Thread: need some input

Gamo's Avatar Gamo

Default need some input

Just want to find out if there is any suggestion on scopes for my GAMO Shadow1000. I currently have a Walther 4x32 Scope on which seems to be fine but is it the right scope for the rifle?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"The Right Scope" depends on a few things, I've listed 2 in no particular order of importance: -

1. What do you want to shoot at and where?
    2. How much money do you want to spend?

The Shadow 1000 is a break barrel, so longer high-mag scopes would probably be ruled out as they would get damaged by breaking the barrel.

Adjustable Objective scopes are nice to shoot with as you can focus them and you also have the peace of mind of not having parallax error, but then if you're out hunting it takes a bit longer to make your shot as you adjust each time for different distances.

I've had my eye on one of those Leapers Bug-Buster scopes Guido is selling, they are AO and make grand claims to being tough enough to withstand the shock of operating on a springer.

I've broke a few scopes on springers already, only my ZOS seems to have survived so far and its been shot with the most, but then the ZOS is probably too big for a break barrel unless you use really high mounts.

Larger objective lenses let in more light, so you can shoot for a bit longer at the beginning or end of the day in poor light as you'll be able to see your target better.

If I were in the market for a scope now for a springer, based on past experience with broken scopes, I would probably go for one of the Leapers "TS" if their advertising is anything to go by.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

I will stay with my iron sights broke to many scopes on springers.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gamo,
    I have a 1000 Shadow also. To be quite honest I think the best I can do with it when I donít plink is to use it to play cricket. With iron sites I have to set it so far left that I canít even see the green post at the back. I hardly shot 1000 pellets and the spring broke. (No dry firing) I had it in to three different gunsmiths to have the sights, barrel checked. They say it is OK. I must then be unable to shoot with it, although I might not be the next world champion I manage to hit a few targets with the PCP sometimes. . in spite of the worst trigger I ever felt I shot around 15 pigeon with it once, the other about sixty moved from my roof in fear of the near hits I had on them. AFA scopes are concerned, it also broke a new Nikko Stirling scope previously, which was replaced no charge for a better model and it is still going strong after around 2000 shots.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

hence the reason why I do not own and will never own one of the so called '1000fps" springers...

Gamo's Avatar Gamo

Thanks 4 all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I thinki that i have made up my mind now and i want a PCP but now i need to sell some of my other toys before that can happen

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would assume that the main purpose of your rig is hunting/plinking? Stick with the scope you have and save yourself money and frustrations. Rather spend the money on ammo and shoot/practise/play more, which will make you and your rig much more effective anyway!
    If you're really really itching for a new fandangled scope I would'nt go for anything more than a quality 6x fixed power scope.
    I bought me a Gamo RSV last week. Took it home, set up the Gamo 4x32 scope (which comes included with the RSV package) and started 'testing' the rig. This is my 2nd Gamo, my first one I took ownership of over 30years ago. Considering the cost, I find the 'modern' rig still good value for money and am happy to say that besides the trigger job, quality is still on par with the 30+ year old rig(back in the good old days people took pride in their handy work. S'true ask all the Toppies on this forum).
    As this rig is dedicated to plinking/hunting/pest control I am quite happy/contend with the 4x32 scope setup and will keep it so unless it comes apart or something. The Gamo RSV has ample power for what I intend to hunt out to my personal limit of 30m for this rig(If I can do something about the trigger my grouping might shrink a little for somewhat longer shots but until then it's a no go for me beyond 30m).
    Sofar I have emptied 1 x tin of 500 Gamo Pro Magnums and all is still well.
    Maybe me & GerrieF will have a 'scare the pigeons with your Gamo' one day and see what we can accomplish with and without scopes.
    BTW Gerrie, maybe you should try closing the OTHER eye when aiming your Gamo. Hie-hie..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

DSF,
    I read the other day somebody said he has never seen game die of fright. I shot at a pigeon once with my Gamo and for the love of me I could not find any wound on it neither could I hear the hit, but it doped out of the tree like a rock, stone dead.

Gamo's Avatar Gamo

Look there is no way that im getting rid of my GAMO as it is a awsome rifle but for FT by the sounds of it I think im gonna come short.
    BTW gerrief- u shooting wiff wet paper maybe...? LOL

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I own a Shadow and a CFX in 177. Both guns have Hawke 3-9X40 AO scopes and both are accurate. I have taken rabbits to 60m and have used them for FT and dropped targets to 60yds. Mine have the GRT111 triggers in them and they are a must. $32 US from Charliedatuna. He can be found on the GTA forum.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

GTA Forum?