Thread: A winter evening project - S300

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default A winter evening project - S300

For a while now I have had a heavily modified S300 action that I picked up cheap from the estate of a deceased former club member.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/s300b_resized.jpg[/img]

It consisted of a very early first series S300 action that had been rebarreled with what I believe to be an Anschutz barrel, possibly originally from a Theoben Rapid 17, this has been finished off with an old silencer from a Daystate Huntsman.

Latterly I managed to acquire another S300 very cheaply that had been fitted with a Dave Welham regulator, so a little chopping and changing ensued with the reg ending up in this rifle and a non-regged S300 being sold on.

The regulator does not improve the accuracy of this rifle (which was already excellent), but does allow more shots per fill.

Last week a friend of mine started asking for a sporter stock to fit his modified S400 that he had been using for FT (he had just acquired a Pro-Target that has now become his main FT rifle), and start using the S400 for the Hunter class shoots.

As I had a spare walnut sporter stock in good condition, I managed to do a straight trade for the FT stock shown. I am not yet sure of who made this stock, but it wasn't made to fit the S300 action, looking at the inletting and depth to the trigger aperture I would say it may well have been for a Daystate.

In order for the AA action to fit the stock screw hole had been infilled with a wooden dowel and a new hole to correspond with the AA bolt hole has been drilled. With the action fitted into the stock the next problem became apparent, the tip of the trigger only just being visible at the upper point of the aperture and the trigger guard crossed the middle of the trigger aperture.

So it was modification time, first the lower part of the trigger guard was cut away as it was in the way and no longer required. Next I cut the trigger blade back to a point just above the aperture, I then drilled and tapped a hole in the blade and fitted a short length of 4mm bar to which I attached the trigger blade from a scrapped BSA Super10.

Finally I fitted an adjustable butt pad and bedded the action on a two part epoxy compund. I am quite looking forward to trying it out.

The scope is a Burris 8-32x44RA (rimfire & airgun), one of a limited run of 100 in the silver finish, mounts are BKL extended reach.

Detail view showing the BSA trigger blade, I might make a nice alloy trigger shoe to replace the black plastic item.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

when can I send you my S400 to work on ?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Allan, what do you want doing to it?

In regards of the above stock, it has been suggested that it could be an early Paul Wilson stock from the mid 90's.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nice one Dale .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Please explain the two holes in the stock forward of and below the trigger?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not entirely sure because they were there when I got the stock and I haven't got around to filling them in.

I think a previous owner of the stock may have had a small sand bag which he tied to the stock, with the strings passing through these holes.

Dale (on Jamies PC)

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Dale, how heavy is the stock?, it looks quite bulky.

How long did you have the Burris, and how does it perform on ranging FT distances?
    I use Burris scopes on all of my big rifles and find theyr'e clarrity and repeatability excellent.

I won a Nikon 6.5 - 20 x 44 scope on Sat, and wonder if you had any expeirience on them. The clarity seems to be very good. Its got extremely thin crosshairs, I think I'm going to mount it on my .22 250 that I won on the same comp last year.

The crosshairs is so thin, I dont think it is very good for general hunting, but for precision work like culling on long range, and benchrest, it would work well.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Piet,

I haven't weighed the stock but it is fairly heavy, which isn't a bad thing as the S300 is a fairly light action, so the heavy stock does improve the handling characteristics for FT.

The Burris, I have two of the old 8-32RA scopes one in gloss black and the silver one seen here. As a range finding scope it is excellent and range finds as well as a scope with much higher mag. Clarity and brightness is very good.

If I have to be critical about them they are only let down by their build quality which to be perfectly honest is not as good as it could be given the price of these scopes when they were new. Both of them have lost the click ratchet in the elevation turret. The turret still works reliably but no clicking - this loss is not something that has happpened with age either as both of the scopes are over 10 years old, it happened on both within a few months of them being first acquired (by contrast I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 that I bought s/h in 1990 and the turrests still feel as good as new).

It is a pity that Burris discontinued these scopes, had they still produced them (and got the turrets sorted) I think they would sell very well. These old RA's are still quite sought after on the s/h market.

Not had any hands-on experience with the Nikon's yet although I have heard good things said about them.