Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Theoben gas rams with new Leapers scopes...pics!! For Sale?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default My Theoben gas rams with new Leapers scopes...pics!! For Sale?

So here we have a supermini review of the Theoben Crusader in .20 cal and the Theoben Evolution in .177

The Crusader is fitted with a walnut stock from the Eliminator range and the Evolution has a walnut stock too.
    The Crusader sports the evolution silencer while the Evolution has the additional Vortex silencer add-on.

These gas ram springers are top notch...very well built and sport excellent blueing.
    Barrel lock-up is superb and the stocks are extremely well executed.
    The finish on the stocks is of the usual synthetic urethane type and I will eventually strip it off and apply London Oil...walnut deserves it!!
    The figuring on the Evolution stock is especially attractive.

The Theoben gas ram triggers often get a bad rap on airgun forums but this is due to misadjustment and general misinformation.
    They are a bit creepy out of the box [probably adjusted so for safety reasons] but with some adjustment after having read the instructions they become very good and predictable 2 stage triggers...perfect for hunting and HFT....although never quite as good as a well fettled TX200 or HW springer trigger unit.

The Evolution is a delight to handle...it feels like a Rolls Royce when loading...very very smooth and the barrel lockup is superb.
    Very quick and snappy to shoot with a short and quick recoil.
    Very easy to keep the scope on target after the shot.
    Very consistent too at just below 12 ft\lbs...770 to 780fps with JSBs
    Accuracy is truly outstanding and it is nowhere near as hold sensitive as my TX200 or P.S.

The Crusader in .20 is a slighty different beast...at 18 ft\bs it is considerably harder to load hence it sports a longer barrel.
    Balance is more forward than the Evo but the firing characteristics are very similar to the Evo.
    Definitely easier to shoot accurately than a similarly powered HW90 that I had before.
    I was hitting spinners out to 50 yds very consistently from the FT position the first time I ever took it to the range.
    It shoots H&N FTTs [11.5gr] at 835 fps [17.5ft\lbs] very consistently.
    The JSB .20s are also very accurate but the power drops to just above 15 ft\lbs and the firing cycle is a little harsher.
    The Crusader is also supplied standard with a Theoben Dampamount.

I also bought the Theoben HE pump in order to adjust the power of these 2 rifles to get the optimum velocity out of them....very simple operation to perform.

Both Theobens have Dampamounts and I am testing them with the new range of Leapers|AGS hunting scopes.
    The Crusader sports the new 3-9X40 and the Evo the 3-9X50.
    These new Leapers scopes are really excellent value.
    They have an illuminated reticle with the rheostat control mounted on a small side wheel.
    The turrets are lockable and resettable [a good option on springers] and the optics are superb at the price.
    They come with extra Sun shades and flip-up caps.
    They are TS springer rated so I will see how they hold out on these gas rams.

I will report further on these 2 gas rams in time...all I can say is that in my gun cabinet there has been a springer revival...my springers are going to outnumber my PCPs soon!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Everybody seems to get so mesmirised by PCP's that forget how much fun a springer can be!!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

exactly Spyker...every time I open the gun cabinet I find myself reaching for a springer.

There is just something eminently satisfying about shooting a springer.
    I feel as if something is happening and it is also more challenging to shoot.

The only problem is that a cheap springer can be pretty nasty and put u off springers for life unlike a cheap PCP like the BAM which is actually quite good.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

those must have must have cost you a fortune guido....

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip..they aint cheap..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I own a Theoben Eliminator in .20 calibre and was wondering how the Leapers scopes are standing up to your Crusader's recoil? My Eliminator (factory fitted with Dampamounts) nearly destroyed the Hawke Varmint II scope I had mounted. I was also wondering if my rifle would benefit from some tuning using the HE pump?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The Eliminator is quite a scope killer...

Have you chronied your rifle?

What pellets are you using?

The Leapers is holding out very well so far...have put about 700 pellets thru the Crusader.
    According to the tests that Leapers conducted on their scopes they should hold out on the meanest springers..time will tell.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

My experience with scopes on springers that they don’t last. I shoot my springers no only with the open sights. Guido is it possible to get a gas ram for a BSA Meteor? (latest model I got one of the shelf from Nicholas Yale for R750)

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes..the Meteor takes the same gas ram as the Lightning standard and SUpersport.
    The Lightning XL gas ram is slightly different.

Arnold on this forum has one fitted to his std Lightning...

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

What do it cost and were can I get one?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Theoben UK...about R1000

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have put about 1500 shots through my HW97K springer with the 10-40x50 ZOS, and the scope is still perfect. The whole combination is quite heavy though, which may absorb some of the shock of the shot and save the scope.

Cheapy 4 x 32 scopes on other springers has cost me about 4 scopes so far.

The Leapers advertising is quite convincing, would be nice to see more comments from actual users, on magnum springers, to see how they hold up long term.

My Diana 34 and Hatsan 70 are serious scope killers, takes a lot of the fun out of shooting when the reticle comes loose and starts to unscrew or just falls over.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My Eliminator shoots Crosman Premiers (14.3gr) at an average velocity of 843fps. I've tested quite a few other brands including all the H&N pellets available but can't recall the velocities. The lightest H&N pellet (10.9gr?) was over 1000fps; wrote it down- will let you know. At the moment I've got a 'Generic' 4x32 (imported by Lynx) on the rifle and it's still fine after +- 200 shots, we'll see...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I think your Eliminator is a little underscoped!!

I have the Leapers 3-9X50 on mine...800 shots and still going well...with the Dampamount.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido, do you think the dampamount is a necessity on a "TS" scope?