Thread: Pellets

Protea FT Team '09/'11/'12/'15/'16
    SAFTAA FT Colours '14

User Info Menu

Default Pellets

I had an interesting occurrance of the 'one barrel one pellet' phenomenon on Saturday. I was rechecking the settings on the Dommie, when I decided to switch from JSB to FX.
    I've had the tin of FX pellets for about a month but never got round to testing them. Now this was't a scientific test but more of a lets see what happens test. Both the JSB's and the FX's are 4.53. Of a rest they, surprisingly, shot to the same point of impact but with the FX's printing about 35mm to the right.
    I didn't have the time to investigate any further, so I returned this afternoon. This time I shot 10 shot strings from a sitting position again at 50 meters, indoor i.e. no wind, 6 strings of each, alternating between the two.
    The JSB's shot consistently to about 35mm ctc, I could keep the outer edges in a 40mm circle - the odd pulled shot excepting. The FX's would string horizontally about 90mm x 40mm.
    Now the FX's seem to be very well made pellets so the only conclusion I can come to is that my Dommie doesn't like FX pellets.
    Next I'll try both the JSB's and the FX's in the Cheerleader's CZ 200, she normally shoots Ultratec's. I'll post the results.

ps: If anything, this proves that if pays to try different pellets until you find the pellet that works best in your rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

To test a "new" pellet in your rifle, shoot about 30-50 pellets of the new brand only and then do grouping tests. Dont mix pellet brands while doing tests like this, well that was my experience with most of my rifles.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Lewis,
    Yes that is what I also found. I would add to that; do the excesrcise at least three times on three different days. I found that in a lot of cases you shoot differently, for some reason or another.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I thought a Dom was so good you could shoot 1 hole groups with little stones for pellets :-)

What I found with my S400 is that as the barrel "ran in" it changed .When the S400 was new it did not like AA Fields.Now it loves them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan,
    You have a diffrent shape of AA pellet since you bought your rifle or a different batch. There was some really bad batches at one time hence my changing to AccuPell, FX etc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Shooting in the UK 2005 a Engelish gent showed me how to resize a PELLET. Bell the rear (skirt ) of the pellet with a 45`taper pin with a od 5 - 6 mm. Push the belled pellet thru a pellet resizer to resize your pellets to your choice, 4.50 - 4.xx mm. Good luck and happy playing.