Thread: Feinwerkbau 300S upgrade

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default Feinwerkbau 300S upgrade

In a fit of curiosity recently I acquired an elderly Feinwerkbau Model 300S 10m rifle quite cheaply owing to some damage to the foresight. The rifle was also quite dirty as it had been left unused for some time as its previous owner had stopped shooting.

In the UK recently theres have been a couple of shooters who have experimented with upgrading the FWB300 to give a higher muzzle velocity and energy. This is not an attempt to make the rifle a 12ft.lbs gun, just to get the best possible output from the system without overstressing it.

The original two springs and spacer in the 300 were removed and replaced either with a custom made spring, or in this case a cut down Venom Arms spring believed to be from a Weihrauch HW77. This particular spring gave a close fit over the spring guide on the breech plug and fitted comfortably inside the piston and when reduced in length gives a cocking effort not much higher than the originals.

A thorough clean and light lubrication completed the internal works. Externally the broken foresight was removed and replaced with an alloy shroud and the diopter sight substitued for a SportsMatch OP12C extended reach one piece mount and 4x28 Leupold scope that has had a custom target turret fitted to it.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/fwb300c.jpg[/img]

Deadlinks_imagefiles/fwb300d.jpg[/img]

Performance of the rifle after the upgrade has brought the MV up from a steady figure of around 520fps with 8.44gr JSB's to an average of 675fps with the same pellets for a steady 8.5ft.lbs. The action is still fully recoilless and extremely accurate even out to a distance of 50m, although the lower MV does mean it gets affected by wind to a slightly greater degree.
    The power is sufficient to knock down and reset the double kill zone FT practice targets at 50m.

This project has made for an interesting and low cost fun rifle. The only thing left to do is change the stock finish from the heavy varnish to a nice oil finish at some point.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

My FWB300S is the only rifle I will NEVER sell...!!

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Could I tempt someone with a 300SU---adj.cheekpiece etc?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

price Mike?

I thought it was sold?

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Another one!---will give you first option--only know price next year but should be under R3500-00
    Happy Xmas to you.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Thx and best wishes to you Mike..and Louis..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

FWB300s are best left to their original settings...don't really see the point in uprating them.
    The sledge system works best at the factory settings and fitting more powerful springs can do damage in the long run.

Awesome rifles...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just for your information, the sledge system is not using its full travel even with the uprated spring. So I don't believe the system is being harmed by it. If the action was slamming into the rear stop then I would agree it is harmful, but it isn't so I do not believe this is going to hurt the rifle

If you examine the FWB300 in detail it is substantially over engineered for its intended purpose, using good quality materials i.e all steel no plastic or alloy.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip...they don't make them like they used to..
    Pity about the plastic trigger guard though!

I wonder what they would cost at today's prices?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Agreed the trigger guard does spoil the thing a little, but equally where you have major structural and load bearing components you can't fault the quality.

As to costs, if the FWB300 was made now I reckon it would be considerably more expensive than the P700!