Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Mag for South Africa

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Airgun Mag for South Africa

Any chance South Africa would get its own dedicated airgun shooting magazine one day??? (soon???)That should stop us complaining about current UK airgun mags that we get at CNA, etc. Magnum is really doing occassional airgun articles/ reviews as a side show. It would be great to get an SA airgun mag, unless there's already one out there and I don't know about it???????????

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

doubt it very much...even our only gun magazine is pretty mediocre ....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sad isn't it. We can only read about what the British are doing with their airguns. Honestly, I think SA deserves an airgun mag, even if just a monthly newsletter or something like that, I'm sure as government gets keepts tightening the screws on everyone with firearms, the airgun market in SA will grow and who knows...., maybe the producers/publishers of Magnum might want to bring out an airgun supplement or something. But it's just sad that we have to read foreign airgun mags, which are sometimes interesting mind you, but it' just difficult to relate their experiences to ours.

Anton's Avatar Anton

Viva Zulu, viva. I'm getting tired of paying R80 for a mag filled with the same ol' ads and the same "guru" giving all the airguns he ever rates a 8/10 on the clown-o'-meter. I reckon we have enough expertise in town to draw up our own little publication.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anton, my thoughts exactly! Why can't the publishers of Magnum magazine also produce an airgun mag? They have the experts, the equipments, the loyal readers and everything else. I don't want to appear to be picking on Magnum but let's be honest, some of the airgun mags in the UK are produced by the same publishers..so it's not a crime from two seperate magazines to come from the same stable....surely!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I really doubt that the Magnum guys would go out on a limb. I mean it's still the same old trash in black and white that I wouldn't line a bird's cage with.

, but yes. I for one, would support a local airgun mag. Even an E-zine would go down well.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

not enough readers, not enough airguns..market is too small.
    Even Magnum with quite a large readership by SA standards has to resort to historical articles about the Boer war [yawn] , potjie recipes [bleh], stories about some dusty pub in the Okavango and a talking Staffie and other such stuff.
    Imagine a dedicated SA Airgun mag..???

The best info you will get on a forum like this one....keep it alive guys!!!

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

There may yet be hope guys, will keep you informed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm a little disappointed with the pessimism here. I'm sure the British or American airgun markets also started small. Not everything starts big, mind you. I think that the airgun market in South Africa is not that small, frankly. It has surely grown bigger than what it was four years ago, and who knows how big it will be in two years time, especially if the goverment continues to refuse to issue new firearms licenses? You only have to see the stuggering number of airgun dealerships across the country offering an assortment of airguns that didn't exist only three years ago. Avion, point taken about Magnum. It does lack dynamism and resorts to century-old stories as Guido says, but why do we keep buying it? Because we don't have better alternatives. Maybe Magnum are the wrong guys to explore a new venture like this. Guido, surely no one is suggesting that an airgn mag for SA will replace a forum like this. Look at the UK and the US - plenty of airgun mags and plenty of airgun website forums. The two can be complementry, I'm sure. Maybe we need business entreprenuers in the publishing industry with a bit of foresight - to create a market for an airgun mag - perhaps that would increase interest in airguns and there'll be more people visiting this site. Who knows, there might also be a rival airgun website forum to this one. At the moment, we have less than 100 people subscribed to this site but that does not mean that there aren't guys out there who have no access to computers or have no time for computers - but they still would enjoy good airgun shooting. Such guys might also enjoy buying a new SA airgun magazine if they found it on the shelves at CNAs. All those British Airgun Mags that we appear to dispise so much (and they cost an arm and a leg at CNAs across Johannesburg) regularly disappear like hot cakes from the shelves at CNAs. I'm sure that an airgun mag for SA would be cheaper, and would sell equally well if not better. Anyways, I'm sure I'm not alone from this site in dreaming about this airgun mag and hopefully the dream will be over soon.

Good airgun shooting guys.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Mar 01 2005, 08:30AM ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Hi Zulu
    I agree with a lot of the points you make but it is purely a question of numbers.
    We are comparing countries with populations of 200 million and 60 million respectively compared to our [realistic] 5 million.
    The Range SA magazine which started last year did not even make a year of publication...
    I get all my info off the net...
    Perhaps Magnum should introduce an insert magazine dedicated to airguns and see what the response is

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That's what I was trying to say, that a supplement (may be a quarterly supplement) in the Magnum magazine would do, just to help introduce the concept of an SA airgun mag and let's see what happens. Maybe I'm not being realistic - I might be too naive and overly optimistic. Maybe I should just accept the fact that we don't have the capability and the market. Maybe we are better off buying the British airgun mags for R80 a piece, together with our Magnum magazine. But potentially, I believe the market is there. For instance, all the people who own firearms, to some extent, would also be interested in airguns (in theory). So the market for airguns, in theory, should overlap with the market for other types of shooting, especially firearms shooting. So, I'm going to quietly drop the subject because it is too much of a long shot at this stage (I think!).

Anton's Avatar Anton

Magnum seems to slip in a few articles on blackpowder in every issue these days, and a "test-report" on airguns every second/third issue. One wonders whether they take airgunning seriously.
    Fact of the matter is that airgunning is a growing industry in SA. Populations aside, one wonders what the active airgun/shooting community in SA is like compared to the UK. A good SA mag at a good price might even find a loyal following among the Brits.
    I still like the idea though.
    On a slightly different topic, has SA ever manufactured an airrifle?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think the same basic answer is going to apply, Anton - the market is too small! I have never heard of one, but the experts may be able to tell you for a fact.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

how could we ever possibly compete with the Chinese?
    A BAM50 probably costs USD100 from the factory.
    We could not build the stock for that price.

Anton's Avatar Anton

To compete would be insane, I agree. Not sure though if we could offer something different to what's already available. Maybe something that'll shoot straight through a Jozi taxi will ensure a captive market.
    What ever happened to Radius pellets?