Thread: What type of new air rifle?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What type of new air rifle?

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new rifle, I have just bought a CFX Royal for plinking and would like to do some target shooting. Are there any springers that are suitable for FT or some informal 10m shooting? I like the idea of a rifle being simple and self-contained, does a PCP necessarily give you that much more for an absolute beginner?

Thanks for any advice

Merry Christmas

Anthony

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Talk to the guys of Cape town and try before you buy. Most of us lost lots of money by not trying out rifles and shopping around.

There are a few springers out there that are very good, but it comes at a price, about the same as an entry level pcp.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

for 10m target, u can try to get a Walther LG90, (Single Stroke Pneumatic), there is one for sale in cpt... last time i checked was R2500...

http://killer.iweb.pl/forum_users/metax/009.jpg
    http://killer.iweb.pl/forum_users/metax/010.jpg
    http://killer.iweb.pl/forum_users/metax/022.jpg

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

that LG90 was pretty buggered when I saw it...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Antman, seeing that you,re in Capetown I,m sure I can help. first of all no matter what anybody tells you, only you can decide what suits you in terms of feel, weight and design. The problem with p.c.p. rifles is the requirement of a fill adaptor and scuba cylinder, not so much the purchase price of the rifle (assuming you dont want a Daystate Airwolf). Dont get me wrong, p.c.p. rifles are easy to shoot in a sense that there is no recoil and they are generally lighter because there,s no spring and associated mechanism. I own an Air Arms S400 p.c.p. and I,m very pleased with it and for the money you cant do much better out of the box for an F.T. rifle. I have also owned a BAM 51 which I found enjoyable to shoot and with a bit of wizardry from the likes of Warrick May you could achieve very decent results as a good few guy,s have and at a fraction of the price. The problem with BAM,s is the availability so keep your ears and eyes open. You could probably get a BAM, fill adaptor and scuba tank for the price of an S400 or a Logun Solo and thats good value. But before you go and splash cash contact me at 084 5550012 and I will arrange for you to shoot with a BAM, S400 and my TX200 springer which incedently in my opinion is the most fun to shoot with of the three, not as accurated but more involving. Your CFX Royal should however keep you more than satisfied while you save up for what you really want and as many guy,s will tell you there is stacks to be learned from springers before you graduate to p.c.p.
    Whatever you do, listen to my advice because I was given the same advice by the good people on this forum and I didnt listen and subsequently impulse got the better of me and money was wasted!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys, Andrew will call you when I'm back from leave...

Regards

Anthony

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

CFX Royal should be very accurate, we have a CFX and I manage to shoot sub 10mm groups at 25m in FT sitting position. I can't do better than that with my HW97K, and the CFX is much lighter too.