Thread: Funny thing happened ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Funny thing happened ...

I was shooting with some friends last weekend , and I now have some questions.

Anyway , we were shooting my CF-X near Hazyview , and yes, it was hot as hell. (And humid , there was a storm brewing)
    So, there we were , shooting at a range of about 27 metres, using a deadrest, we were getting reasonable groups (I thought so anyway).

Then suddenly a few things happened, which puzzled me.
    Everything happened at more or less the same time, read on ...

Firstly (or the first thing I noticed) -all of us were suddenly shooting very high (we were just clipping the top of the target in the pellet-trap, instead of dead centre )

Then I noticed that when the rifle was cocked, there was some grinding feeling during the last bit of the cocking stroke.
    -I sprayed some Ballistol on the hinges I could see under the stock, but the grinding persisted.

Then suddenly I noticed when the rifle was fired , it sounded differently, the 'twang' of the reverberating spring was gone, I was left with only a 'thud' when the rifle was fired.

So, I took the stock off to see what was going on, and I noticed the CF-X has a hinge with two little metal wheels on both sides. (When the rifle is cocked, these wheels roll along, inside the stock on a little rail) , anyway , one of these wheels was off-round (I don't know how), and I assume this is what caused the grinding.

But then why were we suddenly shooting high ? I considered fatigue , by then we had spent about 5 hours in the sun, and as I mentioned , it was uncomfortably hot. But why did everyone ( we were 3 shooters) shoot high.
    Can change in air-pressure affect the point of impact ? Obviously with the storm (which came and went) , airpressure also fluctuated.

And why did the sound of a shot being fired also change ? My guess whas that when I sprayed the Ballistol on the hinges , some must have gotten onto the spring , and this changed the sound.... ?

The point of impact slowly dropped again , but by the time we stopped shooting (the grinding was getting worse) we were still shooting a bit high.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

broken main spring...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido, Yup, that I am 99% sure of. A lot of times when a new springer is brougt it will twang, then after about a thosand pellets the twang will dissapear and the shooter thinks the gun has settled down....but what happens is that either the spring has broken ussually at the rear or the spring has bent and is now rubbing the inside of the compression chamber thus the vibratuion seems to dissapear.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gammo springs hardly ever lasts for a 1000 pellets. That is why I use mine as a cricket bat now.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Broken main Spring ?!?
    That's not very good news.

But the rifle still works , just shoots a bit high.

Also, what causes this main spring to break ? I don't think the rifle was ever dry - fired , not even once...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Also, is there a way I can check this main spring ? To make sure what is going on?

And if I do need to replace it , is a main spring a main spring , or could I find something -hopefully- more durable ?

The rifle has only fired about 2500 shots now, I was expecting thousands more before any troubles.