Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40m Grouping

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Default 40m Grouping

hi Guys

what would be consedered as a good 5 shot grouping at 40m, (not the one hole that some people claim they have).

C-C in ok condition i got 4.83mm.

i want to know what the realistic groupings are, the benchrest guys will have some realy good groupings.

the champion on champion shoot proved that they small grouping are possible but still only a 19mm on the day at 50m

i have seen francois 1mm c-c at 23m what a grouping.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi T D, I got a 1.5 mm with a AA with a 3-10x42 Hawke @ 25y (+-23m) NB that's indoor,so if yours is outdoor it's good ,very GOOD, @ 40m. SHOE! WOW!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I am averaging about 9.5mm @ 50yards, 5 shot groups (total of 23 different groups) with my s400 carbine.

Gamo's Avatar Gamo

I would like to know how you guys measure groupings. Bare with me im new to the sport of FT. I know that you need to try and keep all your shots in a group but how do you go about measuring it? Do you take it from the furthest point of the furthest shot to the furthest point of the other futhest shot or how does it work? I would like to know maybe i have a good grouping who knows

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gamo,
    Normally it is measured C-T-C (Centre To Centre) So from the centre of the two furthst points.

User Info Menu

Gamo

the easiest way is to measure the 2 furthest points (the outside of the holes) then subtract the size of one pellet. this will give you a grouping size of center to center.

this is the farest way to measure groups, if you have a .22 the size of the hole will be bigger than with a .177 but the ctc will be the same as you remove the size from the equation.

i was lucky with this grouping, i shot 350+ pellets that day, that grouping was the best. it took me 45 sec to shoot all 5 shots as the wind had stopped. the overall average of the day was around 12mm ctc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

TD,
    Nothing wrong with that groupings. Next time try not put any weight onto the but. BR is shot with as little as possible contact with the rifle. Try it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi TD, listen to Gerty that is true. BR's line up the rifle on target, lift there heads(no peeping thru the scope) and squeeze it off. that's why Gerty shoots a1/2 hole @ 50m and 1 hole @ 100m. well that's what he tells me.
    Ha!ha! said the clown!

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

TD

that is what im talking about

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a few targets and photos of some groupings, shot @ 25m rested in my back yard, when I could still safely do it, that I donít think will measure more than 4 mm. with more than one pellet going into the centre of the hole, bearing in mind that it is fairly windless where I shot, that I don't weigh or measure my pellets,(yet.) I donít have the proper measuring equipment (yet) so Iím guessing here. That is the best I could ever do.

SNIPER,
    What is it you are talking about?

User Info Menu

gerrief i dont have a decent rest, if i dont look through the scope the gun moves, maybe i will get the sub 4mm if i have a decent rest that will hold the gun for me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also found that having a decent rests makes a big difference. Nickswin and company have a very nice SA built rest that works on a cam to fine tune your elevation and windage by moving a handle around. Very nice to have if you are serious about BR. I am looking at changing to BR as a more serious shooting discipline for myself. I might justify spending the approximately R2000-00 for one. It all depends on how much shooting Marguitte is going to do this year.

User Info Menu

Gerrief i have had a look on the net and found the cardwell i think it is called, Z had one at the champion of champions. on the net it is going for $650-700 thats +-R 3500 but Z said that he got it from QPR in pretoria for R1600, when i have time i will pop past there and have a look,

were can i find out the schedual for the BR shoots???? i would like to shoot one to see how it goes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

TD,
    Those are nice too but I like the handle and cam jobbies, it works so much quicker and more accurately. It was copied from an American model that costs a fortune if imported. I have shot with both and could not fault the local one in any way.
    I will see if I can get the schedule for you and then publish it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here is some groups I have recently shot with my Dommie. I shot the first set of 4 groups about a month ago and the second set of two groups I shot on 4/1/2007 @ 18h30. Both these sets are all 5 shot groups @ 23 meters. They were shot outdoors in very good conditions, typical to the early evening wind still periods we have. The bottom set of four groups were shot consecutively, as were the top set of two groups. Unfortunately the left two groups has a tear between the two groups and this piece of paper was "swallowed" by the last shot of the top group. The two lefthand groups and the two righthand groups are almost identical. I know they were not shot at 50m in gale force conditions but these groups shows to me that the rifle is indeed accurate and consistent. I have measured the outside of the holes and subtracted 4.5 mm for calibre, therefore there are two figures at each group, one for the outside and the other for the centre to centre measurement. I have used a digital vernier to obtain the measurements.

Well here are the pics, you be the judge.
    [br][img:width=200&height=150]../../Deadlinks/public/1167931758_429_FT27209_dscf0011a_.jpg[/img][br][br][img:width=200&height=150]../../Deadlinks/public/1167931758_429_FT27209_dscf0013a_.jpg[/img][br]