Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pro-Target, probably the best designed Field Target 'racegun'

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default The Pro-Target, probably the best designed Field Target 'racegun'

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protarget2.jpg[/img]

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protarget1_copy1.jpg[/img]

The Air Arms Pro-Target has got to be the best of the race guns designed for FT. It is an accurate , reliable and easy handling rifle that benefitted from an action that was truly ambidextrous, the only feature defining whether the rifle rifle was L/H or R/H was the stock fitted to it.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protd.jpg[/img]

Cocking and loading the rifle was simplicity itself. Push down on the breech release lever (visible at left above) allowing the breech block to spring rearwards, a short pull on the cocking ears ready the striker whereupon a pellet could be thumbed directly into the rifling of the barrel - a side benefit of this system is that the rifle can be easily visually verified as being loaded or proved clear.

The particular rifle shown here has undergone some custom work, mostly on the stock, which has been fitted with a fore-end depth extension, palm shelf and upright thumb groove before being finished in a striking red 'marble' effect. The standard stock for this rifle looks like this by comparison:

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protarget1_resized.jpg[/img]

The other change on this rifle is the substitution of a carbon fibre barrel shroud with integrated air-stripper muzzle brake instead of the standard steel item. Other than this the action is as standard.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protc.jpg[/img]

The bridge type scope rail as fitted to the Pro-Target allows the easy fitting of even the largest of FT scopes, as it also features 0.7mm of slope from rear to front the need for shimming is eliminated is the vast majority of cases.

The trigger mechanism is true two-stage and fully adjustable, it has been carried over to the EV2 without any modification. The regulator is simple, reliable and easily serviced, again the design has carried over to the EV2 without functional change.

All in all I am extremely pleased with this latest addition to my collection and it shoots just as good as it looks. :love

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Dale,
    Where does the P70 action fit in before or after? Looks very similar.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08

User Info Menu

Default Go

DALE is the red one for sale i like like like :love :love :love :thumbsup :thumbsup

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Mike, If you mean the FWB P70, it was designed sometime after the Pro-T, but there really is no similarity between them when you put them side by side.

Deon - no it isn't for sale I have only just bought it!! Actually I bought it before coming down to SA, but only picked it up on my return to the UK. It is rather nice isn't it.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Deadlinks_imagefiles/protb.jpg[/img]

Detail view of the Pro-Target breech system. The breech release catch is clearly visible ahead of the AA logo, as is the cocking wing on the breech block. Both the release catch and cocking wing are duplicated on the left side of the rifle to allow for left handed use. One nice thing about the Pro-T is there is no swing up cocking lever to cause problems with scope mounting, as with several other current designs.

In this view the breech is in the open but uncocked position, when cocked it lies close to the rear standing breech face, thus affording plenty of access for loading a pellet into the barrel. The small hole visible below the bore is the transfer port, so during loading the pellet does not need to pass over a hole as in the majority of other designs.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Dale,

The way the action functions looked similar but nevertheless I believe there is a review on the new MPR FTin one of the magazines? We have a preproduction one here, arrived two weeks ago and looks as if it will be a winner sales wise...accurate and typical 400 reliability.
    Good luck with your new baby!

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Dale
    The rifle looks fabulous!! Do you perhaps have an idea of how they achieve that kind of finish on the stock?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Unfrotunately beyond knowing that it is some sort of paint process, I don't know exactly how the marbled effect is produced.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I always regretted selling my original Pro-Target that I bought from Nick Jenkinson back in 2000.

At the South Devon shoot on Sunday, I cheekily asked its current owner if he would swap it for my red Pro-T - he said yes and now I am really pleased to have it back.

It features a 22 inch export barrel, carbon fibre shroud with integral still-air muzzle brake and carbine cylinder. Although it has the smaller cylinder, the longer barrel gives improved air efficiency allowing around 70 shots from a 170 Bar fill. The action was originally customised by Nick Jenkinson as his spare action.

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/protarget_1.jpg[/img]

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/protarget_2.jpg[/img]

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Dale, carry on with this line of promoting the Pro-Target, and you'll soon become the official supplier for used Pro-Targets to South Africa! I'm still enjoying mine, and my scores are improving with each shoot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, can u organise me one of these ?

a 22 inch export barrel, carbon fibre shroud with integral still-air muzzle brake

Please man ...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The export barrels are as rare as rocking horse poo! The chances of finding one are slim but I will keep my eyes open for you.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Dale did you do the air stripper for the carbon fibre? i am looking at one for mine and or a built in silencer?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Errol, no when I originally bought the rifle from Nick Jenkinson in 2000 it already had the air stripper fitted.

It wouldn't be rocket science to make one. Do you have access to a lathe and milling machine?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"The export barrels are as rare as rocking horse poo!"

start finding rocking horse poo then ...