Thread: Diving bottle regulations?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Diving bottle regulations?

I was just wondering do the other shooters here also take their cylinders for the HYDRO TEST AND VISIOL test i think every 2 years for the visiol and every 4 years for the hydro becuase it gets stamped on the bottle every time it goes for these tests :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp

I am taking mine in today for the HYDRO TEST

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

YES YES

It is law!!!

Every year for a visual inspection and every 4 year for a Hydrostatic test

Mail me for a reference to a certified person for testing in the Pretoria area

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

i herman

my bottle is ALU and i have to take it every year for a visual and 2 years for the hydro, as far as i know the fire and ambulance guys have special bottles that are not for diving just for breathable air and they have to take theres is 2 and 4 yaers respectivly.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

i watched them fill my bottle then stamp it, eish i nearly dirtied my pants watching them take a hammer to a full bottle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Alu diving cylinders must also go for a test (if not already done) to check for cracks in the neck, I think it's called a eddy test.
    I recently spent about R 400 000 on my own compressor and 10x50L cylinder storage bank so filling bottles aren't a problem for me anymore (in Port Elizabeth).
    Best advice is to buy a steel bottle, 300 bar if possible, it gives you more fills, and then ofcourse to find a refilling station that will fill to 300bar, it will give you more fills from your cylinder before refilling your cylinder.
    By law visual is every 2 years, but most people recommend every year, for your own safety ofcourse. Should your bottle be "contaminated" then it will also have to go for a chemical clean.
    Best advice is to drop alu bottles and go for steel, and check that all tests were done when you buy alu bottles, you don't want a tank that fails the eddy test, the testing station will destroy the bottle for you should it fail. You don't have these problems with steel.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

only alu cylinders manufactured during a certain period need the extra eddy test.

visual inspections are to be done yearly by law...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    law on visuals is 2 years, but most if not all stations insist on doing it every year. Believe me I did the research when I bought the compressor.
    A refilling station also has the choice to not fill a cylinder should it not meet their own requirements.
    It's actually not the stations responsibility to keep your cylinders tests up to date,it's yours...should your bottle cause any damage to their equipment the owner of that cylinder can also be held responsible for all the damage caused.

as for the date of manufacture, I think it ran from about 1985 to 1995, but don't quote me of the date for the alu bottles. Only thing is that you buy it as is, therefore you can't return to the previous owner to reclaim money should the test be failed. Most dive shops will tell you to get rid of alu bottles in the "long" run.
    Bottomline is to rather insist yourself to do it every year for your own safety.
    Understand that a cylinder pumped to 200 or 230 bar is a bomb if anything goes wrong, it should be cared for , don't let them fall and don't leave them in the sun.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Neilg, what about the cylinders of PCP rifles.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Wally,
    You know the AA tanks don't have to be checked, others, especially "Dommie" tanks needs a hydro every two weeks and eddie every month

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Tsk . . tsk . . tsk. Wie stook alweer?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As sad as it is, they must all get checked, exact period I really don't know. My HW100 manual says every 10 years but I think it will also be in the 2-4 year range. By law any "container" that holds high pressure air should be checked.
    It comes back to the story of it's up to the owner to make sure that all tests are done, and with the testing of PCP cylinders I see a few problems, first of all the testing station is not qualified to strip a PCP, second there's no neck to stamp any dates on and 3rd you can't do a Hydro test on for example a Air Arms S400 cylinder.
    The reason why I say that you can't is because the cylinder is inserted into water and then pumped, if the water rises it means that the cylinder expands and the test is failed.
    Easiest is to replace the cylinder every 5 years, for the AA rifles it's not very expensive, don't know about the rest.
    So sorry can't really give you a definite answer except for that it will have to be tested, just don't know when and where.
    I will phone around and ask, will come back if and when I get a definite answer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Gerty, your facegun cylinder can't be tested must be
    replaced. Ha!ha! said the clown!