Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S400 power upgrade

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default S400 power upgrade

Is there an easy but safe way to up the power on a S400 carbine to say about 20ft/lb+?
    Want to use it exclusively for hunting so will need the extra power.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Short answer is you won't get to 20+ from the carbine.

However why do you need to? I've hunted in the UK for over 20 years now using 12Ft.lbs and not felt disadvantaged by this. It is a matter of keep your shot placement good and your distances sensible - high power does not compensate for poor shot placement on an air rifle.

If you must have high power buy the dedicated FAC model.

Dale

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip...I agree
    the S400 carbine is not suitable for higher power levels..

absolutely disagree with 12ft\lbs being adequate for hunting...it is only adequate in the UK since people are unfortunately stuck with the 12ft\lbs law...

If the law there was different 12ft\lbs rifles would not exist as is the case in the US.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Guido,

Whether you think 12Ft.lbs is suitable or not, it is a matter of fact that I and many other UK shooters, over a lot more years of experience than the majority of SA airgunners, have proved that it is perfectly suitable for hunting small game.

The simple fact is you do need to keep your distance and shot placement sensible. This applies equally to FAC air as well. Even with the high powered airguns you do not have the kind of energy budget in your projectile that you have with firearms, although as any ethical hunter will point out you NEVER substitute power for correct placement of shot.

You seem to have developed a power craze, well, I can talk from a position of experience - DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE 12 FT.LBS - if it is misused it can and has killed people, it is not a 'poor cousin' nor is it a toy. Comments about 'needing' high power to hunt suggest to me that people are looking for a shortcut rather than actually learning how to stalk the quarry.

In the event I feel I need more power either for larger quarry species or where long distances are unavoidable, then I do not f**k about with airguns, because they are expensive, fiddly and the (power and accuracy) return for your investment is not realistically worth the effort, so I reach for a .17HMR or one of my other firearms.

In terms of UK law I don't think it is unfortunate that we have an energy limit on our airguns, it keeps f**kwits from really causing problems for we responsible shooters through their ignorance and stupidity, while allowing those of us who learn to use our rifles a high level of freedom.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sorry

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I speculate that South African quarry is more weary than some of the overseas animals. What do the international hunters say?I might be wrong so dont bite of my head but it is plenty difficult to stalk small animals in South African terrain,either very high grass or wide open fields where I hunt.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Maybe, maybe not, but that is all part of the challenge of hunting isn't it?

From my perspective the Woodpigeons, Magpies and Crows we have over here are very canny birds (on a par with Indian Mynahs) and our rabbits aren't daft either given they occupy a fairly low position in the food chain, so I have to work if I want to be succesful at hunting.

I just get a little peeved as I have spent a long time learning how to hunt with airguns, only to see what is to be honest an ill-informed statement such as the one I reacted to above.

BTW - apologies to Yogi for taking his thread off at a tangent.

Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Im in defence with dale here...

what you shooting at Yogi?
    90% is birds right? you will go throught rock pigeons at 50yrds.... any further you pushing ethical standards...

Dassie? straight though 20-30yrds pip shot

Larger game? 12ft/lbs still works 20-30yrds or closer...

Impala? get a gun?

Obviously 20ft'lbs is better, but not that much as to criticise 12FTLBS... Your advantage at the higher power will only flattern your trajectory and wind will have less influence, but once again, that just looking for an easy way out? just learn your gun, its trajectory, and you'll be just as good as any other oak with you who's on 20.

I also doubt you'll get a carbine to 20... you'll prob get 20 decent shots at that power if you did get it.

So it would be 95% of game you can shoot at with 50 shots and maybe miss that 5 percent. or have 20ftlbs and over penetrate 95% of what you shoot at, with only 20 shots? why bother?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1162301210=Dale]
    it is a matter of fact that I and many other UK shooters, over a lot more years of experience than the majority of SA airgunners, have proved that it is perfectly suitable for hunting small game.
    [/quote1162301210]

Please clarify this statement of yours Dale. We South Africans might have had a dry season wrt air rifles but the majority of SA's over the age of about 30 either had an air rifle since they were very young or had access to one. :awais :nono

As a matter of fact, we grew up with 6 ft lb springers and many sparrows, indian mynahs. pigeons, finches perished before the BSA's and other springers. :moon

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jason, Dale,
    The standard answer you get when you ask: Why 20Ft/lb+? is "because I can." Now both of you know that I always propagated 12Ft/Lb to be more than enough. Mark my words, this type of thing is what is going to have us licencing our air rifles again and that peeves ME off big time. Further to the above I can tell you that you will type your fingers blue and talk your throat dry, but you will always have “power freaks” that want to blow the quarry away with brutal force in stead of, like you say, proper shot placement.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Francois, as with any statement we make, we run the risk of overlooking something, so I accept you have hoisted me on my petard. at
    Although given your reference to 6Ft.lbs rifles, your leaving out the start of my statement where I specifically refer to 12Ft.lbs does mean that it lost that existing clarification doesn't it? :nono :moon

Interestingly, you have then gone on to partly prove my point in respect of power for hunting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Francois,
    The fact that we grew up with 6Ft/Lb is axactly the point. No need to shoot at 20Ft/lb if you shoot properly. I have said so many times before over the last two years or more that I have been stirring the pot on this forum. Youwill also note that most of the guys that are "power drunk" have not grown up in that era.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Francois,
    The fact that we grew up with 6Ft/Lb is axactly the point. No need to shoot at 20Ft/lb if you shoot properly. I have said so many times before over the last two years or more that I have been stirring the pot on this forum. Youwill also note that most of the guys that are "power drunk" have not grown up in that era.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

guys please....power drunk??
    You are over reacting a little I think Dale...

There is nothing wrong with shooting at 18 ft\lbs...our law allows us so we should take advantage of this for hunting...
    Why should airguns suddenly get banned again if we shoot at 18 or even 24 ft\lbs with legal calibres??

I would rather shoot properly at 20 ft\lbs than at 12 ft\lbs..unless I am shooting rats in a barn..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale and Gerrief,

So true! I hope your messages penetrate.Some people seem to have great difficulty grasping the importance of this issue.
    Slow down guys and do not spoil the sport.