Thread: Balistol Silikon spray

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Balistol Silikon spray

would this be suitable to use on pcp rifles (will it not damage the seals etc)?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I am in no way the pro on this.I have however read in a few places that you should stay away from silicon sprays .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

aaah...bugger!

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Hi Brent, its not the silicone thats the problem its the spray prpellent thats a problem, if its a striaght "pump" spray bottle it should be fine, the better o rings are silicone based anyway. I use a pure silicone grease (thanks GRA I'm still using that little tub!) on the breach o ring & any o-rings in the pressure areas.
    Just a note as I see it often, keep all "gun" oils away form your seals and for PLEASE do not squirt it into the filler port!!!!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Keep silicon based oils well away from any metal to metal contact points. It has zero lubrication properties in this type of area and will cause damage to such contact surfaces.

The only time I ever use silicon oils is for lubing rubber o-rings or if applied to a cloth for wiping down exterior surfaces. In both of these case it is used very sparingly to avoid it migrating to areas that I don't want it to go.

Just to reinforce this, many years ago I knew of someone who attempted to lubricate a stiff parallax ring on a Tasco scope with some silicon oil, within less than an hour of use after this, the ring had seized solid, just before this particles of alloy were ejected from the mechanism.

Use it at your peril................

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

O rings only, if I wasn't clear the first time.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

silicon oil/cloth are great for rust protection ie. wipe the barrel/cylinder...etc after use, but as Dale stated not suitable for metal to metal contact points.

for lube jobs, depending on the application, use light machine oil/rocket fuel/moly grease....etc

for o-rings, i use silicon/high pressure grease from the pnumatic/dive shops.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advise, the toys are still safe! (not used yet..or ever)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've still got a bottle or 2 of "Beeman MP5" full synthetic 'metallophilic' oil" - Google it!!
    Would still luv it if someone could tell me what the friggin' heck it really is and what is equivalent locally, 'cause it works like a charm on anything from seals to metal-to-metal. Makes bluing look real sexy, even works on my knives. At AU$7 imported it's not that expensive either.
    If only I had some contacts at Engen who could test it for us...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My personal feeling about silicone spray is to keep it far away from any airgun .

I used tons of it racing m/cycles , really great to spray liberally under the mud guards , stops crud accumulating there . Also spray the plastics on an off road machine , makes it look bling when parked in the garage & on the bakkie .

Oh yes , DONT put it on the seat , you'll get arm pump trying to hold on until enough mud and kak has collected to give you some grip !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ballistol is a natural product and apparently can be applied to wounds, this leads me to believe that it isn,t silicone based!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

it is not

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Can't silikon be applied to wounds either then?