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Allen, do we need to say more about German guns and scopes?

Do I detect a little bit of scaredness in your post, Mr EV2 ?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

While the gun may be German, the power plant in it has been largely replaced with high quality English parts and it is as smooth as you could wish.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/venom_hw77ka.jpg[/img]

Venom HW77K (scope in pic is Leupold 3.5-10x40, not the Zeiss as fitted now)

Specifications:

Base rifle - Weihrauch HW77K (made early 1990's)

Custom work:

Venom Silencer unit;
    Venom Power Pulse piston head;
    Venom Power-Lok spring;
    Venom Guide Tube set;
    Venom Set-Back trigger;
    Airgun Centre 'Zephyr' FT stock.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ahemmm, you sure it can still be called an HW77K then? Seems all on it that's still HW77K is the tube, barrel and crank... hahahaha... oh, and the trigger of course ;-)