Thread: How do you explain this?

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default How do you explain this?

Went shooting on Saturday... at 50m I could not hit the killzone on a standard Gamo knockdown target. No matter how many time I tried.

Obviously some of the other guys started ragging me about my abbilities.
    So I suggested we put some beerbottle caps and shotgun shells @ 50m, just to prove them wrong. I never missed a single shot on those, but still could not hit the damn killzone on the target. :cursin

:thinkerg I think my rifle is affraid of round targets.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

what is the shape of your the beerbottle caps and shotgun shells !lol

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Shotgun shells is standing upright, but now that you mention it, I noticed a unwillingness of the pellets to get close to a Castle cap. Seems like they prefer Amstels.

Will double check this weekend with a few different brands.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have managed once from the bench, 100% windless at a shooting range to take three out of five percusson caps out of shotgun shells at 50m with my previous s400. I could not do it again. Man, I am sorry I sold that rifle.That was an accurate piece of air rifle if ever there was one!!!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Farmer ,I can catagorically say that you do not focus on your crosshairs, but on your target.

That is one of the most important things that not many people know or do, because with the way modern scopes work, your crosshair and target is both in focus, but if you aim, you tend to look, and focus to much on the target.

Try aiming and forget about the background, which is the target (kill zone), and focus (concentrate) just on the crosshairs. Thats the way you shoot with open sights, focus on the front sight (korrel)

Let me know if it work.

User Info Menu

Remember, if your rifle is set in properly, the shot will sit where your crosshairs was at the time the shot rang. That is why you focus on the crosshairs. If your follow through was correct, you will see it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Try to keep both eyes open!

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

I think Piet is right (he sure has the experience to back it up) and from my point of view in basic laymans language, "Aim small, miss small". You are aiming at a far smaller target with the Shot gun hulls and botlle caps and not getting distracted by a "large" target.
    When I shoot at an FT target I try to aim at a pellet strike (as long as your not the first person in line) in the kill zone, just aiming at the kill zone does not give you a difinite aiming spot. If you have your own knock down target try this, respray so there are no marks on the plates, take 5 shots and note your "kills". Then respray and put a +-5mm black dot in the middle of the kill zone with a marking pen, shoot 5 shots agian aiming at the dot and check your score. I sure you will see an improvement in the latter.
    Oh and all I can say is your pellets have better taste than to try Castle! He he

User Info Menu

Warrick, if you think what you just said, it is very much the same concept as what I'm talking about. Aiming at a pellet strike, forces you to aim and concentrate more to get the crosshairs lighned up with the small target, than just staring at the bigger target, and not realy taking notice of where the crosshairs is at the time the shot goes off.

Thats why Farmer shoot better on the small targets. the smaller target forces him to focus more on the crosshairs, with the target in the background. Exactly what he should do.
    On the clinic we're holding, I'll proof it to all.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Just putting it in my simple way Piet, but yes it is the same thing realy, most people shoot at the target rather than a distinct aiming spot.