Thread: JAVZ...New Zealand.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Default JAVZ...New Zealand.

Good to hear from you!

Question ....Do you know of any formal bodies who shoot with spring rifles in your country or Australia?At paper or steel?

Anybody else know?

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Hallo Javz, goed om van jou te hoor, en welkom op die forum. Ek het ook in die PMB omgewing groot geword. Waar het jy skool gegaan, en wanneer. Ek het gematriekuleer by Voortrekker Hoerskool in 1980

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I was born in Pietermaritzburg in 1980. I went to school at Merchiston then went to Carte High. I lived in Lynnefield Park, just out on the Durban side of Ashburton. I really miss sitting on the side of the road on Comrades day. I've been living in New Zealand for 5 years now. I shoot at North Harbour Airgun Club. It is the only club in Auckland and the longest standing club in New Zealand. There is only one other club in New Zealand. Airgunning over here is a small sport that is growing as we speak. I have a few guns at present and they are: 1X Gamo CFX with GRT111 trigger in 177, 1X Gamo Shadow 1000 with GRT111 trigger in 177, 1X Gamo cadet in 177, 2X FX Typhoons in 22, 1X Crosman 2250 with 24 inch barrel in 22. I use Hawke scopes on my guns and have 3-9X40 on the springers and 4-12X44 on the Typhoons.[br][img:width=200&height=267]../../Deadlinks/public/1163494896_509_FT26098_big_boy_.jpg[/img][br]

User Info Menu

What disciplines do you shoot?
    We are looking at establishing postal shoots for springer rifle shooters... any suggestions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Down here we shoot sillhouettes, paper and knockdowns. We try and focus on the same as the rest of the world and as we have so few clubs we don't only shoot FT or sillhouettes. There are no seperate classes either. PCP competes against Springer and so forth.
    The hunting down here is good aswell as there is a large number of hares, rabbits, possums and magpies. The picture I posted is me with 2 magpies and a hare. The hare stretched out longer than the Typhoon I'm holding. It was a single shot kill at 40m. You guys should come see us at nzairgunners.com. You can then see all our guns and hunting stories with pictures.

As for a suggestion on springers, I'd go for knockdowns as they are my favourite.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JAVZ , the Combat Rifle guys take part in a postal shoot every year , against the Natal Carbineers .

Postal is easy now days , e'mail scores & pictures .

So it should'nt be too hard to set up .

It does however need honesty & integrity ? ? ?

User Info Menu

Interesting!
    Wish New Zealand well in establishing a National Air Rifle Body ...keep us posted.

Gerry,
    Postal leagues have many benefits:
    1..It expands membership as many who are not club affiliated become members.
    2..International and National interaction eventually leads to shoulder to shoulder matches and is a builder of friendship.
    3..The USA is promoting a 30 yd I.F.P. International Field Position match with this purpose in mind...bull of half an inch. Low cost competition the mission."Shooting Stars"

Your comments about honesty and integrity are valid but unfortunately for those who bend the rules the results eventually must be achieved in shoulder to shoulder matches and such "benders" or teams will be exposed,also appointing observers selectively prevents such activity.

South African Shooting has established many such arrangements in the past with great success.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We do have a national body for target shooting. It is called New Zealand Airrifle Field Target Association or NZAFTA for short. Us airgunners got sick of the smallbore guys getting the money for a competitor to go to international shoots and getting one of their guys to shoot airrifle and coming nowhere. Aswell we needed a national body to include airrifle shooting at the Masters Games. The games are once a year and is open to international competitors. Feb 10th next year is the first time ever that airrifles will feature. Unfortunately I don't qualify as I'm too young to enter. The age limit is set at 30 years.

Posting scores is a good way to do international shoots and we use it as forum competitions on our forum (nzairgunners.com). The only problem is the trust issue.

What are the laws regarding Airguns in SA now? We dont have any power limits over here and no licence is needed if you are over 18. Licence is needed if you are 16-18.

What is the cost of them aswell? I've got 2 FX Typhoons and they are $1350 without a scope. My Hawke 4-12X44 Airmax AO with mildot cost $220. Hard lockable gun case that holds 2 scoped rifles cost $150. Less club discount total was $1500. Thats why I now have 2. ! for me and 1 for my wife. If she is into shooting then I can spend more without getting into trouble. HAHA.