Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzle flip question

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default muzzle flip question

hi all..........

(weight of) the silencer.........can "absorb" some of the flip and hence act as a muzzle flip compensator? yes?

does it matter? afa flip reduction is concerned........if the barrel is collar supported or free floated?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

a silencer will definitely help with muzzle flip...any weighting of the gun in front of the centre of gravity will help.
    a free floated barrel will resonate more.
    On a gun like the S400 the barrel is too thin to be free floated.
    On the s200 it works better free floated though even though the whole rifle is a little flimsy.
    Which rifle specifically are you talking about?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

just dreaming about an EV2 with a silencer on that's all...........

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Before I had my heavy stock, muzzle flip used to bother me. I couldn't follow the pellets flight.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This was worse without a silencer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

here comes my next question..........

using lewis' rig as example..........

the muzzle flip is absorb by the silencer and the barrel collar, hence the action then stock. so in this case the heavy stock is part of the solution.

what happens with a free-floated barrel? will the action/stock help with the flip? even though the barrel is only fixed at the breech........... or is the barrel movement independent of the action/stock????? or is't somewhere in between?

those moderators.........do they work? let me rephrase that.........what's more effective? the weight or the holes/slots?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have see that alot of the UK guys use "almost "standard AA's with compensators fitted.
    A free floating barrel of 15+mm won't flip up from its mounts.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

A free floating barrel if very thin as on the S400 will definitely absorb some muzzle flip but I don't think would be very practical.
    By moderator I assume you mean a muzzle flip compensator?
    A vented muzzle flip compensator will definitely work.

In the Steyrs muzzle flip is compensated for by a counter acting weight in the bolt which moves backwards upon firing which I believe is a better solution than a muzzle flip compensator.
    The whole rifle is absolutely dead upon firing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

shot guys.........

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Now where must I get stars if you end the post ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yo Urabus
    The EV2 migh be a tad difficult to fit a Silencer on. There's a clamp ring over the Air cylinder that has a locating pin that fits into the flash eliminator. This pin holds it in position so unless you can find a flat silencer it dont look like it will fit at all.
    Can someone give a decode list of all these BTW's and FYI's and afa's etc. I havent the faintest idea what most of them mean.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

btw, fyi, afa.........etc i actually just make them up as i go.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

this is what i want............just have a look at the silencer (bottom).
    [link=hyperlink url]http://users.skynet.be/mario.severi/airgunning/EV2.html

[/link]

so the AA EV2 compensator.......it just got holes/ports on the sides? or do they also have slots on the top?

correct me if i'm wrong.......the holes are there to divert the gas from pellet after leaving barrel.......ie still air, less turbulance...etc

and the slots on top are meant to work against the flip.......but ideally before the pellet leave the barrel?????
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Feb 25 2005, 11:54AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oooh...me too, me too. Yep, holes on the sides only. I have no idea why the holes are there, ballistics aint my arena but it makes it sound nice dont you think? I've e-mailed the owner for details anyway.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yep, as usual.........i'm getting ahead of myself here.............. i suppose i need to get the EV2 first.
    problem is that the delivery date is 2months, and on top of that i need to find a buyer for my left kidney.